George Lucas sells his "Empire" to Disney

165 posts in this topic

Posted

This news is from yesterday, but it definitely merits a discussion. Even as a child of the original Star Wars era I never really bought in to the whole idea of it, I now have about as much interest in watching future Star Wars movies as I do in screwing my own feet to the floor.

Posted

Spoiler alert:

post-105334-13518757688888.jpg

:lol:

Posted

This news is from yesterday, but it definitely merits a discussion. Even as a child of the original Star Wars era I never really bought in to the whole idea of it, I now have about as much interest in watching future Star Wars movies as I do in screwing my own feet to the floor.

So you never liked it as a child, you don't like it now, but you still want to discuss it? :blink:

Posted

So you never liked it as a child, you don't like it now, but you still want to discuss it?

As a cultural phenomenon Star Wars is interesting, that's what I mean when I say it's worth talking about, the films themselves don't actually contain anything of merit.

Posted

By what/whose standards do they not contain anything of merit? They're movies for kids that have managed to entertain millions over several generations.. what more "merit" do they need than that?

Posted

They're movies for kids that have managed to entertain millions over several generations.. what more "merit" do they need than that?

There are plenty of movies for kids that are more intelligent, better narrated, and generally better filmed than any of the Star Wars movies, just because they 'entertain' kids doesn't necessarily mean they are good movies, some kids find sock puppets entertaining, it doesn't mean there is anything more to it than a hand in a sock with some eyes sewn on.

Posted

The genius of George Lucas is he created one of most recognizable brands in the world with Star Wars. I read he grossed 9 billion dollars worldwide on Star Wars products. Star Wars is one of the most successful marketing strategies ever in Hollywood.

Posted

There are plenty of movies for kids that are more intelligent, better narrated, and generally better filmed than any of the Star Wars movies, just because they 'entertain' kids doesn't necessarily mean they are good movies, some kids find sock puppets entertaining, it doesn't mean there is anything more to it than a hand in a sock with some eyes sewn on.

It sounds like you're being subjective and that you just don't like them, which is fine. Some people prefer Harry Potter etc, but that is just a matter of taste. However, saying "I don't like them" repeatedly doesn't really qualify as "discussion".

Love them or loathe them, there is no denying that the first couple were huge technical milestones and pioneered a whole slew of groundbreaking new cinema techniques, and on a shoestring budget too. I'd say that has some merit. I'm guessing a lot of the "other" movies you are referring to wouldn't have been made if not for the achievements of the original Star Wars movie.

Posted

I now have about as much interest in watching future Star Wars movies as I do in screwing my own feet to the floor.

You english are weird but yeah I concur.

Posted

so long as there's no Jar "muh-fugg'n" Jar "jack-ass" Binx, i'll check 'er out...

i still watch 'em with my kids now 'n again...

i think the clones 're pretty awesome still, tho.

Posted

The genius of George Lucas is he created one of most recognizable brands in the world with Star Wars. I read he grossed 9 billion dollars worldwide on Star Wars products. Star Wars is one of the most successful marketing strategies ever in Hollywood.

Transformers 2 grossed more than any other movie released that year, that does not mean it is is a good film.

It sounds like you're being subjective

Bingo. All opinions are subjective, but the fact is, Star Wars is not a 'good' film ;) and by the way, i'm interested to know what these 'pioneering' techniques that you refer to, are. I'm sure Stanley Kubrick and Doug Trumbull would be interested to hear this one.

Posted

So, basically: if you enjoy a certain film which is not particularly of merit, then your taste is bad and you should feel bad. ;)

But seriously, this may be a good thing because George Lucas will not be at the helm. The man may have vision and a good handle on the technical aspect but his skills in writing and directing are rather cut-and-dry.

Posted

your opinion is obviously worthless.

There was a reason for the ;) you humourless doink.

Posted

Star Wars ranks 13 in the AFI top 100 films of all time

Whatever you think of Lucas' (highly questionable in most people's view) decisions re: the creative direction of Star Wars since, well around the time of Return of the Jedi, there is no question that he was a maverick, visionary, highly-skilled director back in the late 1970s. He is also an extremely shrewd businessman. To disregard Star Wars as being "not a good film" is totally missing the point.

And both Trumbull and Kubrick (when he was still alive) had a great deal of respect for Lucas' progression of the computer controlled camera, used to great effect in 1977 and which made 2001: A Space Odyssey look positively static by comparison. You could argue it was meant to be static, but the fact remains it wasn't possible to shoot space scenes with anywhere near the kind of fluidity that Lucas and his team brought to the table.

All movies with space scenes prior to 77 also looked considerably fake until Star Wars and its uniquely detailed models, worn-out from the toll of many years of space travel, raised the bar.

Star Wars was the trigger for the creation of ILM, which single handedly revolutionised the way special effects were handled in movies. Lucas was also responsible for producing a sound and projection standard (THX) which resulted in theatre owners upgrading their equipment and ultimately improving the cinema experience for audiences around the world. THX is still a standard today in both cinema and home viewing.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. If you're really interested to know more, and you're really not just trolling for kicks, then there is plenty to read about Lucas on the internet (and not all of it negative).

Posted

I'm more 'Star Trek' than 'Star Wars', but one must admire the cinematic genius of Lucas. B)

post-133917-13519501613234.gif

Posted

Îf I ever saw George Lucas at a bar I would drink with the guy, buy a beer for the guy, and then punch the guy saying "You fucked up my childhood memories you s*n *f a bitch". Then take a picture and show it to Rinna and 3lions and say "In yo face bitches".

True story.

Posted

"You fucked up my childhood memories you s*n *f a bitch".

But, really? I mean, I know there's a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek in that statement, but surely there have been other things that have happened in your life than which caused you greater disillusionment than a movie which was little more than a 2 hour toy commercial?