Now's a good time to consider switching to Android

272 posts in this topic

Posted

So I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a 7 inch tablet. In the end gone for a Huawei Media Pad as it was the only device I could find that had all the features I wanted at a reasonable price.

In a week I've got tons of fun games for the kids loaded. All the music I could want through simfy (they really need to get it so you can download to the sd card). All the magazines I could with for through Zinio and managed to sideload netflix and itv player so I can use my vpn to watch tv. Not got BBC media player working yet but I hope that's only a matter of time. GPS working fine so satnav with Google navigation or waze working perfectly.

What's not to like?

So is it really worth spending all that money on an iPad?

Posted

300. Not see the 3G Samsung at 270 anywhere. Always seem way higher than that. All the reviews were very positive.

Posted

270 is for the smaller 7in model. 300 Eur is for the 10.1in wifi only model. You can get it here for 295 - Link

They also have the 7in wifi/3G model for 319 Eur.. A bit of searching on the various shopping, deal, auction sites

will turn up lower prices. If your looking to get a 3G enabled model then look at the provider websites as these devices

are usually given away for free in conjunction with a data plan.

Posted

So, How well does 4oD and Demand5 work with the tablet in Android? Are there proper apps, and do they have full screen playback? Likewise, if no apps, how about those two on-demand services through a web page?

I have been considering this device for a short while. It is Android, connects straight to a TV via HDMI, and should run Android apps. My main purpose is to get the two above mentioned services working on the main TV. But I have heard that not everything video related also works with Android devices.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/09/this-30-stick-turns-any-hdtv-into-an-android-powered-smart-tv/

Posted

I don't mean to come across as a Luddite, but what is the point of having a tablet with an HDMI port? A tablet is supposed to be mobile - does your existing computer not already have an HDMI port, so that you can stream your movies from your computer and feel free to jauntily and wirelessly carry your nice light tablet around? At that point, how is a tablet different from a heavier laptop if all you do is tether it to your big screen TV via a cable?

Don't get me wrong - an HDMI port is a nice-to-have feature, but I can't tell why a tablet with relatively limited space would be superior to a lap or desktop with 30x or 40x disk space just to hook it up to your TV, at least if mobility is the point. Or is the trend that tablets will replace all of our other devices?

I don't mean to be a smartass, just genuinely curious.

Posted

^^ I agree perfectly, but the HDMI point was in relationship to the Android device I linked to. I used this thread as it was discussing Android, and mentioned the BBC iPlayer.

I generally use my iPad for viewing television, and when not mobile, I Airplay it across to the big TV. This does a perfect job and is really a killer feature. But although there is a brilliant 4oD app on the iPad, Channel 4 have blocked Airplay. They are one of the very few broadcasters that do this.

So, I am looking for a really cheap alternative to get 4oD on my TV in a Sofa friendly environment - i.e. easy navigation with a remote, and not needing a laptop and lengthly cable.

Posted

I don't mean to come across as a Luddite, but what is the point of having a tablet with an HDMI port? A tablet is supposed to be mobile

Personally I travel a lot and being able to just hook up a small device to a hotel TV and watch BBC, in Japan, for example I am hopeful is a read advantage.

And the kids can hook it up and play games on the large screen.

Posted

I would have stayed with the mainline companies/products, all of which are 100x better than Huawei products.

What's the problem with the Huawai tablet hardware?

Posted

Huawei produces OK cheap-ish hardware, I have a Huawei MiFi since last year and so far I am satisfied with it. But an Android tablet is something else, if you choose one that is not massively used then you will most probably be stuck with the Android version it came with.

Plus be aware that ICS (the most popular version with current tablets) is kinda the Windows Vista of Android, so I have no idea which version of Android those Huawei have, but I would prefer something with the hope of getting Jelly Bean someday.

This is after our experience of getting burnt with a smartphone stuck with Froyo and a tablet that came with ICS but that probably will never get JB.

Posted

I have a new Google Nexus 7(16G) and am super happy with it. Being Google, I hope it will be able to take advantage of the newer versions of Android software.

Posted

I'm certainly going to be interested to see how the upgrades go. From my understanding Google are aware that they have issues with suppliers not upgrading their devices and were trying to put more effort into getting devices updated quicker?

Of course the Nexus 7 is the way to go if you want guaranteed updates.

Posted

I wouldn't say updates are such a problem as long as you stick to the popular manufacturers (Google, HTC, Samsung, Asus). Having a well-known device means being part of a large community, which leads to pretty big chances of someone coming up with innovative ways of rooting your device and flashing custom ROMs.

Don't be scared of rooting and flashing, it has become (in most cases) an issue of "download - run - click Yes - Congrats, now you have a rooted device". The same is valid (in most cases) for flashing custom ROMs and for returning your device to the initial state (for warranty purposes).

Posted

Any Android tablet is good. if it has a decent screen

Don't worry about updates. Root tablet and you can easily get them, if your manufacturer doesnt provide them to you straight away.

Posted

I really hate that the Android Youtube app has TrueView, those video ads you can skip after 5 seconds. They confuse my kids and sometimes they are not even appropriate.

Thanks Google, you expect me to spend my expensive mobile bandwidth with your video ads.

Posted

And the iOS Youtube app doesn't have this? <_<

Posted

The last time I used youtube on iOS, ummm, no, iOS didn't use that horrible TrueView thingie.

Not saying it won't come in the future, but you did ask the question...

Posted

Yes but it's nice to know that Android is getting these things first! Ner, ner-ner, ner, ner!

Honestly DK.

Posted

And the iOS Youtube app doesn't have this?

I don't know about the new Google's Youtube app for iOS, I do not have iOS6 in any device yet. But the old good Apple's Youtube app does not have that crap.

Posted

I don't mean to come across as a Luddite, but what is the point of having a tablet with an HDMI port? A tablet is supposed to be mobile - does your existing computer not already have an HDMI port, so that you can stream your movies from your computer and feel free to jauntily and wirelessly carry your nice light tablet around? At that point, how is a tablet different from a heavier laptop if all you do is tether it to your big screen TV via a cable?

I don't mean to be a smartass, just genuinely curious.

Depends on your setup and what you're going to be watching. I would definitely use the HDMI port on a tablet to stream live sports, home library etc. Space around my TV is limited, so it's a bit of a pain in the arse connecting the laptop to the TV (laptop is 18.4"). A tablet with HDMI would be ideal.

Don't get me wrong - an HDMI port is a nice-to-have feature, but I can't tell why a tablet with relatively limited space would be superior to a lap or desktop with 30x or 40x disk space just to hook it up to your TV, at least if mobility is the point. Or is the trend that tablets will replace all of our other devices?

I agree, I don't see any reason to put a video onto a tablet hard drive to watch on TV. I would just stream the video on the tablet, but not everyone would have the same setup I guess.