Marks and Spencer takes on German market

52 posts in this topic

Posted

The British retailer Marks and Spencer (M&S) is to launch a fresh assault on the German market, following the 2001 closure of its continental stores due to poor sales figures.

But the retail giant is confident that the German online market shows signs of greater potential, and on Thursday announced plans for a localised German customer website, to be unveiled on November 19.

The company has been delivering to the country since 2008, and Germans are already among its top international customers. But Laura Wade-Gery, executive director of the chain's e-commerce strategy, sees opportunity not only in the Germans' attraction to the "traditional British style", but also in their extensive use of online shopping.

Click to read the full article.

post-46630-1351781580000.jpg

Posted

yay!

Posted

Great news, M&S Y-Fronts will soon be on their way.

Posted

Your mum will be happy.

Posted

Yes, we know. Amazingly, the Local already told us.

the 2001 closure of its continental stores due to poor sales figures

Next.

Posted

Wow... Next are coming too!??

I hope they open a Greggs here!! and not that "world wide franchise" shite from House of Pies!

Posted

so are they actually doing anything more here than just translating their existing website into German?

From reading the article, my understanding is this is all they are doing (that and displaying the prices in Euros)

Posted

And I think they will ship locally so the shipping prices should be lower. No food items?

http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/media/press_releases/new_websites_in_four_european_markets

Edit: If you sign up and accept been spammed your will get 20% discount in your first order.

Posted

From your link:

The new websites will provide customers with access to a comprehensive range of over 15,000 stylish, quality M&S products, including womenswear, lingerie, menswear, kidswear, and a selection of homeware.

Posted

Wow... Next are coming too!?

You must get out more often SP, Next Directory

Next has had a delivery service in Germany for sometime with free postage much the same as M&S want to do I'm assuming. It is not even possible to order through the UK site for delivery to Germany.

I just hope M&S don't go the same route as that will certainly limit the products that will be available in Germany.

Also, it will be interesting to see how prices compare, Next prices tend to be somewhat overinflated even after comparing the current exchange rates.

Posted

Any idea when these localised websites will actually launch? If shipping costs are lower, it'll be great. But if there's no food involved, it really won't be something for me.

Posted

to be unveiled on November 19.

Posted

Hurrah, I love M&S. It is so hard to get clothes that fit me here, they all seem to made for giants.

Posted

Let's be honest: all we actually need from M&S is the food and drink

I'll second that. The food is great, especially the fresh food.

Other than that their clothes nowadays look bland and boring, at least to me. Hardly anything Id want to wear. I think they will be onto a loser in Germany.

I can't see most Germans being bothered about buying their clothing. Also they have Peek and Kloppenburg which I think is much better than M&S.

I was in M&S's so called "flagship" store at Marble Arch in London recently and I was surprised to find it practically empty. That store used to be crammed full of customers at one time.

Just across the road from there is a Primark. That place was so full of shoppers you could hardly move.

I know there's no comparison in quality between the two, but it shows how things have changed. Primark is the new M&S and it's the store everyone raves about at least in the UK.

Posted

It looks like Dutch supermarket group Albert Heijn are also expanding into Germany. They opened their first shop in Aachen and will open another in Essen soon, its a great supermarket (just hope they still offer a lot of their Dutch produce). Hope M&S really push on and increase competition in Germany. Another good thing for them - if they are seeking recognition in Germany, statistics show they are one of the world's greenest companies in 2012. I'm still more excited about Albert Heijn though.

Posted

I hope they work on their return and exchange policy, right now you have to pay postage to send back stuff and delivery charges again when exchanging stuff which can be expensive and puts people off buying online right now.

Debenhams lets you send back stuff through Hermes centers in the first two weeks of delivery. Something M&S should think about.

Posted

Hopefully good news for me. M&S bras fit me better than any others - they're the only ones I can oder online and be confident that they'll fit. I just hope that the delivery costs are lower and that they don't use the Euro to hike up the prices and then I can save some money. :)

Shame about the food though. :( I wish they'd open a food shop. Preferably in Mainz, Wiesbaden or Frankfurt, but to be honest I'd be prepared to travel some way for it. :lol: