Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Converting AU NSW P2 to German driver's license

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

Searched through the forums but couldn't find an exact answer to this query.

I want to convert my AU driver's license to a German license.

I'm an Australian with UK and AU passports. I've been living in Berlin since August 2010. My current license is NSW Provisional 2, which I plan to upgrade to a full license on my next visit to Sydney in March. When I return it will still be less than three years since my first arrival in Germany.

I've been 'anmelded' in Berlin since October 2010. The date of the receipt of the license seems to be important, and apparently needs to be before the date of taking residence in Germany. So I want to temporarily de-register my residence in Germany when I upgrade to my full license to keep the bureaucrats happy.

Here's my tentative plan:

1. De-register at the Burgeramt before leaving to visit Australia.

2. Get my full license in Sydney, including a document that states when it was issued.

3. Re-register at the Burgeramt on arrival back in Berlin (around three weeks later).

4. Submit my new license for conversion - hopefully with all relevant dates in order, plus eye test, passport, etc.

Can anyone see any problems with this plan? Or any other possible solutions?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter

Posted

When did you do your driving test to get your provisional licence?

Was it before or after you registered in Germany?

Posted

Thanks for your reply!

I got my P2 license years before arriving in Germany. Maybe ten years ago. Since then I've just renewed it every few years, because I haven't owned a car.

Could this work in my favour?

Posted

As far as I know, it definitely DOES NOT work in your favour if you upgrade your licence (or renew it) in Australia and then try to change over to a German one after you have already been resident in Germany. I was able to do a straight swap on my licence because it was renewed in 2007 and I didn't move here until 2008 (and then I changed over in 2011). However an American friend told me that if, for example, I had had to renew my Aussie licence in 2010 i.e. when I was already living here, the German authorities do not like it.

BTW what is a P2 - sorry if I am a bit dim - I got my licence in 1985 I think and it just lets me drive whichever vehicle I want (i.e. manual or automatic) - is the P2 just for automatic or something?

Sooo if it does not make a difference whether you have P or P2, then I would suggest just changing it over now to a German one.

Posted

no...renewing your licence has no effect. It only means that rather than just showing your licence to show when it was valid from, you have to get an additional document to say that you already had a licence before.

The German authorities want a document to show when you first got your licence. They know that in other countries licences are periodically renewed and that this may occur after you've already moved here. In fact, I renewed my Australian licence after I moved here, showed them an additional document I requested from Australia, that proved that I had already been driving for 10 years before I even got here and it was no hassle at all.

Getting your licence in Germany is expensive and time consuming, and they want to avoid residents from going to countries where it's easier and cheaper, and specifically to avoid the German system. By renewing your licence, you aren't trying to cheat the system.

As far as upgrading goes, I would guess that you would receive the equivalent of the type of licence that you had when you first moved to Germany. However, what you end up getting very much depends on the documentation that gets supplied. If the RTA give you a document that says you first received your licence at some date before you moved to Germany, without specifying what type of licence, then the German authorities will probably assume that it's the licence you currently hold. The problem potentially occurs because there is no German equivalent of a P-Plater.

I would go to the relevant office in Sydney when you're there and tell them your problem. Perhaps they can help you out, by upgrading your licence and then giving you a document that says when you first got your licence, without specifying that it was provisional, and that it's only just been upgraded to a full licence.

I've made some pretty unorthodox requests from government departments in Australia over the years, and found that if I'm honest and upfront about it, that they'll almost always be accommodating. Particularly in these sort of instances, where they aren't providing false information (it's merely lacking in detail), there's no detriment to them and it's a considerable help to you.

Posted

Thanks for all your help - good advice. Thanks. :)

Posted

Hi, I'm wondering if above worked out for you? I have a slightly similar situation. I have lived in Germany since 2008, and did not take the steps for the German driver's license as I have not been driving here and was overwhelmed by the paperwork. However, now I would like to start using Car2go, and they need a German driver's license.

I have a Mass drivers license which was renewed in 2011. From what I understand, this is not good as it was renewed while I was registered in Germany (even though I left for several months out of the year and also spent a lot of time in the U.S.)

I am now wondering if I unregister for my next trip out of Germany and re-register on my return (a total of 3 months outside and not a visa issue since I have a UK passport) if I would then be able to turn in my license for a German one?

This is obviously working the system a bit, but it really seems entirely unnecessary to pay massive amounts of money/time to take a test when I have been driving for decades.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone.

Thanks!