Bookclub in Bremen

105 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I live in Rotenburg Wuemme/Niedersachsen, 30 mins from Bremen, and would be interested in starting up a monthly bookclub. Thoughts were we could meet up in bar/coffee shop etc in Bremen.

Anyone interested?

Cheers.

Ann

Posted

Not in Bremen yet, but expect to be there by the end of the year. I would be interested then.

Posted

Yes! A book club sounds a great idea. Count me in.

Jacqueline

Posted

I'd be interested too!

Posted

I'd be interested!!!

Posted

Hi,

I live in Bremen and would also be interested!

Posted

Great. Seems like we have a few people interested. I suggest that we meet up on Sunday the 4th November in Bremen. Any suggestions for a book? I could suggest The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Any thoughts?

Please let me know of any good cafes etc where we could meet not too far from " Der Hauptbahnhof" . Look forward to hearing from you all.

Ann

Posted

Hi Ann and everyone,

Sunday the 4th sounds good to me! "The Book Thief" also sounds like an interesting read. Plus, I found it on Amazon.de for around 5 Euros in English ;) Soon I will purchase a library card and I hope to find a nice English section here. I would also love to do some mysteries or historical fiction or even a biography. I love books, so I am pretty much open to anything. I also thought it might be fun if we read "The Hobbit" for December and then--if possible with the Holiday travels--we could see the movie together and see how it compares to the book. I found a fun site that helps you choose what book you will read next: http://www.whichbook.net/ Maybe we can find some from there.

I have only been here for about 7 weeks, so I am not very familiar with the best cafes. I do know that there are so many of them we could visit a new one every meeting for years!!! I used the Gastrofinder on bremen.de and found some restaurants and cafes that look like they might be good options. Or, I also thought, if we do not want to spend money on snacks and coffee we could also go to the library. I'm sure they have some comfy little nooks where we could discuss. Here is what I found:

• Luv Restaurant- this is not too far from the Hbf in the Schlachte; you could walk, but probably taking a streetcar is faster.
    http://www.restaurant-luv.de/
  • Energie Cafe - walking distance from Hbf
    http://www.energiecafe.de/
  • Cafe Knigge - walking distance from Hbf; the website seems to have some formatting issues, however there is an awesome virtual tour and this place looks really nice.
    http://www.energiecafe.de/
    http://knigge-tour.2ndarea.com/

There are many other places available. So check out the Gastrofinder yourselves. OR if you just know of something...but like I said, I am not very familiar with the restaurants and cafes in the Mitte.

Posted

Nov. 4 sounds good to me too, and I'm open to The Book Thief (don't have any suggestions myself). Also really like the idea of reading the Hobbit for December!

Posted

Ok so we'll go for Sun the 4th with The Book Thief. Would early afternoon suit? Let's wait before finalising on the location.

Cheers,

Ann

Posted

This is a great idea. I'm in!

Posted

Sorry... change of plans for me and I won't be able to make it this time around. I'm really disappointed but definitely hope to make it the next time around (the Hobbit?!?!)

Posted

Hi everyone!

I was finally able to purchase the Book Thief and it came in this morning. I've finished about a 5th of it so far ;)

So, I thought I would check in and see what we are thinking about for a time and location on Sunday? Or if it is still taking place?

Ann, what are you thinking?

Deanna

Posted

Hi,

woops, I have been a little absent here of late and didn't catch the previous meesages so unfortunately haven't done any reading. I also have an essay due next week so my time for leisurely reading this week is sadly lacking. :(

Would still love to be part of the book club thougn and I promise I will do my homework for next time miss!If the meet still goes ahead on Sunday I might still gatecrash if there is no objection, to meet you all and decide on book number 2.

Jacqueline x

Posted

I haven't finished the book either but I'm quick so there's a good chance I will have done by Sunday. Either way, I'm still in if it's still going ahead!

Posted

hi all, Ill be interested in future, but cant make the 4th.

Also, Ive already read the book thief. ....have to say I didnt like it!!

For future reference, there is actually an english club near to the hauptbahnhof:

http://www.englishclub.de/

They have a selection of english books and dvds that can be borrowed.

Not been there yet, but may be of interest.

regards,

Tristan

Posted

Hi all,

Apologies for not replying earlier. So lets meet up on Sunday afternoon at about 2;30pm at Cafe Knigge, Sögestraße 42. ( I'll probably be there 5 mins. later as my train gets in at 14:23) Hope this suits, if anyone has a better suggestion for a location then please say.

Even if you've not read the book or finished the book please try and come along. It would be great to get to put some faces to the posts :-)

Looking forward to meeting you all. I'll be carrying the Book Thief and will hang out around the entrance.

Cheers,

Ann

Posted

Fantastic - look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Jacqueline x

Posted

Fantastic - look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Jacqueline x

Posted

Dear all,

Really sorry missed the train will be there at 3:15.

Ann