New GEZ licence fee rates from 2013

217 posts in this topic

Posted

Haven't seen this posted, yet so apologies if it has been.

The new rules/rates will come in to effect 01 Jan 2013, the rundfunkbeitrag website also has the basics in English.

Posted

Your kidding right? Its been talked to death for the last 2 years with atleast 4 separate threads discussing it here.

Those looking for the English bit can find it here (PDF), buried 1-2 levels into the site.

Posted

I'm shocked, you didn't hit the refresh button before posting, and making yourself look even stupider.

Posted

So after reading the info. Those that are currently paying GEZ will be automatically converted to the new scheme.

For those that are not paying GEZ (and have no intention of doing so), you must register with GEZ before they will

even know about you, so keep throwing their letters in the shredder.

I was thinking that this was going to be harder to dodge, like being added to the yearly property tax, etc.

But nope.. Still easily dodge-able.

Posted

rundfunkbeitrag website also has the basics in English.

Why should DK google it when you will do all the work just to prove him wrong! :lol: :lol:

When will you lot catch on?? When DK want to know something, he posts a pile of shite and then you lot do all his googling for him and point out the info that he needs!! :ph34r:

Lekys post clearly states also has the basics in English.. Well, I couldn't find it in her link and I read German at an acceptable level..

Posted

For those that are not paying GEZ (and have no intention of doing so), you must register with GEZ before they will

even know about you, so keep throwing their letters in the shredder.

The difference is that there is no need for them to prove you have a TV/Radio/PC/etc. to be able to chase/prosecute you, which has always been the loophole used by the persistent GEZ avoiders. It will be so easy in the future from public records to simply identify every household that is not paying (as having a TV/Radio/PC/etc is no longer relevant) and set the legal dogs on them. It's not so easy to throw a Bailiff with a Court Warrant in the shredder.

Posted

Bla bla bla bla bla... We will see, but something tells me not much will change.

Posted

:) For once someone didn't put the charges up when they changed them - now that makes a change!

Posted

For once someone didn't put the charges up when they changed them - now that makes a change!

...unless you never had a TV/Radio/PC/etc. in the past (or of course didn't pay), in which case you are getting a big shock...

Posted

Wenn für eine Wohnung kein Mietvertrag besteht und für die Wohnung auch keine Person beim Einwohnermeldeamt gemeldet ist, ist die Wohnung beitragsfrei. Unabhängig davon, ob die Wohnung möbliert ist oder nicht.

http://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/service/haeufige-fragen.shtml#buerger-leer-stehende-wohnung

So, it is only possible to avoid if nobody is registered at the apartment, I think Einwohnermeldeamt will just pass the relevant information to GEZ...

Posted

...unless you never had a TV/Radio/PC/etc. in the past (or of course didn't pay), in which case you are getting a big shock...

Honesty is the best policy ;) Well it was in my day anyway...

Posted

This thread is so like Whacky Races. With The Slag Brothers and Darstardly and Muttley all at each others throats, then along comes Penelope Pitstop and overtakes the lot of them with a cheerful view of the evil GEZ.

I love you Muttley ;)

Posted

I am staying in Germany from June 2012 and have not paid GEZ. I am planning to stay longer and would like to register for GEZ and pay from 1.1.2013. Should I download forms and send them myself or should I wait until I get a letter from GEZ.

Posted

Wait till you get a letter.

It's true that they get their information from the Einwohnemeldeamt, so if you get a letter after 1 January, then you'll have to start paying.

However, sometimes they miss you (as they did in one of my previous residences) and then you never receive anything. However, I'm guessing that if they realise their mistake later, they'll send you a bill demanding back-payment to 1/1/13, which could be expensive. But if you're not planning on living here for miuch longer, you might be gone before they realise...

Posted

If I do not get a letter after 1st January, is there a possibility to get the letter myself and send it. It is better to pay monthly than back payments.

Posted

The system changes completely on January 1st, and the GEZ have implied there will be an amnesty for anyone who has not registered/paid before that time. After January 1st all households must pay the monthly fee (17.98€), even if they don't have a TV, radio or internet device, and it will be much easier for the authorities to identify and prosecute non-payers. The bottom line is that if you register early in 2013 and pay like everyone else, then you should be ok and you don't need to worry about back-payments.

Posted

It is better to pay monthly than back payments.

For those who choose to wait for a letter, simply save the back payments while you wait.

Seems a bit complicated for a straight forward process.

Posted

Thanks YL6 for confirming it's a 'just because' tax. Shame really, as no way they'll ever improve their broadcasting services now that they've been given carte blanche.

Posted

Does this mean, we should register up, if we haven't so far but keep getting nagging mails?

Posted

Thanks YL6 for confirming it's a 'just because' tax. Shame really, as no way they'll ever improve their broadcasting services now that they've been given carte blanche.

There are legal challenges going on with regards to this, because whilst it's not being called a tax, the way it's going to be collected effectively makes it a household tax, and the government hasn't followed the correct precedures that are required to introduce a new tax.