Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need temporary Internet help (fastest possible)

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone

I am renting a studio in Niederrad for the next 3 months. I require an internet connection, but as it is not my place, I think installing a phone line etc is out of the question.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to getting a decent(ish) speed internet? I have used a dongle with SIM from O2 and it was awful, cost me nearly 70 euros to buy and hardly ever had signal. So ideally I want to avoid this type of thing again.

I have access to an internet cafe across the street, but I really need at my own leisure for study.

Many thanks!

Posted

in addition to my message, i would ideally like to skype my family and have read that certain usb sticks do not allow this... i have looked at mifi adpaters and such but dont really understand them or how they work

does anyone know of a temporary contract which allows decent speeds?

cheers!

Posted

I am in Kelsterbach at the mo, using a MiFi on o2..

It works well for me and Skype is no problem...

Posted

cool, are these pretty straightforward to use? Do I just buy the device or does it involve SIM cards etc?

Posted

I would check what sort of deal you can get from your cable provider

Posted

Pre paid sim with Stick.. 10€

MiFi unit.. approx 100€

Chuck away stick... Put MiFi unit on window ledge where signal should be good and Voila!

Posted

I'm moving to Berlin next week. Previous tenant in my apt told me he had O2 so if I want the quickest connection this would be the way to go as no engineer would be required.

Would I have to sign up for 12 months if I go that way? Sorry I don't have German yet so cannot read the websites!

MiFi sounds good but how strong is the signal? Mostly I will be using it for Facebook, Emails and Skype and I presume there's a cost per Gb.

Any help welcome as I've never done this before. I don't mind initial outlay of €100 but ongoing costs worry me!

Posted

Hi there,

My advice is to get a flat mobile internet deal from 1&1:

Tablet Flat

9.99 € / month without minimum contract period

Unlimited Mobile Internet

Up to 7,200 kbit/s Download

After a data volume of 1 GB/month, reduced speed of 64 kbit/s

You can use this with the mobile router that you have already bought. Alternatively, you can buy the 1&1 Mobile WLAN-Router for 69.99€, or if you take the 2 year contract they will give you the Mobile WLAN-Router for free (promotion valid until the end of the month).

You might be wondering, what's in it for me?!

Well, as a happy customer I can recommend them, and if you subscribe to your contract using my referral link, I will get a small bonus on my account :)

I can help you order and set things up.

Happy surfing,

m

Posted

are you in Germany or UK?

in Germany I got from Tschibo about 15 euro a dongle and simcard, it worked okay till I installed home internet, it connected from all kinds of places, but I can't say it was fast although sometimes it was. I think the charge is 10 euro guthaben once per month or/and when you want it credited.

Now for mobile I have Blau tel and net in android and not using the netbook with the tschibo dongle. But the mobile internet in android does not work well I often get ''NO RESPONSE'', although I think its the phone's (Samsung) fault and not the Blau network.

Posted

Do stay away from the simcards Lidl sells for mobile internet, NO SUPPORT!!

Posted

Theres also free Wifi all over the place.. Grab your laptop and head to the nearest starbucks. (Or other coffee shop)

Posted

Theres also free Wifi all over the place.. Grab your laptop and head to the nearest starbucks. (Or other coffee shop)

"There is " Thanks for the PM Keydeck. I got this... :lol: Kidding eh, grow a pair...

Posted

Do stay away from the simcards Lidl sells for mobile internet, NO SUPPORT!!

This is true. I bought the LIDL internet stick with the Fonic connection (which is actually O2) And couple of days since registering I was unable to go on Internet at all. My German was really poor at that time, so I requested the customer support in English. After a few hours, they called me back, and the man on the other side of the line after some 10 minutes of @#$(@))___#(@ told me that problem is actually caused by some huuuuge chunk of metal under the building we live in. I asked the man "Do you think that is maybe the UFO that had crashed before the Internet ages?" and He replied, "I don't understand you so well, but I will give you the number of O2 support and you can ask them if it's the object you're talking about".

Starbucks WIFI? NO WAY! It' slow even with only a three devices connected in the shop at the same time.

Posted

Starbucks WIFI? NO WAY! It' slow even with only a three devices connected in the shop at the same time.

Then simply pick a different location. Free Wifi is everywhere. Just get out and look.

Posted

With O2 you can get DSL with one month notice. You will just have to pay for the installation whereas for a 2-year-contract this will be free. At least it used to be like that 1 year ago. But you will have to order a few weeks in advance - they take their time.

Posted

Then simply pick a different location. Free Wifi is everywhere. Just get out and look.

Can you please tell me where else I can have Wifi connection for Free in Berlin except in the hotel rooms? Greatly thankful.

Posted

Umm.. Most coffee Shops!! Try using the search function.. There is a thread that lists free Wifi All over Germany.

And if you still don't want to Use Starbucks Wifi, then goto another coffee chain.

Posted

This is true. I bought the LIDL internet stick with the Fonic connection (which is actually O2) And couple of days since registering I was unable to go on Internet at all. My German was really poor at that time, so I requested the customer support in English. After a few hours, they called me back, and the man on the other side of the line after some 10 minutes of @#$(@))___#(@ told me that problem is actually caused by some huuuuge chunk of metal under the building we live in. I asked the man "Do you think that is maybe the UFO that had crashed before the Internet ages?" and He replied, "I don't understand you so well, but I will give you the number of O2 support and you can ask them if it's the object you're talking about".

You are worrying me! I am in Munich and I intended to buy a LIDL surf stick because they use the O2 network which is one of the best (with T-mobile's, from what I heard), and for 15€/month you get 5GB (whereas for the exact same amount of money you have only 1GB with an O2 stick). the thing is, if you had bought an O2 stick then I guess you would have experienced the same issue, wouldn't you?

I was hoping to find positive feedback on LIDL, because I don't want to pay 55€ for nothing (40€ for the stick + 15€ for 1 month).

Speaking of which, I have a question concerning the "Monatflatrate". You pay 15€/month and the throttling occurs after 5GB/calendar month. I was wondering if you can only pay for the current month or if you pay for the next 30 days? Here's an example to make it clear : we are on Jan. 23rd. If I buy the stick and pay 15€ today, does that mean I only pay for the rest of January of does that mean that I pay for Jan. 23rd -> Feb. 23rd?

The official LIDL PDF File is not very clear because they wrote :

14,99 € pro Abrechnungsmonat (ab 500 MB/Tag bzw. 5 GB/Kalendermonat auf 64 kbit/s beschränkt)

so they seem to make a difference between "Abrechnungsmonat" and "Kalendermonat".

I would like to have an internet connexion as soon as possible but I'd rather not pay 15€ for just 1 week in January.

In LIDL grocery stores they are not sure.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Posted

Here's an example to make it clear : we are on Jan. 23rd. If I buy the stick and pay 15€ today, does that mean I only pay for the rest of January of does that mean that I pay for Jan. 23rd -> Feb. 23rd?

You would get up to 5GB in data from Jan. 23rd to Feb. 23rd.

If you use up your 5GB before Feb. 23rd, you would have to live with the lower speed until Feb. 23rd, when you are allowed to buy the next 5GB at 14.99€.

Posted

Ok thank you :) but then why do they say 5GB/Kalendermonat ?

Posted

Because somebody made a mistake when typing the document?