Caesarean births and having a c-section

64 posts in this topic

Posted

The birth of my son is imminent. Nerves are tight as he is in the upright position with ten days to go. A few days ago we were in Taxisklinik and my wife was already in the Kreissaal for the Äussere Wendung when we discovered that he had already turned upside down! Now he is again upright. So we are staring at a Kaiserschnitt.

With a 2 year old to care for they seem to me nothing but highly intensive amounts of work and huge ammounts of support I must give to my wife, a burden which I have no trouble shouldering provided I can get all the tasks done okay.

So I will be changing from the TTer who you only see a few times a year to the TTer you will barely ever see. May be one day when all is stable.

Anyone else had these Caesarian births out there?

Posted

you don't necessarily need a Caesarian if the baby is the 'wrong' way up

there's nothing more complicated or scary about them than a normal birth - what part of it do you find scary compared to normal birth?

some Germans seem to think its a bit of a failure to have it this way which increases the stress - but I don't really see why?

wife may be somewhat more inacapacitated for a while but no more than after a normal operation (ie around 6 months for almost full recovery, month for 90% recovery, first week or two tough to move about) - if you can pinpoint what you think is so scary then might be able to provide some tips

...and I'm guessing this will end up in the Family section

Posted

I had a c-section. What exactly would you like to know? It goes really fast- recovery takes a lot longer than a normal birth though.

Posted

Careful about the c-section. Get one if it's needed, obviously your baby and wife's lives are the most important things. But some hospitals/doctors like to do them because they are easy and big bucks.

Posted

don't the rich and famous often choose to have them?

"too posh to push" and all that

Posted

Don't be afraid of a c-section. I've done it both ways - both kids are fine (and so am I - physically at least ;) )

The c-section is easier for the birth.

The "natural" way is easier to recover.

If there is any risk at all take the c-section - babies are "statistically" safer that way.

Posted

Yep BR you can of course have a breech birth but they are dangerous if the head comes last and can't breathe.

Scary more due to bad memories from when my wife had to have an appendectomy in north Thailand then a tumour (benign) ectomy in Bad Tölz a few weeks later, five years ago.

Showem- I read that Caesarians earn 6 times as much money for doctors than natural births.

Thank you DDbug - taking your advice about the telly too! :P

Posted

Now if I can just get you off the tetrapack wine, my mission here will be complete ;)

Posted

I guess she'll know what to expect in terms of rate of recovery then, so thats good

Posted

Yep nurse DDbug you did!

I am only on one beer a night rations at the moment as I may have to drive to the hospital!

:P

Posted

lol - enjoy it while you can.

(my hubby was incredibly hung over when the second one came out - he'd gone out to celebrate on wed, since the c-section was set for friday, but little guy decided to start making an approach on thursday)

Posted

There is another thread about that here: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238522&st=0&p=2610715

Edit: I suppose Elfenstar found the other thread already :)

Posted

Three cesareans here. Recovery took much longer then a "normal" birth. As to the cost issue, what should you care. If it's not an easy birth why the added risk? Your not paying for it, that's why I find that argument is stupid. You/wife decide, doc will only give advice. So German sometimes on TT "Yeah but they earn 3x...".

Anyhow, a word of advice, if your not cool with seeing a gaping hole in your wifes stomach stay seated behind the screen in the delivery room. ;) Unless you want to give the team some extra work and drop cold on the floor. :unsure: I saw some pictures I can't get out of my head.

Posted

no, LeonG, didn't see that one, but thanks! very helpful...

Posted

I had an emergency c-section last July. Recovery was pretty fast considering the circumstances. I had something called a "Sanftes Kaiserschnitt" where you're cut and then the layers are "torn". The healing times are much faster when done this way.

Posted

I also had an emergency c-section after going through 24 hours of normal labour so it was a bit of a double whammy and not much fun. But if it is a scheduled c-section the birth itself should be quick, calm and easy and your wife won't have the pain and utter exhaustion that comes from labour. But it is invasive so does take time to heal. She will need plenty of help from you but that said, you will be surprised how quickly she's back up and about. Every day you are more mobile. I flew alone for the first time with my son when he was just over 5 weeks old. I still had some residual aches for some time but nothing major.

I do think however that clinics can sometimes be a little quick to go for a c-section - I'm not so cynical to say they do it for the momeny, but it is a more controlled environment for them. For your own sake make sure you've asked all the questions you want and are entirely happy that it is the right decision. I was amazed afterwards at how upset I was and felt I had in some way failed. But because it really was absolutely necessary and we had held out as long as possible and asked a gazillion questions I eventually copped myself on and realised a healty baby was all that matters. Good luck :)

Posted

... I had something called a "Sanftes Kaiserschnitt" where you're cut and then the layers are "torn". The healing times are much faster when done this way.

Can you request this or is it standard? I have read about this and heard that yes, you recover better this way. Or does each surgeon have their own method?

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has given birth in a German hospital and NOT had a C-section. I've heard that if you give birth in the hospital they'll try to push a C-section for convenience. Anybody had a positive or negative experience?

Posted

I had two normal births in a hospital in Hannover. No mention of c-sections.

Posted

My oldest daughter was born on Föhr, no mention of C-sections either

Posted

Our first child was a C-section which was probably a good thing as it turned out the cord was around his neck.

Number 2 came "normally" although it was a battle. Finally she appeared in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Posted

3 c's but due to it being necessary. They never push you into having one.

Posted

German doctors/hospitals recommend vaginal births and only recommend a c-section if necessary.

Posted

Yes, with our first child I had to be induced 5 weeks before the due date because my water broke and they were concerned about infection and because the baby was at a critical point as far as lung development was concerned. They gave me oxytocin (Pitocin) infusions and it only took a couple of hours.

Also had an oxytocin nasal spray to help with the final phases of labour with our second child because he was so large.

Are you concerned about it? Neither I nor my children had any lasting effects.

Every hospital is different. You need to find one that suits your birthing philosophy. The one I delivered at twice did not give any pain relief (I chose it for different reasons) but others will give you anything you want.