Primary School/Grundschule - love your feedback

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone

My child starts school (first grade) next year (Sept 2013) and we are investigating schools in our neighborhood (Lehel). Looking for any feedback you have on these schools, and any others.

- Herrnstrasse public primary school

- St Anna Pl. public primary school

- Sinai schuele - the Jewish school at Jakobspl.

- Isarschuele

- Arme Schuelschwestern

- others near Lehel???

Also any experiences with Montessori and Waldorf schools in Munich is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Our child is bi-lingual (English/German). Advice from you experienced parents out there? What school to pick?

Thank you!

Posted

Thanks Panda!

The Sinai schuele is €550 per month...

Im also looking at the public school on Hochstrasse that is supposed to be excellent... anyone go there? know anyone who does? its "sprenglfrei" meaning any kid can go from any neighborhood...i hear its hard to get in.

Posted

My daughter has started the Sinai school this year and so far we are very happy with the school, most importantly the child is very happy at the school. Ask me again in a few months, but we also did our fair bit of research and interviews (Isar Schule and Waldorf included). If you care for more of my thoughts/experiences, send me a PM.

Posted

A word of advice on the Isarschule... if you have not already signed up for the application process for next year, it is possible that you have already missed it. The "call and get on the list" day is either Oct 1 or Nov 1. We called both times last year and emailed. I finally got an email saying they didn't have open enrollment on that day b/c they filled their entire first class with siblings. Just a heads up as there are few days left before Nov 1 if that is actually the "important day". Good luck!

Posted

The public school however is not your choice, it's determined by where you live.

Posted

Hi everyone,

I was just reading your feedback on primary school. I would like to send my child to a state primary school. But the problem here are the closing times of the schools. I understand that they close at lunchtime. What do you do if you are working? Can you tell me more about the Sinai school. I'd be keen to send my daughter to that school. But, again, it all depends on the hours and whether they offer after school activity. We live in the South East, not far from Haidhausen. So it's a little further away. If you anyone knows any good primary schools in that area, please also let me know.

Kind regards,

Posted

For the same amount of school fee quoted per month, you might want to try the Phorms school in Bogenhausen, almost bordering Englischgarten. What I find difficult for a commute from the south there is the lack of an U-Bahn in the school's vicinity. You might have to drive the whole time, and gas in Germany is horribly expensive. If you try that or find anything else, I'd very much appreciate your feedback. Looking for one for the next school year.

Good luck!

Cambria

Posted

hello everyone

Any experiences / feedback on the Herrnstr. Grundschule?

That's the one across from the Mandrian Oriental Hotel in the middle of town.

Thank you!

Posted

Since public primary school goes by where you live you cannot be eligible for both St. Anna and Herrn.

To find out your allocated public primary school, enter your street address, e.g

Unsöldstr. 2, here: http://www.muenchen.de/dienstleistungsfinder/muenchen/muenchen/1063799/

Posted

You don't have to attend your local school. You can also do a 'Gastschulantrag' - application for a school outside your catchment area. You are not guaranteed to get in, and if you need your child to attend the Hort at the 'guest school' you will be lower priority than families in the area. It is probably dependent on the school, and the year as to whether you are successful or not. (Some years schools/Horts have more places than in other years.)

Posted

I have not been able to find out the information I need all by myself (GRRRRRR)

You see,I am trying to learn German and I thought I would take my 8 yr old son to Germany for 3 months and do an immersion.

I did this in Peru 3 yrs ago and he now speaks perfect Spanish.

I have learned that German schools are usually finished around 1:30 and very few have afternoon programs.To go to a school you must live in the area it serves.

Ideally,I would like him to attend an all day school or a school with an afternoon sports or activity program so that he could make friends and learn the language in an immersion setting.

He loves ice hockey(is there a spring training session?)

He also likes swimming and soccer.

Once he is settled,I will worry about a course for me.

My idea is to come from April-June (90 days) I home school my son so he will have already finished the material for the academic year. I really want him to just concentrate on making friends and be immersed in the language.

I don't have any preference since I have never visited Germany but I was thinking about Munich region since it is close to Czech so we could border hop one weekend when my husband is with us.(He would come 3-5 weeks)

Once I get an *ok* from a school, I could start looking for a furnished apt to rent.

Any information would be helpful. Please inbox me.

Basically,I am asking you if you know a school address I can write to (in English or in French)to see if they would accept my child for 3 months as a *guest* so he can start learning German. He is homeschooled so there are no official records

Posted

Find an apartment first. Get an address, find your assigned grade school and register your child. School is required here, if you don't go you'll have a truancy officer at your door. Someone at the grade school will speak sufficient English to help you with the paperwork. Finding a place to live is the biggest hurdle these days.

Posted

but your profile says that you are already located in Munich.

Posted

Find an apartment first. Get an address, find your assigned grade school and register your child. School is required here, if you don't go you'll have a truancy officer at your door. Someone at the grade school will speak sufficient English to help you with the paperwork. Finding a place to live is the biggest hurdle these days.

Are you sure that an eight year old on a 3 month holiday from Canada can enrol in a Grundschule here?

And if they don't they will be visited by a truancy officer?

I know there are programs for Gasschueler from abroad, but have not seen one geared towards an 8 year old.

Posted

Hi,

I'm an Australian /British (both children and I have EU passports)mother with 2 children aged 8,6. Our family is moving to Munich at the start of the school year in the first week of September. I need to enrol the children into school in the Schwabing area. I may only have a temporary address (but I will be in that suburb) as I want sort out the rental situation once in the area. We will be in Munich for the full school year before returning to Australia in August 2016.

Do I need to get the address first?WHo do I contact next?

How do I go about getting their enrolment confirmed for the school year Sept 2015 from AUstralia?

My 6 year old daughter is in her second year of school, and my son (8) in his 4th.

I speak basic german and my children understand much vocab & simple instruction,but speak only a little. They have had weekly german classes for the last 3 years as I spoke german as a young child.My husband is joining me later on.

I understand the school day is short, is the afterschool care easy to arrange too as I want to maximise their language exposure to get them up to speed, and also to focus on improving my german too.

Any tips?

Posted

From the experience with my son who was 8 and who had no command of English when we left Germany for an English speaking country I can highly recommend to take a Montessori school into consideration. Due to their system where there are several grades in one class and where elder pupils have to help and to explain things to the younger ones there is much more peer-to-peer interaction which will help a lot picking up the language. And that´s only one of many reasons why the Montessori system is great.

Posted

I would like to ask a question on similar lines

Is there any significant quality difference between Isarschule and state schools? For example they are charging around 350 euros per month for Grundschule system but is the money worth spending?

In other words, why should one pay additional amount when he is already paying tax and if public schools have similar quality/standards?

Posted

Hello Parents,

We are an Indian family lived in USA for 6 years, where my 12 year old elder son did his schooling for 4 years and 7 year old younger son just started with Pre School. For various reasons, we moved to Germany last year. They both got admission in State schools. The elder one is in Mittleschule and doing fairly good with language issues and I can say he is more than A1 level in german speaking and writing. But faced a bit of bullying and teasing from the older students for a pretty long time. He is just settling but I strongly feel all his intelligence and capabilities had fallen beyond since all his time is going away in understanding German. Surprisingly he picked up very fast and now doing OK. But after hearing about Isarschule, we took appointment and went to the office. They say, they can offer him admission in Mittleschule and upon fair marks he can shift to Realschule or Gymnasium(he may need to repeat the class)within Isarschule. They have all levels of schools in their Campus. We are shifting him from this September. The younger one is still struggling . He is brave enough to make friends and manages to speak few sentences with his teacher and is ok with his class. We put him in Homework Help class after Mittagsbetruung since Iam attending my German Classes in the mornings. The teacher constantly complains on him that he is not speaking German or he doesnot follow . She expects him to be equally performing like a german kid. We decided to stop sending him as we don't see any point in teacher complaining so much for the two pages of homework he gets. We finish that at home in 15 minutes but we thought his skills would improve but didnot really see any difference after 2 months.

I feel like running away back to US where the schooling was so simple. My elder son always had good feedback from the teachers. Don't know how the future is going to be. As I understood, it is very difficult for the foreign kids to go till Gymnasium because of the filtration process being so hard. But the students who remain in Hauptschule will definitely have to work very hard to go till the University level. Sadly with the language issues, it is hard for them to cross Hauptschule as i heard.

Any feedback on Isarschule would be highly appreciated. We heard from couple of friends that the homeworks are done at school and teachers and principal are always available to the students and have many activities at school. It is hard for the kids to adjust to the changing locations for the job purpose but we can't help it .