Reciprocity of unemployment benefits

37 posts in this topic

Posted

I've just finished one temporary job and am due to start another in December. I've been registered with the job centre since April, and kept up my registration to cover the present gap. Before I came back to Germany earlier this year I was in the UK, a registered MHz patient and paying

National Insurance.

Now, I know that I would normally be entitled to any German ALG, but what abut that reciprocity thing? I don't even want money necessarily, but it would

be nice to have my Krankenversicherung and Remtenversichering paid!

What's the situation? Am I eligible?

Thanks for any tips!

Posted

No answers to this? Anyway, I have a different question.

I've contacted the Barmer and they will insure me at my new place of work. In the six weeks intervening I will be mostly in Guyana, so unless anything untoward happens to me before next Wednesday I'm safe, I presume? I do have travel insurance: Santander's travel insurance offered with their Silver Account.

Posted

Just noticed the typo in my first post. I meant to say I was an NHS patient.

Posted

I guess I missed the thread the first time around.

I've been registered with the job centre since April, and kept up my registration to cover the present gap.

If you want to leave the country (or even the city in which you're registered) on a private trip, you need to either first apply for permission or de-register from the JobCentre. If you de-register from the JobCentre you'll have to pay for your own health insurance.

Now, I know that I would normally be entitled to any German ALG, but what abut that reciprocity thing? I don't even want money necessarily, but it would

You need 12 months of contributions to be eligible for ALGI. If you made unemployment insurance contributions in the UK in the past two years you can use them to meet the 12 month requirement.

In the six weeks intervening I will be mostly in Guyana, so unless anything untoward happens to me before next Wednesday I'm safe, I presume?

If your Wohnsitz is in Germany, you're still required to have health insurance while you're on vacation. You could theoretically abmelden before you leave and then anmelden when you return, however, I wouldn't recommend it (for many reasons).

Posted

I don't even want money necessarily, but it would

Where is the difference? You would still be claiming a benefit..

Posted

I guess I missed the thread the first time around.

If you want to leave the country (or even the city in which you're registered) on a private trip, you need to either first apply for permission or de-register from the JobCentre. If you de-register from the JobCentre you'll have to pay for your own health insurance.

You need 12 months of contributions to be eligible for ALGI. If you made unemployment insurance contributions in the UK in the past two years you can use them to meet the 12 month requirement.

If your Wohnsitz is in Germany, you're still required to have health insurance while you're on vacation. You could theoretically abmelden before you leave and then anmelden when you return, however, I wouldn't recommend it (for many reasons).

Thanks! I'll 'see if I can get a freiwillige versicherung with the Barmer.

Where is the difference? You would still be claiming a benefit..

I'd say it's quite a difference. A different amount altogether.

I have no scruples accepting a benefit in principle, if I qualify.

Posted

Just spoke with the Barmer. They said that to get a Freiwilige insurance they have to charge me according to my husband's income, as he is a Beamter.

That's very bad for me. He has a good pension, but he's in a care home costing Euro 2600 per month. Leaving just enough for me to get by on.

Will they take that into consideration? If not, VERY bad. :(

Posted

Contact Starshollow or John.G for advice. Due to your age, private insurance for even a short period of time could impact your eligibility later for public insurance.

You might be faced with the choice of staying here and claiming benefits (including health insurance) or going on your trip and having to pay the full premium for public health insurance out of your own pocket.

Posted

I definitely don't want private insurance .

I want freiwillige insurance till I start working again; and I am definitely going abroad. Just that if they calculate my premium based on husband's premium it will be a very right squeeze.

Posted

Sorry, but since your husband has private insurance they are within their rights charging you the Hausfrauentarif, for details please see the last time you asked, post no. 12 in Public health insurance options.

Posted

Thanks, and OK, I get that and will pay my dues, whatever they are. But I was wondering about the following paragraph:

(1) Für freiwillige Mitglieder wird die Beitragsbemessung einheitlich durch den Spitzenverband Bund der Krankenkassen geregelt. Dabei ist sicherzustellen, daß die Beitragsbelastung die gesamte wirtschaftliche Leistungsfähigkeit des freiwilligen Mitglieds berücksichtigt.

That sounds as if they do take into consideration your means. Anyway, I will pop into the Barmer office tomorrow and see if I can sort it out somehow.

Looks like it will be in the region of E 400 a month out of pocket.

Posted

OK, the Barmer guy advised me to go to the Arbeitsamt so I did and it looks like the answer to the thread topic is yes.

I showed them my documents on British National Insurance payments and they gave me a lot of paperwork and I told them I'm going to visit my mother and they said I have 21 days and I said OK and they gave me a new appointment on 20th November and it looks like it will all be sorted then. I wil have to cut short my visit to mum but that is OK; it's not as if it's a hotel or anything where I'd lose money. So seems it will be OK.

Thanks to all who helped.

Posted

Just to round off this thread:

I ended up cutting short my visit to Guyana just so I could stay within the three-week limit for ALG recipients - but in the end decided not to apply. I just felt it w wrong, to claim in Germany using British contributions.

My main issue was getting health insurance while unemployed, and I applied to Barmer for a Freiwillige insurance under the Hausfrauentarif, and I got it. At 165 it's very reasonable and much less than in thought it would be, so in guess they did take into consideration the care home expenses.

It's good thing i came home early, too; that week there was the perfect job at my preferred employer available; a week later and the application deadline would have been closed. I've had an interview and it looks very positive. The job referred to in the OP didn't work out - the colleague who was going to be I'll for six months unexpectedly got well and returned to work! This new job is better as its permanent.

But even if it doesn't work out, at least I've got affordable insurance!

Posted

i have been serving in Germany with the British forces in Germany for 20 years, i will be leaving the forces in 10 Days and remaining in Germany. i have registered with the Arbeitsamt today. however unemployment benefits i am not entitled to apparently. can anyone tell me where to find information on the EU Regulations where i can state i have paid national insurance in the UK for the past 24 years and that entitles me to Benefits in Germany?

Posted

can anyone tell me where to find information on the EU Regulations where i can state i have paid national insurance in the UK for the past 24 years and that entitles me to Benefits in Germany?

The short answer is that paying national insurance in the UK does not entitle you to benefits in Germany. It's obviously way more complex than that and I'd recommend reading this thread for some information and links: Hartz IV for foreigners in Germany - Info on claiming unemployment benefit . As far as I understand the situation you have to be claiming unemployment benefits in your home country and can sometimes transfer those benefits to Germany for three months in order to look for a job here. But you don't automatically have a right to benefits here just because you've paid social insurance in another EU country. Don't be put off by the title, by the way, the topic covers both unemployment assistance (Hartz IV) and unemployment benefit, as far as I remember.

Posted

Thanks, i was by the arbeitsamt today, they informed me that i need to request the U1 form from the UK and then to have paid into the socialversicherung for more than 1 day to be entitled to ALG using the Form U1. doesnt make sense to me ...why for more than 1 day. i suppose the main thing is i am now registered there and that will help with the job search, as many companies wont take you unless you are arbeitslos registerd.

Posted

Paying into the UK system entitles you to a claim in the UK. If you want to claim in Germany you normally first have to file the claim in the UK and then you can apply to transfer it to Germany for three months.

You'll have to ask the British Forces whether any special rules apply to you since you were serving here in an official capacity.

i need to request the U1 form from the UK and then to have paid into the socialversicherung for more than 1 day to be entitled to ALG using the Form U1. doesnt make sense to me ...why for more than 1 day.

On the other hand, after you have worked in Germany (even if it is only for one day) you can apply for German benefits by combining your contributions that you paid in the UK.

Posted

If your husband is a Beamter, can't you be insured over him? I don't know how that works, I just know my old neighbour, housewife for 40 years and married to a Pensionär, is insured via his insurance.

Posted

i have just done just that, as my wife works and i will be unemployed and not entitled to ALG, i will recieve my own insurance card from ATU BKK under my wifes name at no extra cost.

Posted

Welcome to TT, and liberty, robbo193 B)

As a member of NATO forces under the provisions of the SOFA you are probably (other than your EU citizen and spouse of a local national status factors) in the same category as members of the US Military in Germany. Effectively invisible to the German civil state which is why, I imagine, the Arbeitsamt told you about this 1 day Sozialversicherung rule. Sounds like a kind of administrative 'pump-priming' measure to generate data. That would typify the German Beamtenmaschine grinding in to action like a steam-punk Bismarkische Leviathian.

You might try looking for links to more info from here -> Jobseeker's Allowance in EEA countries - DWP The UK Government's Dept of Work & Pensions are the folks who should have your NI contributions records on hand at Newcastle-on-Tyne, I think.

2B