Single/Young people trips for Christmas time

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I'm a young single guy, a professional, and I've only recently moved to Germany as of the beginning of September. Originally, my plan was to fly back to Canada and spend Christmas with my family as most people do. My family in Germany is going away for Christmas on their own vacation. I'm starting to have second thoughts because a good friend of mine planted the seed of an idea, and that is to stay in Europe.

I'm hesitant to go home because I just got here and have barely began to get set up here. It's expensive to fly home and time consuming as well. I came here to try everything new, have some fun, and build a life here, not to hold on dearly to my Canadian life and culture. Going home after four months is about the same as every university student does. I know my family will be really, really disappointed, but they have also accepted my decision to move here originally.

Does anyone know of any groups, organizations, or companies that do Christmas holiday/traveling for young people in Germany or Europe? Not even festive at all, say just a warm/tropical destination and being around other people in a similar situation.

Posted

Egypt? Morocco? Should be warmer than here.

Although.. I quite like the cold of winter and all it brings.. snow, Glühwein, Christmas markets, sparkly decorations, Christmas cake and biscuits...

How about going to a travel agency and asking there? They're the experts.

Posted

Better move fast, though. People tend to book Christmas and New Year's trips far in advance.

Posted

And if you don't want to be alone over Christmas... get together with some single friends. I've got one coming over from Finland for six days (staying at my place) and one extra for Christmas Eve (I'm cooking) and there will be four single people around the table for Christmas lunch. Four different nationalities, all without family nearby.

Posted

Young, single and Canadian = ski break in Austria I think. Some companies like Contiki/Top Deck I think do tours - often for groups coming from London, but I found this one which is "meet us there" so I assume that is for people already based near Austria. I did a Top Deck around Europe tour in the early 90s which was great fun, although there are always a few bogans on the tours...

http://www.contiki.com/tours/xmas-and-new-year#&terms=&order=relevance&order_direction=&slider_min_departure=2012-12-25&slider_max_departure=2014-11-22&slider_min_length=5&slider_max_length=10&slider_min_price=155&slider_max_price=5083&last_minute_deals=false&repopulate_countries=true&experiences=filterxmasandnewyear&travel_filters=&operational_region=2&countries=austria

Posted

does...not...compute

www.tropical-islands.de/en/

Posted

Unfortunately most of the popular companies that do that sort of thing for young people are in the UK - the market for young travelers is much bigger there as it tends to be the Kiwis, Australians & the occasional Canadian who do these kind of trips. I would recommend Topdeck over Contiki, but there are others too, such as First Festival Travel or Travel Talk. Some trips start from London, but some are the "meet us there" sort of thing.

Doing a tour like this is certainly not the cheapest way to travel, but sometimes it's fun if you want to meet new people and it also takes the planning hassle out of the equation.

Posted

My university has an on-campus travel agent. Maybe you could check at your local university or at a STA office... they cater to students so you might very well end up on a trip with many other young students.

Just had another thought... if you just pick a random warmish city (somewhere in southern Europe) and head to a hostel, you are definitely likely to find other young people. Many young travelers don't head home for christmas.

Posted

These answers are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, guys. Very helpful start.

I hate tours in a lot of ways, but they are a great way to meet people in an arranged manner. I

Answer about spending with other single friends: I don't have many European friends at the moment. Still building my social life here but it's growing very very quickly.

Posted

I had a bit of a similar experience during my internship, of not going home to family for Christmas. I found that being invited along by a couple of new friends to spend time with their circles was enough for the most part. We went to at least one Christmas market and I spent all of the 25th on a train to visit a friend's family in Berlin for a few days, which I think helped since I wasn't sitting at home alone to think about what I was missing. I skyped with my family to do some of our traditional activities on the 24th, which made me feel connected to them. Other than that I prepared myself to feel lonely ahead of time (set expectations low), and enjoyed the snow and German Christmas spirit a lot. :)

Posted

Have you considered going to a city which you find interesting and staying at an independent hostel?

Things have probably changed since i traveled this way, but in most places, there was some sort of community room, living room or bar and it was pretty easy to sit down and start talking with complete strangers and end up going out for drinks or dinner. It is also a great way to meet people who might be interested in the same tour or activity as you are.

Posted

A couple of years ago I wanted to go away at Xmas and ended up going to Tenerife for a week. The resorts are relatively quiet, but 80% of the people there go every year for Xmas and everyone was chatting to each other and welcome you. I made a lot of great friends and went back the following year to see them all again.

Posted

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the ideas. It got my gears flowing.

Just in case there's anyone else with a similar situation in the future, I'll leave info on what I've ended up planning.

I'm on couchsurfing.com and there's lots and lots of young people in a similar situation as me. I posted a "looking for Christmas buddies" type post, and got a few responses and ended up settling on going to London with a few young traveling Aussies, Americans, and Canadians to a rented holiday house outside London. We'll be doing the whole £5 secret santa gift, dinner, and drinks in ridic christmas sweaters. I'm heading north up to Edinburgh after christmas to see a friend for new years. Should be fun!

Cheers,

Aaron

Posted

Sounds like a great solution, and a lot of fun - thanks for posting a follow-up, this often gets forgotten and it's good to know what happened in the end.

Posted

A couple of years ago I wanted to go away at Xmas and ended up going to Tenerife for a week.

A good friend from my Segelflugverein goes every Christmas to Grand Canaria (he flew out today).

Hes just over 50, single & also meets up with the "regulars" from the previous n years.