Family-friendly vacation spots in Bali & Indonesia

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Perhaps this is a long shot, but has anyone visited Indonesia with the family?

My husband and I are wanting to go to Bali for a vacation, but we have a (now) 8-month-old so obviously have very specific wants and needs. We went to Bintan for the weekend - an island resort close to Singapore and it was ideal for us because we didn't have to leave the resort and they had a shallow, 0.5 m baby pool. Our wee one is simply too young for the beach (him being sweaty, the beach being sandy, getting into his mouth, eyes, etc.). There are lots of blogs, etc. about family-friendly Bali, but our child is simply too young for these activities. We might want to do a small bit of site-seeing, but mostly relaxing. And since this will be our honeymoon and we'll be with an infant, we're not shying away from resort-type spots

We'd also be interested in Malaysia if anyone has any suggestions.

Posted

Hi there,

We went last year with our little girl to Indonesia to spend her first Birthday there.

As my roots are in Indonesia/Thailand (my parents,I was born in Holland) it had an extra something special about it.We went backpacking from Jakarta-Bandung-Yogyakarta-Bali and then to the Gili Islands (as we love scuba diving).

We travelled a lot before our little ones first Birthday but backpacking was a new adventure for us and it worked out great!

She was a star and loved it (which made it so easy for us)!

It was all about good planning and taking our time. Some things we planned ahead and some we did at the destination itself.

Everybody was very helpfull and kind.

We went for a month and saw some amazing things and met new people.

And of course you have to avoid the sun like everywhere else in the world. We always had a morning dip and a play in the late afternoon on the beach.

For us Bali was to "busy". A lot of tourism, especially after travelling through Java.

The place we stayed in there was really nice and new. We had a private terrace which led us straight into the pool.

If I understand your wants and needs correctly Bali will be a great destination for your honeymoon. It is very child-friendly, All-in hotels, beach just 1 step away and if you want a luxury day out you can hire a private chauffeur to drive you to some nice spots.

Very relaxing for you and you can have a bit of sightseeing.

This year we travelled around again, but as we loved the experience with our little one in Asia + we like the food ;), we are off again!

Next week we are off for a month in Malaysia, flying into Singapore actually :D.

If you want anymore info, please don't hesitate to PM me :)

Posted

Ah, you've been to Bandung too? We're planning a long weekend there in November. Then I guess I should PM you before your trip!

Posted

I live in Bali but I would only recommend you stay in Sanur, (the other side is a nightmare) the hotels are nice n yes kid friendly, lots of families with small children come here..I for one love Bandung. shopping shopping but outside up the mountains is just lovely :-)

good luck

Posted

Wow, well cool!

My husband was reading up and he mentioned Ubud, pretty views overlooking rice terraces, etc. But I will mention Sanur, obviously. Our baby will be going on a year by the time we go so maybe sand won't be such a issue.

Posted

Hi Elfenstar, i came from Bali and last year we visited the island with our then 17 month old. We stayed at a resort in Nusa Dua for some part of our holiday and it was really easy, swimming pool before your door step, open access to beach, friendly and helpful staff, etc. we went to Ubud too, you can cycle around the rice terraces but for this i think you need to leave the baby at a child care facility, so you need a hotel that offers one. I think it shouldn't be a problem if you choose five star hotels/resorts, but eileenro surely knows better about this :)

Posted

I've been there a few times. Nusa Dua is great, it is a nice green area, quiet and relaxing, closed off in some areas and with the sea right there, it's a sort of safe international bubble area for tourists. If you also want excitement you can take a cheap taxi to the city. Ubud is very different, loud, exciting, full of people, hot, monkeys, dance, temples, rice paddies, terraces and an easy trip out to see the volcanic lake up at Batur. You could mix them up, 1 week in each then back to the beach for a couple of days.

Posted

Bali is a good place. And I agree on Ubud. It's the artistic, cultural area of the island, so more laid-back and not much of the noisy bars and clubs. Then just take some tours around the island. Your baby might enjoy the Monkey Forest.

The Gili Islands are all beautiful and well-worth the trip. You can have a totally relaxed holiday there, only if you don't have a baby with you. There are no big resorts there, and salt water for showers is common. Might not be the best place if you have a 1-year old.

Maybe you can try to go to Bintan again? Not sure if you know the place, but I stayed before in Bintan Lagoon Resorts. Huge place, very good clean swimming pools, huge restaurant, nice clean beach. For the honeymoon part, you can have romantic dinners at the outdoor beach restaurant there. They serve excellent steak.

Malaysia - try Tioman and Kuching. I'd personally recommend Tioman Berjaya Resort. You might get bored in Kuching.

Posted

I must disagree with stomp on 1 thing :)

We spent a few days with our little one on the Gili Islands (Gili Air) and we loved it.

Our time there was relaxing and well-worth the trip even with a 1 year old.

She had friends instantly, locals + the little locals and a little girl from Canada.

The owners and staff of our resort were amazing with her.

Our resort on Gili Air had a fresh water swimming pool straight in front of our bungalow which was perfect for morning dips. More than enough shaded areas and as for cleaning the little one, fresh water out of bottles (provided by the resort) She had lots of fun :)

So in our opinion, it is definitely worth visiting and also with a little one.

So yes, no big resorts like all-in hotels. But there are some nice resorts which are good for the little ones.

It was for us a good and relaxing experience :)

We are off to Malaysia this Sunday, so I will look up stomps advice about Tioman and Kuching.

Posted

..Maybe you can try to go to Bintan again? Not sure if you know the place, but I stayed before in Bintan Lagoon Resorts. ...

We went to Nirwana Resort, but we'd like to go someplace else for our honeymoon just because we can "pop over" to Bintan again for a weekend if we want. So it sounds to me like we can do this with our baby. Great to know, thanks!

Posted

@Naomi - I guess you're right. I don't really know how to handle babies so I was assuming that if there's sand everywhere and no fresh water, it would be really painful :lol:

@Elfenstar - No worries, I hope you guys enjoy your honeymoon. At the end of the day, it's not where you are, but who you're with. Have fun!

Posted

Back from nearly 2 weeks in Bali - 6 days in Ubud and 6 in Bingin near Uluwatau (west side of the Bukit Peninsula). Our now 11-month-old survived! So did we:-)

It was our honeymoon, so we opted for private villas with pools and it was the right choice for us. We took along the stroller, but only used it the first day in Ubud, which wasn't a mistake per se, but the sidewalks are horrible and narrow and we were much faster with him in the baby carrier (ErgoBaby). And because we wanted to protect him from monkeys and the (over)friendly Balinese, we preferred carrying him around, switching from front to back carrier and taking turns carrying him.

Though the place at Ubud had no pool fence, our room had double doors facing the terrace and the room was actually very child-friendly so he loved walking in circles around the bed, but then on the 3rd day we rented a playpen from Balibaby, put it on the terrace in the shade and had time, both my hubbie and I, to take dips in the pool or sit and read without worry. They delivered the playpen and picked it up from our villa in Bingin. The bungalows in Bingin were run by Australians and they had a pool fence, but we had an outdoor seating/covered area where we put the playpen. But oh the mosquitos! Ugh, ugh, ugh!!!

I bought sterilizing tablets to clean his bottles, though of course we used bottled water for his milk and brushing teeth. He loved the pool, enjoyed eating lots of fresh fruit and aside from being awoken to a gimongeous thunderstorm the night before last (and being a bit scared) and the night a mosquito somehow got underneath his mosquito net and made a feast of his cheek and ear, is now snoozing and seems fine. He ate some sand and tried to drink the water in the pool, but again, seems ok.

Oh, on the way from the airport to Ubud he did vomit 3 times in the car. So we now know our wee one gets carsick :-)

Posted

Hello,

Do your self a favour and look into Club Med Bintan. All inclusive resort that also caters for children, for example they even have a baby food station at the meal buffets.

Especially since it is your Honeymoon you want to make it memorable. You can get a ferry from Singapore and on arrival there will be a bus to take you to the resort. If you don't want to go in the bus with all the other guests just ask for a private transfer as it is your honeymoon. Let them know it's your honeymoon and no doubt they will do something special for you.

oh, I'm jealous...

Posted

... We went to Bintan for the weekend - an island resort close to Singapore ...

...Do your self a favour and look into Club Med Bintan. All inclusive resort that also caters for children, for example they even have a baby food station at the meal buffets.

Especially since it is your Honeymoon you want to make it memorable. You can get a ferry from Singapore and on arrival there will be a bus to take you to the resort. If you don't want to go in the bus with all the other guests just ask for a private transfer as it is your honeymoon. Let them know it's your honeymoon and no doubt they will do something special for you.

oh, I'm jealous...

Thanks for that advice :)

We really enjoyed Bali and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone traveling with babies or toddlers.

Posted

Thanks for that advice

We really enjoyed Bali and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone traveling with babies or toddlers.

I am so glad you all enjoyed Bali I am a resident 15yrs now, live in Sanur so next time someone from TT visits give me a buz would be nice to meet some of you :D

Have a look at my profile i do B&B in Sanur everyone that has been here have enjoyed it. Lots of ppl finish there last days in Sanur before they fly home :D

Posted

Ah, you've been to Bandung too? We're planning a long weekend there in November. Then I guess I should PM you before your trip!

I just love Bandung, the ppl are so friendly and the shopping what can i say :D I try and go at least 2 times a yr