Boardgaming hobbyists wanted

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Are there any boardgaming and strategy gaming hobbyists out there? I would like to get a regular English speaking gaming group together. And if you have kids and want to get them away from the TV/video games, I would be interested in organizing family gaming events as well.

If you are not sure what a boardgame hobbyist is, it is someone who probably has this website on his or her favorites list: BGG

Posted

Count me in, BDM!

I haven't been an active gamer for decades, but my 8-year old at least knows Kinder von Carcassone, and has now played most of the variations in the Carcassone Big Box, plus played through Dominion (once or twice, with a little help, and mostly as an excuse to use our hand-crank card shuffler). We happily play Fluxx (regular, Pirate, and Zombie versions), and just the other day she challenged me to a few rounds of Flash Duel (where she chose Lum Bam Foo, the gambling panda, and immediately doubled the stakes). Oh, we've also played Siedler von Catan Junior, but not the full version yet. And we tried a little mini RPG, just to introduce her to the various dice, and play with the dice tower I made out of cardboard. :-)

The staff at Terminal 3ntertainment near Hauptwache know us, but that's mostly because we buy and browse comics in English and German there. I think I've only bought one game from them, plus some loose dice, since mostly I buy online or when I'm in the US. I ought to patronize them for games more though, as I like to support local indie shops in general, especially with friendly people.

Posted

Great! I will be in touch.

Incidentally, the best link to the larger German boardgame communities in our area is here. We usually play in German, but non-German-speakers have never had a problem finding a game in my experience.

Posted

Great! I would love to join. I used to play Agricola and Puerto Rico but it has been a while since then.

Keep me posted. :)

Posted

Hi

I'd be interested in this. I've gone to the German group a few times, but they meet a bit too early during the week for me :) .

If there were regular weekend events, I would gladly attend. It would be great to have a regular group - I've been wanting to purchase a few games that I've read about, but not having a regular group puts a dampner on those plans.

Btw, for anyone looking for decent boardgame reviews in English, these guys do very entertaining short video reviews:

http://www.shutupshow.com/episodes

Posted

I am in too. I am Italian and I have quite a few games dusting on my cupboards.

Keep me in the loop

Stefano

Posted

I am interested as well. I've played pretty much every board game out there (Agricola, Game of Thrones, Dominion, Settlers of Catan, etc.) I'd be happy to play any time.

Posted

I'm pleased that there are so many boardgamers in the community!

I think we have more than enough people for a meet-up, but there is one rather large challenge: it is really hard to find a place to play, especially if we need more than one table. Libraries and most restaurants are not too keen on gaming in my experience. Churches and schools probably wouldn't want non-affiliated adults gaming on the premises. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Posted

Hi.

Looks like more and more people are here.

I'm also into some Ameritrash story oriented cooperative board games (Arkham Horror (i have all expansions ;-P), Arabian Nights, Mansions of Madness, Ghost Stories, Touch of Evil) and haven't played any of these for quite a while.

However it is more important to indicate, that there is a Frankfurt Boardgame guild on boardgamegeek

This group is gathering every Thursday at Idsteiner Straße 91 (central location). People are quite active, friendly and open to new comers. Usually at least one gaming table is English speaking. During all my visits i had no problems playing, even without knowledge of German language.

Posted

For those of you who might play console video games, but don't understand the appeal of modern board gaming, or if your idea of the hobby never got beyond Candy Land and Monopoly, you might enjoy this brief overview:

The Golden Age of Board Games Is Now

Posted

Hey everyone! Just wanted to recommend our local bar as a place for your board game parties as we have been in there nights when every table is either playing cards or chess... It's called Ha.!Ka.? and is located at Habsburgerallee 21 in Bornheim. I do know that sometimes they have events where the place really fills up (like a Dart league) so you might want to call in ahead of time to mae sure your night is not one of those nights. But my husband and I love this place and we have played cards there many times with no issues, so I think you may be able to play board games too... Also, our schedule is super packed right now but I would be interested in joining if/when you do meet up so please keep me posted! And if anyone is interested in cards... let me know as my husband and I love cards but it is hard to play without another couple...

Best!

Courtney

Posted

For anyone interested in meeting up, the major annual gaming event here in Hessen is coming up on the 17th and 18th of November:

Darmstadt Spielt

The participants range from hard core tournament players to families, so there should be something for every taste. It looks like a great way to try out new games cheaply. I suppose the game components and rules will be in German in most cases, but there are plenty of games that are not very language dependent. Or we could just bring English-language games from our own collections.

Posted

Hi all!

I just registered on the site only to say that I would be interested in this! Even though I've been living in Frankfurt for a few years, my level of German is... less than impressive, so I hadn't really considered looking for players in Frankfurt and mainly play with my girlfriend.

I'm into thematic games, both cooperative (Witch of Salem, Pandemic, LoTR...) and competitive (Claustrophobia, Drako...). I particularly like card games (Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulhu, Gloom...). I have a decent collection that's gathering dust and of course I wouldn't mind taking some games to a meetup. :)

Posted

Another possibility is at the Final Destination Club in the middle of the city. They have just reintroduced game days on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays of every month from 3pm to closing. They have a large collection of their own if you want to try something new.

Spectaculum

Posted

Hi all!

I just registered on the site only to say that I would be interested in this! Even though I've been living in Frankfurt for a few years, my level of German is... less than impressive, so I hadn't really considered looking for players in Frankfurt and mainly play with my girlfriend.

I'm into thematic games, both cooperative (Witch of Salem, Pandemic, LoTR...) and competitive (Claustrophobia, Drako...). I particularly like card games (Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulhu, Gloom...). I have a decent collection that's gathering dust and of course I wouldn't mind taking some games to a meetup.

The indicated boardgamegeek guild always has at least one english speaking table. At least when i come there i never have problems playing in English.

As for thematic games - i've written above - i am into them as well. (Arkham Horror (i have all expansions ;-P), Arabian Nights, Mansions of Madness, Ghost Stories, Touch of Evil, Elder Sign, Deadlands, Pandemia, etc.) Play mostly with my wife, though. Actually wanted to try witch of salem myself. The guild is more about exploring new games for me.

PM me if you want to try something.

Posted

Is it also fine for beginners to join? I have never played these games but i like board games in general so would like to try.

Posted

Hi,

I mostly played regular board game, but I'd love to try these! :)

Posted

We are still looking for gaming partners if anyone is interested...