Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steps to live in Germany

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. Good day to everyone.

I am still in Active Duty right now but I would like to stay in Germany when i get out in early 2014.

I read about European-Out. I still need to find more information about that though.

*If you got some advice (about the process for European-Out), I would appreciate it very much.

I have questions that someone might be able to answer for me.

Thank you in Advance

Questions

1. what will happen to my USAREUR driver's license. Is it still valid after the military or do i have to get another german driving license?

2. can I use my GI bill to study here in Germany (college)

3. Do you know of an english speaking college/ university here?

4. I only signed up for 4 years but I do understand there's another 4 years on top of that where the US army can call me back when they are in need.

*Would it be okay if i stay in germany after I ETS?

5. After you get your residence/work permit in Germany, how long is it valid for?

Thank You again

Posted

1 - You lose your USAREUR license if you do not work for the US gov. You will need to get a German license.

2 - You can use your GI bill to study at any formally approved school or program. Check what European schools and programs are listed. UMUC and Oklahoma and such require classes be done on base and you lose your access card when you separate so don't look to those.

3 - Several hold classes in English though none are English only. Learn German or move to the UK.

4 - There are plenty of people who do a Euro out. Just make sure the military has your contact info and can reach you should they determine they need you back. Barring a global war I would not expect that to occur.

5 - Work/Study permits vary. If you are going to school you need a study permit. If you are working you need a work permit. Determine the direction and then you know what to research.

Posted

do you happen to know who i should talk to, to process the european out? :)

and how soon should i start doing it?

Posted

3. Do you know of an english speaking college/ university here?

Why would you want to stay in Germany to study in English? I suggest you read Schiller International University for a previous discussion we had (especially the advice in post #5) as well as Attending an American university in Germany.

5. After you get your residence/work permit in Germany, how long is it valid for?

You might want to start your research by reading the wiki.

Posted

When I got out I stayed in the reserves here in Germany. Great people, very little time, keeps your access to the PX, etc... I found it a great way for a transition and there are still many reserves here, I believe still in Illisheim not far at all from Ansbach. Good luck

Posted

Hello,

I have some help with my situation.

I am a 24 years old Turkish woman. My girlfriend is in the U.S. Military and she works in Germany. She will be there until May,2016. We want to be together as soon as possible and at this moment only way that I think that can make us be together is Germany's civil partnership act. Since Germany is so sick of Turkish people, which I understand, they do not just let me go there and be with her. And in the other hand, even though there are some states which performes same-sex marriages legally but even that does not make me just be with her wherever she goes. (I know some of you guys are like even DADT has just been gone what is she even talking about.. I know right. :/)

Soo.. Only way for us to be together is applying for that civil partnership act. And I have questions about this. I know that only German citizens or foreign people who have a residency in Germany can get married. So do you guys know that she automatically has the residency since she serves in Germany? If not, can she applyto get one? Is she allowed to apply, I dont want her to get in trouble with the military because of me.

And last, do you guys think (if everything goes well and we get married under German laws) that I will be able to get residency as well? And I know that foreign people who get married in Germany needs to learn German. Do you guys think that I will have to learn German?

I would appreciate your help, if you can. Thanks for your time.

Posted

As a member of the military, she does not have German residency, nor can she apply for it. She has SOFA status as a result of her military affiliation.

To stay with her in Germany, you would have to get on her orders as a dependent. She will need to ask her organization about the steps required to achieve that, if it is at all possible. Germany has no say in the decision in that regard.

I have no idea whether you can register an eingetragene Partnershaft - which is not a full equivalent of a registered marriage for tax or inheritance purposes - in Germany if neither of you are resident, but I would assume not. Even if you manage that, I don't know whether it would be recognized as a marriage by the U.S. military authorities.

Your girlfriend will have to get the ball rolling, as I said above.

Good luck.

Posted

To stay with her in Germany, you would have to get on her orders as a dependent. She will need to ask her organization about the steps required to achieve that, if it is at all possible.

From the comment "Same sex spouse of a servie member" on this page, it looks as if it is not possible, sorry.

These are comments on the article "The Policy Concerning Homosexuals in the United States Military", updated March 28, 2012.

Please also read the articles:

Posted

Thanks you two a lot. Even though you gave me such bad news. :)

I know that I cant get on her orders nor I can have the same rights that straight couples do. I know that none of the US laws can make me stay with her in Germany.

But it didnt make me give up, I did some research and I found out that I might be wrong with the residency deal. Do military people have to have a residency to get married under German laws? I dont think they do. And I dont think that Germany would ask for a residency when a gay couple want to get married, when they dont ask for it when a straight couple wants to do the same. What do you think?

I wonder if there are any military people who got under German laws in this web site, I would love to hear from them.

So do you guys think that military people have to have a residency to get married under German laws? Arent they already in Germany with some kind of international agreement signed in between the States and Germany? What documents would Germany ask military members to provide if they wanted to get married under German laws?

Once again, thanks for your time.

Posted

If you can obtain all the necessary documents required by the Standesamt, you can get married here while here on a Schengen Visa, however, it won't have any impact on your immigration status.

Since the Americans don't recognise same-sex marriages, they won't give you a SOFA card and since your partner doesn't have a German permit, you can't apply for a permit from the Germans based on being married.

Posted

to my understanding members of the US Military have SOFA status and they are not affiliated with German authorities. officially they are not residing in Germany.

i am sure an american will step in with more knowledge.

Posted

If you can obtain all the necessary documents required by the Standesamt, you can get married here while here on a Schengen Visa, however, it won't have any impact on your immigration status.

Dear Engelchen,

If we can obtain the necessary documents, we can get married like you said above. But I think it may be possible for me to have the immigration rights to stay with her with getting married.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_unions_in_Germany

Like if she can prove the Standesamt that she is staying until 2016? Can you please check the link above and let me know what you think?

Posted

US military in Germany aren't residents of Germany - they're long term tourists and nothing more. your only hope is for the US to scrap the defense of marriage act which is what prevents the US military from officially recognizing same-sex marriages.

Posted

But I think it may be possible for me to have the immigration rights to stay with her with getting married.

If your girlfriend had a German residence permit, it would not be a problem (i.e. she was civilian working for a company in Germany).

I read a similar thread on info4alien. Are you an engineer? Another option would be to come for 6 months to look for a job (AufenthG §18c) and then apply for a regular work permit if you find a position.

Posted

If your girlfriend had a German residence permit, it would not be a problem (i.e. she was civilian working for a company in Germany).

I read a similar thread on info4alien. Are you an engineer? Another option would be to come for 6 months to look for a job (AufenthG §18c) and then apply for a regular work permit if you find a position.

I have no idea how you guessed that but yes, I am an engineer. The web site is in German, can you please give me a topic so I can google what youre talking about and find out? Like what is that called or something like that?

Thanks.

Posted

I have no idea how you guessed that but yes, I am an engineer.

Engelchen (& PandaMunich) don't guess - they know :)

Posted

I think one of your friend's must have posted this topic for you.

Make it to Germany is the government's propoganda website to promote immigration of skilled labour to Germany. Although they have stretched the truth in a few places, you can find lots of useful info on immigrating to Germany.

The VDI is a good place to look for jobs in engineering and you might want to start also looking into having your qualifications recognised in Germany (see anabin).

Posted

Maybe it would be worthwhile to find out whether it would make things easier for you to get married in a country where same-sex marriage is possible and then try again as a married couple?