Decluttering your life

93 posts in this topic

Posted

I´ve lost your phone number, Jeremy!! Does that count? :D (Please PM it again!!).

Agree, though, in all seriousness, it´s liberating! It took me until 4 years ago to throw away all the essays I ever wrote at University..me thinking I might need them again for some ever reason. No, it was my ego talking. They were crap when I wrote them and they still would be!

GREAT idea for a thread, by the way!

Posted

I have been decluttering seriously for about 18 months, but it's a constant and on-going process. Especially as I have two little ones who create art and clutter and HA constantly. For me, at least, it's like AA- something I need to do a day at a time, one foot n front of the other, dealing with my book addiction as I go. Flylady.net has helped a lot.

How is it going, Jeremy? Is it something you have achieved or-like me- something you know you will need to work on for the foreseeable future?

Posted

I've been seriously decluttering for the past month or two, but there is so much more to do. However, it isn't lying around - it's in plastic tonainers and shelved in the garage, so everything looks deceptively neat. I've tried it before, but this time for sure!

There are hoarder shows on TV that I watch just to keep myself on the strait and narrow. It would be easy to be a horror show of accumulation.

Posted

Declutter your mind and the rest will follow.

Now that would be the challenge of a lifetime.

We're constantly decluttering and getting better at it every day. Very liberating having to do without all the STUFF that no one really needs.

Posted

Did it when moving to Germany - out of 70-something boxes, five ended up in the garbage.

The problem is that, six months later, I see them building up again - a little thing here, a little thing there, something broken which I'll fix some day, something bought and never used

Posted

We have been having a very invasive and unpleasant ratcatcher experience over the last few months - fine when he was in the garden and the shed, less so when he announced that the house was an 'issue' and he may be calling in an 'amt' as he had 'concerns about the children'. No matter how we explained that 4 kids have a lot of crap, or that we were only really camping here and our actual life (and furniture) is with Paps in NRW, he wasn't having any of it. Result - we got rid of probably half of the crap, we got some furniture from IKEA, now at least 3 out of 4 have an actual bed, and Paps has learned to wire light fittings, so the house has rooms we can use at night as well. And, because we have tidied up, there went the last reason why we couldn't ever have a dog (cat having died in April - she was the other reas..excuse) and so now we have Poppy, there should be a big TADA photo moment, but the technology is beating me at the minute.

It has been awful, but things are better with less gear (rat man still not happy). Up with decluttering, Jeremy, we probably all have ADD if only we knew. It is hard, and for us is a daily uphill climb, but it is worth it.

Posted

Sounds to me like you have ditched the booze...

No more "whats your fav LedZep track" or "Fav Mr Bean Sketch"!!

B)

Posted

Whenever I think of clutter, I think to myself that it's not fair that some day my children will have to deal with it.

Posted

Declutter your mind and the rest will follow.

Not easy when you have ADHD. :P

Posted

I have been going through the process of retiring and talking to Deutscherentenversicherung. It seems that they want every piece of educational and official paperwork I have ever received in my life (from 4 different countries). I told them that, after a number of international moves, most of that stuff is long gone and they could take a running jump but a German colleague was amazed that I had not kept everything. He has every bit of paperwork he has ever received in a number of lever arch files. wtf!!!

Posted

I'm working on a 20 Gig MP3 fileset of my CD collection too. All must go.

I don't understand why people do this. What happens when the computer or whatever your storing them on goes phut and you lose all of your music? Let's face it computers are crap and have a nasty habit of breaking and not allowing you to access the info. If you've still got the CDs you can easily get it all back.

Posted

I find that moving around all the time helped to keep things simple. I never moved with furniture.

However, I've been back here now for a long period of time and the last move was with furniture (only about 1.5 km from the last flat).

I do the occasional stint of decluttering. A friend of mine is in a Tauschring, so I often give him stuff - mugs that people have given me but I never use (too small) or scented candles (which give me headaches) or scarves that I bought but no longer use and so on. One man's junk is another man's treasure is what I say.

Oh, and it took me waaaaay over a decade to get rid of my university notes and essays.

And then I did Open University courses... I remember once getting rid of 40 kg of paper in one day in my flat (yes, I was sad enough to weigh it).

Posted

Flylady.net has helped a lot.

Is it something you have achieved or-like me- something you know you will need to work on for the foreseeable future?

I checked out that site ages ago and found it all very woman oriented. my biggest problem is bloke stuff. I am very very guilty of rooting through the elektro schrott bin for technology stuff. I've done well - found USB card readers, camera gear, USB hubs, even set up our home wifi out of the bin - all for the challenge. But I ended up with lots of stuff which yes ended up back in the bin. I love electro recycling - my wife gets a free 2 year old high spec PC which her company throws out all the time - so I love repurposing old gear.

No more "whats your fav LedZep track" or "Fav Mr Bean Sketch"!!

Can't resist Two Ronnies sketches though. I light candles every morning at kids' breakfast time. How many? Four candles!

Whenever I think of clutter, I think to myself that it's not fair that some day my children will have to deal with it.

When my parents moved from North Wales to Chester I had to spend a week helping them fill a skip with stuff. One of them was a load of old wood my Dad kept for years "in case". Valuable lesson there!

I find getting divorced on a regular basis helps enormously.

Excellent idea Andy! I hate never being able to use the sentence "You're as old as the woman you feel!" when the wife is a year younger. Need to trade her in.

but a German colleague was amazed that I had not kept everything. He has every bit of paperwork he has ever received in a number of lever arch files. wtf!!!

Guilty German wife downstairs in the cellar are shelves of this shit.

I don't understand why people do this. If you've still got the CDs you can easily get it all back.

...is the right answer. I even have my vinyl albums in the cellar.

A friend of mine is in a Tauschring,

What's a Tauschring? Is it something Jeremy....must resist...?

Posted

I think, like a lot of folk, a push came to declutter after I had to take apart my grandmother and aunt's households and deal with throwing away masses of stuff. I had most of my clutter (except for the books) under control until I had kids. Now it is a constant swell and every step forward is a fight against falling backward.

But I love Germany for this. Everything decent goes outside my door with a sign saying it's for give-away and it generally takes 10 minutes or less. I use the recycling hof for electronics that are broken (they are eagerly taken by the men waiting outside), the recycling bins and the donation bins- I never have to feel like I am putting things into the waste stream that shouldn't be. Even the books go to the public library (which in Berlin is very happy to get good condition English language books).

Posted

I find getting divorced on a regular basis helps enormously.

Haha! Nice one Andy!

My Ex upped and left - leaving me not only with my own pile of collected junk/valuables/memories, but his!!!

I now have double the junk and no idea why he kept what he did, when he did, so basically, theoretically, I could just take the whole lot and dump it... though I bet he would come running the very next week asking for whatever I had just gotten rid of!

I must say though, the house is a LOT tidier without him! :D

Posted

Jeremy

http://www.tauschen-ohne-geld.de/node/36289/

Basically, you exchange stuff or services with others. Without money passing from one hand to the other.

Posted

I don't understand why people do this. What happens when the computer or whatever your storing them on goes phut and you lose all of your music? Let's face it computers are crap and have a nasty habit of breaking and not allowing you to access the info. If you've still got the CDs you can easily get it all back.

Back stuff up.

I just moved house last week and took at least 10 loads of clutter to the Wertstoffhoff. (Dump) So I feel partly decluttered. But I had difficulty with:

• Perfectly good pieces of wood. Dumped! I was a fool!
  • My daughters things like first Christmas cards and paintings with a wobbly "Daddy" across it. Kept!
  • Keepsakes including papers with sentimental value. How much can I take to the grave? Kept!
  • VHS Cassettes of favourite films: Dumped! Floppy disks and audio casettes were done last time. DVDs! I'm watching you! You could be next.
  • CDs. What a waste of space. Rip them, then pass them on to some sucker.
  • Phone chargers or netzteils for things you may no longer posess. Kept! I promise I'll dump them soon.

Posted

Nina - we have a "Tauschzeit" scheme in our town but I am not aware of stuff being swapped.

Posted

we just took a shedload of stuff to the Diakonia in Munich so have decluttered one room at home.

got a few others to work on now!

it's easier to declutter if you know good stuff is going for a good cause.