Going out alone to a bar

80 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I am new to Toytown and just immigrated to Germany a few days ago. I am here alone without knowing anyone, so a good way to get to know some people is to go out. I am not familiar at all with the German culture and their way of thinking, so I wanted to ask: Is it OK in Germany to go out alone in a bar or something like that, or will people think you are weird/antisocial/pathetic, etc.? Thank you

Posted

Do not worry, Niemand - it´s normal here. You are not weird or antisocial. Why should you be? Don´t you go to tavernas in Greece?

Just a point: your Toytown name Niemand suggests you may feel unworthy.. I´m probably and hopefully wrong.

Be yourself, be happy and get chatting to people in a bar...lots to talk about at the moment!

You´ll be fine if you will be sociable, friendly etc.

I don´t know where you´re living but check out the Toytown gatherings in your town and make friends.

Best wishes

Posted

Thanks john g. The reason I'm asking is because in my country sometimes is a little strange if someone goes out alone (some other times people don't care.It depends on the place (restaurant,bar) and if u r living in a city or not I guess.) The nickname is just the first German word that came to mind. I will check the Toytown gatherings as you suggested. Thanks again

Posted

Niemand: I and my girlfriend go to Greece a couple of times a year and love it. I think the problem is in smaller places for women to go alone but that´s in really small old-fashioned villages, where the old widows dressed in black go to the cemetery every day...my girlfriend and I go to Crete and know such villages!

PS: can´t wait to go back there next Spring: we love it.

But now it´s time for you to sort out your life here and I hope you have work! And you need to get started on German lessons..maybe a bit difficult.

Posted

john g. I know what u r talking about. Glad u like Greece.

I m on a trial period ("Probezeit"). We ll see how it will go. I know German on an intermediate level (almost B2), I hope I' ll improve it with the daily practice, which I cannot avoid.

Posted

Go out alone...

90% of the germans are also single...

Sdly th 1s tht rnt dnt spk txt spk..

So, you go in alone... you go home alone... Suppose just like back home!

Posted

There is a long and distinguished list of users of pseudonyms based on nobody: Edgar Allen Poe used Outis, as did several others; there's Captain Nemo, Little Nemo, a fish called Nemo (him that had to be found), Dutch author Nescio, il Cowboy Nessuno, ... I'm sure the list is quite endles, so ironically, you're not alone :)

Posted

I think it depends on the type of pub though. German pubs can be pretty formal, with everyone sat at their own table. Many pubs are considered "full" if all the tables are taken. An Irish-style pub is better for mingling, sitting at the bar, watching the football, etc. I don't have a problem going to that kind of place on my own to watch the football, but I'd never go alone to a "regular" German pub.

Posted

An Irish-style pub is better for mingling, sitting at the bar, watching the football, etc. I don't have a problem going to that kind of place on my own to watch the football, but I'd never go alone to a "regular" German pub.

I was going to suggest an Irish Pub too, I would imagine it quite hard to mingle with strangers in other pubs.

As a female, I would normally never go out on my own, but one Hallowe'en (quite fitting that today is also Hallowe'en ;) ) I wanted to go out to a party in an Irish Pub, but neither my husband or any of my friends wanted to go out as they had work the next day. Anyway, the hubby told me I should go on out on my own if I really wanted to party, I wasn't too keen on the idea, not because I didn't feel safe, but because I thought I'd be stuck on my own the whole night like an eejit, but I thought feck it, why not, if it's no fun I can always leave, to cut a long story short, I had so much fun and met so many new people that I didn't get home until 6 am the next morning.

Maybe this is a little different because it was a party, but I have never gone our to an Irish Pub and not ended up chatting to new people.

Posted

Given how it´s pretty normal to have "shared" tables here in Germany where people start chatting together (wheres it´s not common at all in Italy), I think if you, as a foreigner, go out alone in a relatively full bar you will quickly meet people. I´ve been alone twice to a German "Kneipe" and in both cases I spent my time there chatting with my table-neighbors.

Posted

When two groups share a table then conversation can start up between them, but if I'm in a pub with a friend and a random stranger sits down on his own at our table and tries to involve himself in our conversation then I will kindly tell him to fuck off.

Posted

Okay, when it´s just two people it´d be weird, but if you sit besides a group of 5-6 people then it can generally happen.

Posted

I go out alone and when I get back there's someone already there :lol:

Somehow that seems scary and nice at the same time...

Posted

Where are you located?

Try "Griechische Gemeinde"+"your town" to check if there is a greek community near your place.

Posted

I think you must be going to the wrong bars or have a face like a slapped arse smile.gif This is not my experience at all.

Ouch!!!

Posted

I've been planning on moving to Germany for a couple months now, and will move there for a year. I haven't figured out where abouts in Germany I want to live, as I am a 22 yr old Canadian guy who wants to experience the German life for a bit.

I've been thinking Dortmund, Hamburg or Munich. Not too sure yet. But anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I pretty much had the same question as the OP. I speak little German, and I'm learning now (I have trusty rosetta stone). Best place to meet people is I take it, Pubs? I don't expect people to speak English as I am in their country! But anyway, I assume pubs are the best place to go? I can't really think of other places at the moment where you can meet people socially. Often thought about joining a recreational soccer team, but maybe I'm getting a bit far ahead of myself.