Homeland (TV series)

121 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

Last night whilst awake I switched on the telly and finally caught up with what the fuss has been about - Homeland. It's brilliant. i usually watch much older telly shows than this but the series seems quite realistic. Can anyone in the military at present concur with whether this show is anywhere near to real life in the Army Intelligence nowadays? Back in my days pre 9/11 the US Army was a rather sleepy organisation primarily concerned with peacekeeping in Bosnia. How it all went about face.

So is anyone else enjoying this programme? it has some excellent acting in it.

http://www.sho.com/sho/homeland/home

Posted

jeremy,

Never been in the military, but I do love this program. Agreed with the excellent acting.

Obama watches it faithfully. (Claire Danes just mentioned after the Emmy's, where she won.)

Posted

I wasn't actually a soldier Rene, but a contractor to the US Army here in Germany. I was a digital mapping bod there.

Posted

Just discovered this show recently, and have to agree it is awesome. Excellent acting and not so cut and dry about who is bad versus good guy.

Posted

I was impressed they could drag the premise out for a whole series. I usually stop watching these kind of dramas after a couple of episodes.

Will be interesting to see what twists and turns it takes in the second series starting this weekend Stateside (and available in the usual places on the binternet).

Posted

I just checked it was ep 2 I saw last night. I found it awesome when he prayed to Allah in his garage. I remember there were those who converted to Islam out in Saudi. Is there a number of US servicemen who have done the same out in the Gulf the last few years?

Posted

Oh... then I better not tell you what happens next. <_<

I had watched the entire season before leaving the US and I can't wait to see the second season.

Posted

Is it better than Judge Judy?

Posted

Our hero hitting the carpet brought back many memories for me. I used to get friendly Muslims often asking did I want to join them in the nearby mosque!

I calculated that I lived in Saudi through 9125 prayer times in total.

Posted

Is it better than Judge Judy?

No Judge Judy is crap. I got my daughter this week who was ill off school into Jeremy Kyle. She loves him.

Posted

I had watched the entire season before leaving the US and I can't wait to see the second season.

Yes, j. needs to see the entire first season. In the spirit of the show, I encourage taking extralegal means to do so and catch up.

Posted

I watched it when it came out, I already forgot the small details but I think it was good but not that good for winning all the Grammies it won, specially if you compare it to Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Posted

I bloody love Clare Danes, I don't usually go daft over women I see on TV, but she is just.. and Homeland is brilliant, only 3 or 4 days to go, depending on how quickly the torrent appears on The Pirate Bay.

Posted

I finished watching season one a short while back. Homeland is a good show but I wouldn't say it's brilliant or excellent.

Sorry about that. I mean, how could it have beaten Mad Men or the superb series Breaking Bad by winning the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series last Sunday? Those two shows have such power and quality. And Damian Lewis a better actor than Bryan Cranston or even Jon Hamm? No way. He is a good actor, I grant him that (he was superb in the British prison drama film The Escapist), but his character Nicholas Brody doesn't have quite the same depth as Walter White, Don Draper, Dexter Morgan or Nucky Thompson.

So I'm in two minds about the show. I like Claire Danes' (Carrie Mathison) acting - she rightly deserved her Emmy - and I'm intrigued by the synopsis.

But...

Watching Carrie watching Brody on monitors fed from cameras hidden in his house gets tedious after one episode. Thankfully she had to remove them in a later episode. And, I get the feeling it leans towards a soap opera what with Jessica Brody's affair with Nicholas' buddy Mike Faber taking up much of the storyline for most of the beginning.

Anyway, I'll still follow this show as it progresses which I'm sure it will.

Season two starts this Sunday, September 30th.

And Morena Baccarin is so hot!

post-9625-13487606761174.png

Posted

And Damian Lewis a better actor than Bryan Cranston or even Jon Hamm? No way.

Sorry to disagree with you vehemently FT, I normally bow before your encyclopedic knowledge of cinema - but John Hamm has a very apt surname, given his limited range of facial expressions and tendency to say 'what' a lot. Bryan Cranston is brilliant, but he didn't work with the RSC, neither did Hamm. British actors are generally better than their US counterparts IMO.

Posted

And Morena Baccarin is so hot!

post-9625-13487606761174.png

I guess that answers this question. :D

Posted

Ta da!

I absolutely knew somebody will catch on to that. ;)

Well done, Kay.

Posted

No probs, Chocky.

Maybe I meant to say that Damian Lewis is indeed an excellent actor, but it's just that I believe his character Nicholas Brody hasn't reached a greater range. That may change in the upcoming season. I think he was as surprised as myself and many others when he nabbed the Emmy over Cranston, Hamm, Buscemi, Hall or fellow Brit Hugh Bonneville, especially when those guys performed a little more magnificently. Cranston, for instance, was remarkable in the Breaking Bad episode Crawl Space to which he was nominated for.

I like Lewis. He was excellent in Band of Brothers to which he won an award for, and he was great in The Baker and The Escapist.

Anyway, the season two trailer looks pretty good and so I'll keep following this interesting series.

Posted

Thanks for the tralier...FuzzyTony!

Posted

Loved the first series except for the final episode, kind of obvious what would happen as they'd already said they'd make another series. We watched all the episodes back to back in a marathon viewing session. Can't wait for series 2 though, still wondering which of the other Agents is dodgy???

Posted

A good season two premiere Sunday night. :)

The pace of the series seems tighter now - or maybe I'm assuming too soon. It'll probably slow down again this season which I hope it doesn't.

post-9625-13491021709432.jpg

Anyway, Jessica finds out that...

... Nicholas is a Muslim from a slip up by Dana at a school assembly. I thought the confrontation between Jess and Brody in their garage was pretty well entertaining. Nice and intense, especially when things got a bit hairy after Jess tosses the Qur'an on to the floor (naughty, naughty!). Nicely acted.

I like to see how things turn out in Beirut. Carrie's and Saul's upcoming rendezvous having been abandoned by two Lebanese guys watching them, one pursuing Carrie into a market. I wonder what follows next and what's going to happen with the mission involving the wife of that Hezbollah district commander? I'll say it's inevitable that Carrie and/or Saul will meet up with Nazir.

Posted

Thanks once again, FuzzyTony.