Anyone speak Turkish?

116 posts in this topic

Posted

Our neighbours, or at least their guests, are in the habit of smoking in the Treppenhaus, the smoke is drifting up to us on the top floor and coming under the front door.

I want to ask them politely to stop doing this, this is the translation from Google Translate:

Komşular ve misafirler Sevgili, biz kibarca rica, merdivenlerinde sigara içmeyin.Koku bizim daire için, biz sigara içenler değildir kadar geçecek ve biz duman nefes gerektiğini adil değil.

Thanks.

Posted

Its got fuck all to do with you..

Your HV should deal with it.

Posted

I take it you're a smoker? If not, and you don't speak Turkish, why are you writing on this thread?

Posted

I think it has nothing to do with him being a man,the guy might want to watch out for some of this people as I know some can get pretty violent, not to mention their women of course not everyone is the same but he might not want to cause any waves and he is trying the note first.

Posted

One can tell Chocky is back on line... 6 Greens gone in 2 minutes!!! Kepp em coming darling! :lol:

Posted

I want to ask them politely to stop doing this,

This is where I'm confused. You say you want to ask them politely, but do you think a note is more polite than going to discuss your concerns in person?

If I were your neighbor I'd be resentful if someone left me a note in my language to complain about a concern. I'd have more respect for them if they knocked on my door and spoke to me in a polite way.

Posted

My point exactly Lavender Rain :)

Posted

'Cept if you don't speak Turkish and there are guests (not neighbours) hanging around who don't speak German then a note might just be a good idea. Besides, what's wrong with passive agressive?

Posted

"What's wrong with passive-aggressive?"? It sucks. My GerMan's American therapist is working hard to rid him of it, so it must be bad!

I think you're supposed to pick one or the other. I chose the latter. ;)

They live in Germany, so he should attempt to speak [or write, as the case may be] to them in German.

edit: I thought that Chocky is [was?] a smoker. :unsure:

Posted

Our neighbours, or at least their guests, are in the habit of smoking in the Treppenhaus, the smoke is drifting up to us on the top floor and coming under the front door.

I want to ask them politely to stop doing this, this is the translation from Google Translate:

Komşular ve misafirler Sevgili, biz kibarca rica, merdivenlerinde sigara içmeyin.Koku bizim daire için, biz sigara içenler değildir kadar geçecek ve biz duman nefes gerektiğini adil değil.

Thanks.

Just wondering if there´s a message on the wall from the Hausmeister saying " No Smoking ". I don´t know if it´s "illegal" to smoke in your building, chocky.

I reckon it would be best to have a cup of coffee with your neighbours, get to to know them and let them know your feelings. Maybe they´d agree with you?

Posted

... Maybe they´d agree with you?

Considering they make their guests smoke outside their own apartment, it seems likely that they'd agree on not liking smoke anyway. :)

Posted

If this is the only way an intelligent person knows how to solve problems is by passive-aggressive behavior that comes with the risk of alienating or stirring up troubles with their target and they think this is ok than go for it, but just be prepared for all the possible negative consequences that may come later.

post-14005-13516273498091_thumb.jpg

Posted

i cant beleive that I have just greened LR... fuck! Its time for beer or sommat!

Posted

Does it happen every day?

Does it only happen when your neighbours get a visit from friends? Is it possible that your neighbours don't want their friends smoke in the apartment, there is no balcony, so the friends step in front of the apartment to smoke. Your neighbour doesn't like, doesn't want to get in trouble with others in the house- but there is hospitality and friends are friends.

Is it worth to bother them?

Posted

Considering they make their guests smoke outside their own apartment, it seems likely that they'd agree on not liking smoke anyway.

:D

Nice one!

Still reckon a smile and a civilised chat might be best first, though. THEN send in the SWAT guys! ( But into the right place!! What was The :) Local story the other day??? )

Posted

It's not really up to you to determine what's allowed and what isn't in the Treppenhaus. But maybe you can ask the landlord to include such a stipulation in the Hausordnung, which is usually pinned on the notice board. In German of course. You could explain that smoking in the Treppenhaus is not only annoying to the other tenants but it could also be a fire hazzard.

Haven't they got a balcony they could use?

Posted

[quote name='john g.' date='30.Oct.2012, 9:05pm' timestamp='1351627543' post='2901061'

I reckon it would be best to have a cup of coffee with your neighbours, get to to know them and let them know your feelings. Maybe they´d agree with you?

Posted

Did I write that quote, Lavender? :D I´m not THAT eloquent!!