Christmas for the Homeless, 2013

23 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm in.

Both to help in what ever way is needed, and with some coat, scarf, mitten donations. Just let me know.

Posted

Thanks...send me a PM when you want stuff picked up...and if able, pass the word around!

Posted

+1

I can give some clothes and volunteer for helping out anytime, as long as its afterwork or weekend hours!

Posted

Thanks...can you also collect clothes where you work...and I will pick them up when you get a bunch?

Posted

Admirable venture, fluglotse1!

I could maybe fill 2 - 4 large polysacks with usable clothes, etc., however atm I don't have transport (although maybe, just maybe, I could arrange something via friends).

So my question is would it be possible, or worth your time, to collect these things from just off the A63 5km south of the A60 Mainz Sudkreuz?

If so should I PM or email you when the stuffs's ready?

It's good that you gave plenty of notice as, tbh, I expect it'll take me most of November to sort this stuff out. :ph34r:

2B

Posted

Hi fluglotse1,

I'm "IN"...just lemme know where to drop by the clothes etc. latest by Dec. 8 and I'd be happy to be a part of this :-)

Additionally would also like to help otherwise (distributing food on the 24th etc. or pooling in for a scrumptious Dinner for these people).

Kudos/(Hats-off) to your great work and thought!!

Nidz

Posted

Hi, Nidz...

Can you send me an e-mail to my victor.starr (at) gmail.com account? Glad to have you aboard.

Victor

Posted

Hi, Everyone...

If you have nowhere to go on the holiday and want to do something in the true spirit of Christmas, I have a great idea for you. Something un-commercial and truly in the sense of giving. I am involved with helping the homeless community Frankfurt. There are about 2500 homeless people in our community. I have been doing this sort of work since several years before I moved to Germany.

From September until late winter I collect warm, useful, adult winter clothing. By useful I mean especially coats, jackets, scarves, boots. Blankets, pillows and sleeping bags are also welcome. On Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, we have an event for these folks…a nice dinner, some light entertainment, and a warm place to sleep and get out of the cold. If the people prefer to chat or play chess instead of sleeping, we are there for them. A friendly conversation is very important to these people, many of whom are more accustomed to people avoiding them. In the morning we serve breakfast and the church is closed about 11.

This is all accomplished with donations of both items…and time. Last year I had 35 people helping out, many of whom are from ex-pat groups like this and had no family to spend Christmas with anyway. I can promise a rewarding experience.

Want to join in? Here's how.

You can work with me on Christmas...I need a few people still...and if you play the guitar or can somehow entertain, We could use a little more entertainment.

Not sticking around for Christmas? You can collect clothes where you work, and, when you have a load large enough to fill a car, I will come and pick it up.

Thanks for your attention and send me a message if you want to join in.

Posted

To any of those still wishing to help out...

I am making the work schedule...I have sent out a list asking where and when you can help.

If you have not yet spoken with me, or had e-mail contact regarding working times please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks, all!

Victor

Posted

Hi Victor, i´m not an english-speaking, but i really would like to help in Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, in what you need: maybe serving dinner or breakfast.

Where do this event take place?

Hi, Everyone...

If you have nowhere to go on the holiday and want to do something in the true spirit of Christmas, I have a great idea for you. Something un-commercial and truly in the sense of giving. I am involved with helping the homeless community Frankfurt. There are about 2500 homeless people in our community. I have been doing this sort of work since several years before I moved to Germany.

From September until late winter I collect warm, useful, adult winter clothing. By useful I mean especially coats, jackets, scarves, boots. Blankets, pillows and sleeping bags are also welcome. On Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, we have an event for these folks…a nice dinner, some light entertainment, and a warm place to sleep and get out of the cold. If the people prefer to chat or play chess instead of sleeping, we are there for them. A friendly conversation is very important to these people, many of whom are more accustomed to people avoiding them. In the morning we serve breakfast and the church is closed about 11.

This is all accomplished with donations of both items…and time. Last year I had 35 people helping out, many of whom are from ex-pat groups like this and had no family to spend Christmas with anyway. I can promise a rewarding experience.

Want to join in? Here's how.

You can work with me on Christmas...I need a few people still...and if you play the guitar or can somehow entertain, We could use a little more entertainment.

Not sticking around for Christmas? You can collect clothes where you work, and, when you have a load large enough to fill a car, I will come and pick it up.

Thanks for your attention and send me a message if you want to join in.

Posted

Hi Victor, i´m not an english-speaking, but i really would like to help in Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, in what you need: maybe serving dinner or breakfast.

Where do this event take place?

Hi, Helga...

English speaking is not a requirement. Do you speak German or a third language? In any case, I need people from 8 pm on Christmas Eve until 11:00 am on the 25th. Within this timeframe, I can use your help for whatever hours you can donate.

Please send me a note at victor.starr@gmail.com with your wishes...

Thanks!

Victor

Posted

This was an outstanding event. The amount of work involved to pull it all together must have been extensive. The church was packed and all that came to eat seemed to enjoy it. They were all in a festive mood too.

Thanks to Victor for this huge contribution of time and effort.

Posted

Will there be anything happenning Christmas 2013 ???

Posted

Yes, Look here again in about 2 or 3 weeks, thanks for asking. I usually start in October.

Posted

Make sure you add me to the list again. Can also help with the pre-organizing stuff.

Posted

You're on the list, Jo and thanks. I am on vacation until next weekend and the Kurator from the Diakonie is on vacation for two weeks. Then everything starts.

Victor

Posted

Please count me in too. Do leave a message and let me know where and when you guys are meeting. I will be there.

Posted

Has anybody heard from fluglotse1? I tried emailing him on the address given above and it bounced.

Posted

I would also hopefully be able to help out if you still need volunteers to help out during the xmas period. Please pm me or if anyone else has recieved info then just let me know.

Posted

I have enough people for the dinner, but this runs all night and could maybe use some extra hands on the morning of the 25th. which is a short breakfast, and closing up the church. If anyone is interested, write me at either victor.starr@gmail.com or fluglotse1@yahoo.de . I am on shiftwork so e-mail is better than telephone (I sometimes sleep in the daytime)

I don't know why your e-mail bounced. I have had about 10 volunteers from this group...so someone is getting the e-mail through. We even had the "quiz night" through this group on Tuesday night where I spoke to a bunch from Toytown.

Happy Holidays,

Victor