Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need a faster internet connection

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering how fast everyones connection was and who is your internet provider. My boyfriend's connection is extremely slow and we need to find something new because I have online university courses and it's interfering with my work.

thank you for any help and advice.

Posted

What does "slow" mean from your point of view? Dial-up? ISDN? 1 MBit? 3 MBit? 50 MBit?

Posted

You may want to try Kabel BW They offer freakishly fast internet. I have one of their low speed packages and that is still faster than 10Mbit/s download.

Posted

How do you know it is the internet connection that is slow? Maybe it's the Browser, or the Laptop/PC, or the wireless connection, or the router?

Posted

Telekom ISDN, 16 Mb up/2 Mb down. We usually go through Bunt, there's a store up by Kaiserslautern. They also have a website. Not always too quick to deal with any issues, but they will liaise with Telekom to arrange an engineer to come by and sort out your line and make sure the router works properly.

Posted

Where, exactly, does your boyfriend live? We live only 15km from the center of Munich, but in a (black) hole between Unterschleissheim and Dachau so our DSL was practically non-existant (hello <1000...not even detectable). Finally we got LTE...which is meant for places that have slow DSL or UMTS access.

We were promised up to 30MBit (for us, a dream) but, as soon as we signed the contract, it dropped down to around 6mBit...

But, Deutsche Telekom only offered to people who asked for it....so, maybe you can mention this to your boyfriend.

Posted

Telekom ISDN, 16 Mb up/2 Mb down.

Not sure why you have ISDN - most people don't need it and it's more expensive. I think you mean 16Mb/s down, in which case you only have 1Mb/s up.

Posted

I get them mixed up. I also meant ADSL.

Of course, you should also speak with Telekom and make sure that you can get those speeds where you are; don't trust their website, they were advertising those speeds here three or four years ago but still only providing 1 Mb down and something completely toss up. (That should be the right way round, now). It was about a year ago that we found out they were actually providing the faster service and switched to that.

Depending on where you live, there may or may not be cable. They've gone round our area putting in the cables but I don't think they have yet started to connect folk up to it.

Posted

Thank you for the HELPFUL responses. we are looking into the best option at the moment, but since we have decided to try moving closer to Karlsruhe, we may just deal with it, and wait till we move.

Posted

Dear TT Friends,

I just arrived in Germany before 3 days!!

I have a temporary internet for one month in my temporary accommodation.

It costs around 55 euro for 5 GB (Otelo Laptop Stick)

I know its costly . So, I am looking for something cheaper when i shift to a permanent place.

Do you have any suggestions?

I prefer a connection which offers unlimited internet. I watch a lot of live streaming sports and of course skype a lot.

As of now, I know Kabel BW and t-mobile company.

I only understand little bit of German and they dont speak good English.

So, I really do not understand much about this schemes.

Do anyone know about these?

So kindly help me with this:)

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Posted

Dear TT Friends,

I just arrived in Germany before 3 days!!

I have a temporary internet for one month in my temporary accommodation.

It costs around 55 euro for 5 GB (Otelo Laptop Stick)

I know its costly . So, I am looking for something cheaper when i shift to a permanent place.

Ouch.Are you paying for the amount of data you use rather than a flat rate?

Lidl,Tchibo etc have the internet sticks and it is on average €10 a month for high speed until 5gb then the speed is slowed.

Posted

@Keleth

I did not knew it before.. I was badly in need of it since i am looking for accommodation.

Do you have suggestions for permanent connection like Kabel BW. What do they offer?

Posted

Got LTE and live near Amorbach, Bayern. Download 19.72 Mbps, upload 6.76 Mbps.

Just did a speed test with Speedtest.net

Provider is Vodafone, but dont know what the contract states the service speed should be, however it is

more than satisfactory.

Posted

@funnylookingforeigner - Thanks for reply :) Btw how much does it cost?

Posted

@ help_me_out

cost is 39 euro per month. Includes free landline calls in Germany, free calls to vodafone mobiles in Germany (German numbers).

I can also call home, Scotland, for 4c per minute (landlines).

Mobiles are reasonable too for a quick call. But I'm too Scottish (mean) for this.

Unlimited internet. There is a cap at which speed is reduced, but I've never reached it. And I download torrents and

stream TV all the time.

I imagine that there are various packages, but die Frau takes care of this.

Posted

If you download torrents and stream TV all the time then it is highly unlikely that there is any cap on usage.

I'm with 1und1 and I pay 19.99 a month,unlimited internet access,flat rate for all festnetz,free to 1und1 mobiles.

I can't honestly remember the speed but it is the best I can get due to the line coming into the house.

I used to be with Alice and the same package was at the time 24.99 not sure if it is still that price.

Posted

How do you know it is the internet connection that is slow? Maybe it's the Browser, or the Laptop/PC...

Get a faster hamster...

post-133917-13564636021991.jpg

Posted

@ Funnylookingforeigner - Thank you for the price details. its interesting that they give more options. I will check those.

Posted

@Keleth - Thanks for info.. Thats interesting to know about unlimited at 20 Euro a month. I will check 1 und 1.. I also plan to go to Kabel Bw coz one of my friend here said it is unlimited and they offer for 20 euros.. he always watched online streaming sports and downloads a lot.

Thanks a lot:) I am loving Toytown.. everyone gives instant replies and ideas..

Posted

Kabel internet is probably the fastest basic connection you will get.

However you need a cable connection which a lot of houses do not have.

Posted

However you need a cable connection which a lot of houses do not have.

A lot of houses do have cable...

or are we on the "untrue facts" thread?

Posted

A lot of houses do have cable...

or are we on the "untrue facts" thread?

No we appear to be on the lets be a pedantic *bleeep* thread.

I have a lot of money (I wish) does that mean that there isn't still a lot of money out in the rest of the country?

A lot of people have money,a lot of people don't have money,does that mean there are more people with money or without money?

Posted

Hello Keleth and Spiderpig- Thanks for replies.

But the Kabel BW - If i need a cable, what does that mean? It is not a Wifi internet?

Do they give a modem which I can use as wifi , also for Mobile devices?

Posted

It means a cable TV outlet (these companies started out in pre-Internet days offering just cable TV):

post-24869-13566192169598.gif

If your flat has one, you can of course attach a wifi router to that outlet.

The company will provide you with this wifi router.