Couch to 5k Introduction to Running

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

I've heard for a long time about the Couch to 5k Running Program and been putting it off and off. I'm not a blubbery wreck having biked rather a lot this summer and attend a gym when I can but since biking season is coming to an end I needed a new challenge.

This morning I downloaded Week 1 of this bloke's podcasts and put it onto my Samsung. Tooka good half hour of procrastination - you may have the impression I am some mad keen excercise nit - nothing could be further from the truth - and I put it on and started to do the walk/run exercise described. I ended up without too much pain - I have jogged in the past and felt it painful which I don't think is good.

The weather outside is manky in the extreme, and quite the contary to thinking "No I'll stay in" this is the ideal conditions to get out and start this program. Pre-winter before the November blues hit us is just the right time, after Christmas is also the wrong time to start up exercise as it never lasts. So is anyone else going to start this up?

Posted

More importantly, why are expats creating so many nonessential threads? In Orange County this would never happen.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Get a Nike Fuelband.

Posted

I enjoy exercise, but abhor running. The only reason to run is if the cops are chasing you. :P

Posted

I did it, got me back to running without knee pain. Hit the 5K annnd... remembered how much I hate running and haven't run in over a year now.

Posted

jeremy: If you've been biking (i.e., doing some exercise already), then why not just run 5km from the get go?

Just go on to googlemaps or google earth, plot out a 5km route or if you have one use your GPS watch and start running, very easy pace, if you have to stop then start walking, don't stop unless you really, absolutely have to, pick a spot in the near distance and tell yourself you'll start running again when you hit that point. Start running again, do the 5km like this. Next time do the same again but try to do it with less walks in-between, after 3-5 sessions you'll most likely find you can run the whole thing at an easy pace without having to walk.. then it's all just about improving your overall 5km time.

For me the C25K programme is more for people who do bugger all exercise and/or are very overweight and need to ease into it.

Posted

You could also continue with your biking - the season is never really over (unless it gets very snowy or icy). You can get a pair of rain pants and a good jacket and you'll be fine on the bike.

Posted

For me the C25K programme is more for people who do bugger all exercise and/or are very overweight and need to ease into it.

Now that makes a lot of sense. I already use GPS Logger to log my bike rides. I think I shall hit the five already.

my motto tends to be: why make life easy when you can complicate it?

Posted

You could also continue with your biking - the season is never really over (unless it gets very snowy or icy). You can get a pair of rain pants and a good jacket and you'll be fine on the bike.

Thing is, I live higher than most near the Alps and the snow when it arrives tends to stay longer here than for others. So yiou are looking at round December putting the bike away and thinking about Langlauf. We have an excellent trail about 300m from the house.

Posted

jeremy: good luck! Oh and don't worry if you get a stitch or 3 when running, it's normal and prepare for your legs to probably ache for a few days afterwards, it's just them saying "fooking 'ell, what did you do to us?!", after a few sessions they'll shut up and resign to the exercise :)

Posted

cycling/running use the leg muscles differently, not too mention cycling is zero impact vs. running's, or rather jogging's, high impact on the legs and joints. most sports physiologists generally recommend easing into a new exercise routine to minimize the risk of injuries, something we old buggers have to keep in mind. YMMV of course.

Posted

poohsan - my problem is waking up stiff in all the wrong bloody places in the morning. What exercise makes you more flexible?

Posted

Good point there about impact. When I was trying to force my sorry ass to go running, I did too much too fast and got shin splints something cruel. Even walking was agonising for a while aftre a run. Had to quit for about a year. Still have to be Really careful: I cannot run more than about 2 km on hard surfaces. Have to pla routes in the forest etc.

Nearly up to 10 km now. I hate exercise frankly, but it's a necessary evil in my book. Running is nice because you can listen to music or think stuff though, it's not totally dead time.

Pilates is Great for flexibility ;) But for not feeling stiff after a run I recommend proper warm up stretching and most importantly, proper cool down stretches, too.

Posted

chaos - I only ever run on forest trails. I'm impressed that you got up to almost 10k. That is my goal really. When I was working in Oberhaching I used to run round Perlacher Forst and got it up to 9.7 but never over 10 so it is a goal of mine. I did have my distances up to about 7k in the forests near my town here a few years ago and that was a wonderful feeling.

Posted

Eh, Jeremy, the next 2k that I want to add to my route includes a hill! Might not manage it... bloomin' eck, Brandenburg is waay too flat. Sucks. I guess you have mountains to run up and down... where's the jealous emoticon?

Btw, I started slow. I used to do a 1 k run and think I was doing soooo well ;P

Edit: and there's a chance we'll be moving to Bristol next. After Oxford and Berlin, I probably wouldn't be able to run 0.5 km in the hilly city!

Posted

Good luck with your training and have a good time with your program.

What is your goal or what do you expect to get out of running?

There is a lot of enjoyment to be derived from simply getting out and running a few days per week as a break from regular life. If you can run in a park or on trails and commune with nature, then all the better. Every time you get out and run for 30 minutes or more without grinding your body down too much, you can add a couple of units to the positive column of your health balance and once you get into a routine, it should become something you look forward to. If you start to feel pressure or stress to get mileage in, then it might indicate some problems with your training plan. In middle age ;) working out should be fun.

Posted

poohsan - my problem is waking up stiff in all the wrong bloody places in the morning. What exercise makes you more flexible?

Yoga and/or something like morning yoga. I'm hooked on 3-4 times per week of 30 minute morning yoga routines via yogavibes.com. There are other websites that you can use, most are pay subscriptions but not too costly ($10-20 USD per month) - definitely less than any gym membership and much less intimidating when you can do it in the comfort of your own home. Plus, the workout is shorter. I just grab a towel and do the stretches on the living room floor in the morning... I also do 10-15 minute routines on the same site, sometimes right in bed before falling asleep. I'm a totally inflexible endurance runner, so these routines are more like glorified stretching/relaxation/restorative than actual yoga. But, I noticed I'm improving since I started in July and I feel a million times better these days. Sometimes I also do the chair yoga routine where I stretch my neck, shoulders, back, etc for like 15 minutes. Has cured my chronic pain there... So search around the net and try some of them out. Some are better than others.

chaos - I only ever run on forest trails.

Oh, I prefer to run on forest trails - did 12k today!!! Deserted and lots of lovely trees along the trail and nice tree colors along the lakes. I'd stick to the trails and to what you like. I use mapmyrun.com and recently a friend of mine got me hooked on Fitocracy, a new social media tool where you track all your progress, earn achievements, collect points to get up new levels, etc. It's not really something I *need* to keep me motivated, but I can totally see how it works for others. You can be totally anonymous on it, unlike with Twitter, facebook, etc, which I also like...

Posted

I did this the other year. After about week 4 I decided to run 5K just to see if I could do it. About 3 months later I ran a 10K just by upping the mileage every week. It was an extremely slow 10K in downtown London so that was really cool. I learned I don't have a competitive bone in my body though and haven't run as much since. I need to get inspired again.

Posted

Yoga and/or something like morning yoga.

Oh, I prefer to run on forest trails - did 12k today!!!

12k - bugger am I jealous!

Actually there is a yoga class held in my kids school hall every Tuesday. I did a few seessions before school hols started - the class was full of lovely slim fit ladies - eyes away jeremy!, and yet I think I'll start up with that too in winter.

Posted

Thanks for showing me this thread Jeremy. I have just got back into running after about 6 months of doing virtually nothing.

Curious to know if anyone has any successful tips on improving 1.5 mile run times? I am aiming for sub 9 mins 30 seconds in under 2 months from now. Not sure if this is unrealistic or not. I did 5km tonight with 4 x short sprint bursts at the 1, 2, 3 and 4km marks. I think interval running is what I need to do. Google comes up with lots of strangely complicated suggestions, none are ideal in that I am limited to a treadmill for the next 5 weeks.

Any ex smokers here notice a big difference when they quit? Could probs do with some encouragement in that regard too :)