Fined for cursing at someone in English?

68 posts in this topic

Posted

So I lost my temper. I was at a gas station and while walking to the counter, this guy spedwalked and cut me off. I was so livid because even as I said excuse me, he didn't turn around. He walked back to his car and when he closed the window, I knocked on the window and called him and asshole in english. He then got out of his car and took our license plate. He then mumbled polizei. I took a picture of his car and license plate and the window I knocked on. I called my brother who has lived in Nuremberg for years and he said he can't do anything and to just drive off. I know germany has some laws that aren't really common in other countries. I've read up that I may possible owe a 900 euro fine. does anyone else know what to expect? thanks.

Posted

Oh, nojhead! relax! 900 euros could happen if you called the Polizei that..not the guy who jumped the queue!

Posted

Hello, thank you for you replying. I didn't call the Polizei, but I think the guy may have? So I could be fined for knocking on his car window? I am sorry but can you please clarify John? It happens so much here it drives me nuts and I know I should not have stooped to his low level but I just want to know what he could charge me with?

Posted

I should not have stooped to his low level but I just want to know what he could charge me with?

Do I have this right his "low level" was to cut you off while you were walking to the cashier? That's happened all the time here I think it's a sport.

Stop worrying about this. You can say you knocked on his car window for directions as you were lost and trying to find your way.

So was it that your ego was bruised because he beat you to the counter? Did you miss an appointment because you lost time because you had to get behind him?

Posted

Hello, thank you for you replying. I didn't call the Polizei, but I think the guy may have? So I could be fined for knocking on his car window? I am sorry but can you please clarify John? It happens so much here it drives me nuts and I know I should not have stooped to his low level but I just want to know what he could charge me with?

He can´t charge you with anything. He seems to be an absolute nutter! I would also recommend you calm down..in a foreign country..different language...no point in rocking the boat. Just take it easy..some people are weird and it ain´t worth the hassle, nojhead.

Just chill out! Rudeness is everywhere and it´s best just to post on the Vent thread to let it all out and start over!

Posted

He can´t charge you with anything. He seems to be an absolute nutter! I would also recommend you calm down..in a foreign country..different language...no point in rocking the boat. Just take it easy..some people are weird and it ain´t worth the hassle, nojhead.

Just chill out! Rudeness is everywhere and it´s best just to post on the Vent thread to let it all out and start over!

He may be thinking the same thing about him for knocking on his window and then getting so enraged for being cut off. The first thing to realize when you're new here is that everybody are for themselves and if something like this happens to you it's not personal. It's the rules of the jungle.

It probably made his day to see you so upset about this AND you're even still worried about this.

If I had a Euro for how many times I've said asshole here over the last 15 years I'd be rich.

Posted

not really my ego, but i think it's just rude. i was taught to say excuse me. I know it's probably normal here and i try to adjust but safe to say, that hasn't happened yet haha. I am worried simply because i know what i did was stupid and i did repeat what i said and a louder tone than usual. i shouted actually. at any rate i drove off so I don't know if I am to expect the Polizei on my doorstep soon.

Posted

Sure he can get you fine for insulting him...

Its a good job you werent back home in the states... You would probably have gotten yourself shot!

Posted

SP, he'd gotten himself beaten to death and then shot. :huh:

Posted

SpiderPig, ok so a fine of up to 900 euro. Lavendar rain, I don't understand? why bitten first? depending in which area in the states, i cannot argue the point of being shot. However, I don't experience the things I do in the states the actions here.

Posted

i was taught to say excuse me.

How long ago did this happen???

You were taught one way, but others may not have been taught the same way. It doesn't mean they are bad people,it just mean they were taught differently.

Forget about this and move on as I highly doubt that person has thought twice about you and he's definitely not losing any sleep or stressed out about this worried about repercussions.

Posted

not really my ego, but i think it's just rude. i was taught to say excuse me. I know it's probably normal here and i try to adjust but safe to say, that hasn't happened yet haha. I am worried simply because i know what i did was stupid and i did repeat what i said and a louder tone than usual. i shouted actually. at any rate i drove off so I don't know if I am to expect the Polizei on my doorstep soon.

I marginally bumped into someone today in the supermarket ( only I probably noticed it!)..the guy didn´t . I said " Entschuldigung " and there was no reaction on his part.

It wasn´t my ego..it was my 1950´s upbringing...(probably).

RELAX!!! Sorry to shout!

Posted

You were taught to say excuse me, but you weren't taught to keep your hands off other people's property?? Just saying if you're going to use that as your defense for being so pissed off at him.

Stop worrying about this. Nothing is going to happen to you. The Polizei has other things to do besides look after you for calling him an asshole.

Posted

You were taught to say excuse me, but you weren't taught to keep your hands off other people property?? Just saying if you're going to use that as your defense for being so pissed off at him.

Stop worrying about this. Nothing is going to happen to you. The Polizei has other things to do besides look after you for calling him an asshole.

LOL Lavendar, I do realize that both factors were taught to me, yet I only chose to follow one. Too bad I was too pissed at that moment to make note of that. Hindsight is 20/20 thanks for the input

Posted

You are right. it isn't worth the hassle. I just wanted to know what i should expect. Thank you for your input and I saw your second post. I was taught to say that and I lived here as a kid.

Thanks for the input John G. much appreciated!

Posted

My pleasure, nojhead!

By the way, I´m computer-illiterate but I have learnt if you want to quote someone´s post ( in this case: mine) , just click onto that MultiQuote thing on the right next to the post and it appears!!! Took me FOR EVER to learn tha :) t!!

A great Toytowner taught me that!!!

Posted

Unless he recorded you saying it, then he has absolutely no proof that you insulted him.

If the cops call around, then deny it - and it becomes one of conflicting statements and without proof or an admission, they can't do anything.

Posted

It will be recorded on the forecort cameras...

Posted

The visual, but not the audio.

He could have said anything...

Posted

Just tell them you said to him" is your name grasspole, you look just like someone I know?" :)