Some help to focus in flat search

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello to everyone

I have visited Hamburg for three days last week end to prepare my family for the final move (in November-December).

Talking about flats and thinking about where to live, I would prefer to live in a small town near Hamburg rather the full city center. I have seen Rissen and Blankenese, and also Niendorf, just to figure it out.

Have you any reccomendations about family life in suc small towns? I have two twins (1 year old) a wife and a small dog. I would need a 90-100 m2 flat with al least 2 permanent bedrooms and a living room that can be a bedroom sometimes. I was thinking about 800-100 eur kaltmiete and 1000-1200 eur warmiete.

Thank you for help or considerations

Hamburg I am coming...

Maurizio

Posted

Blankenese is probably one of the most expensive areas going...

Posted

ah ok...I have seen that Rissen is somewhat cheaper. In your experience it is good for a family or it can be a bit boring?

Other possibilities: to take a flat on the north area of Othmarschen or Bahrenfeld stations. I really like that part of the city. I will work at DESY at the end, so I am seeking for something on the center-west direction, preferably not too far from S1 stations...

Posted

Blankenese is probably out of budget, and it only offers a few apartments as the Detached Houses (Einfamilienhaus) dominate the area.

Niendorf is reasonably priced, close to the city center, but since we go there quite often (there is a nice protected forest with playground, animals etc there and the kids love it),we noticed that airplanes pass by all the time , because the airport is nearby. So if you visit houses in the area check it, if you prefer low noise where you live.

Rissen, Sülldorf, Osdorf, Schenefeld, Lurup, Flottbek are good areas to look especially if your work is in the old part of the town (Altona).

You also have more possibilities if you move about 20-25Km outside hamburg (Wedel, Pinneberg,Quickborn to name a few). In these area you have more chances to get a Reihenhaus, or semi-detached House with garden which is good if you have kids.

In case it wasn't mentioned before, be prepared for a long search though as the good offers tend to attract a lot of interest, and here in Germany is not like other countries were the first offer can be accepted as long as they have the money. If more than one is interested for the property, the landlord gets to choose and you will be asked to provide financial information of you, job contract, etc etc.

Posted

I will work at DESY at the end,

Have you had a chat with the DESY Gästeburo? At least in the past they have helped various people find accom and certainly used to have various houses/appartments/flats/hovels on their list.

If you have a car then you have no pressing need to be close to a S-Bahn station (cos thats where prices are the highest). Back 30 years ago I got a flat in Schenefeld through DESY.

Posted

I just checked where DESY is. Schenefeld would be my recommendation as well. Some parts are quite nice, there is also a big shopping mall in the area.

If you have a car it is basically a straight road (Luruper Hauptstraße) to DESY, even at Rush hour you should be at work within 10-15 minutes.

Posted

Probably want to stay away from Osdorf (unless you have a Really Big Dog ;)). But yeah, plenty of nice places around the NW of Hamburg.

Posted

forst of alll..thank you! it is so a trouble to relocate so any help is really welcome.

Some answers:

- ok I will check the Desy, however I was trying to make a general idea just to better focus the search

- It should be better to have a S-Bahn in the proximity not just form me but for the wife and the kids: full days with kids can be stressing and boring so I would have a chance for my wife to organize the daily life with the help of the S-bahn

- for my work I plan to use the car in cold months and the bike in the rest of the year (ok...some Italians could answer that also the rest of the year is cold ;-) just a joke)

Thank you, I will welcome especially considerations about family life...because my primary concerns at now are regarding my wife and kids (ok also the dog...it is my third kid)

Posted

Hi Maurice, generally the Western part of Hamburg is a prferred and very good residential area. There are only few multi-storey settlements, but mostly a good mix of single family houses and apartment blocks. Most of the districts have a small "center" where you can cover daily demands and sometimes more. The most expensive districts run from the West alongside the Elbe river, around the Aussenalster and along the Alster to the very North. Even though they are expensive, you should still be able to find an apartment within that budget of yours.

I can recommend three facebook groups which are very active and are focussed on international families with children:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/411032515600952/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/HMM.Hamburg/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/HamburgKinderKinder

Warm regards!

Bao

Posted

My relocator agent (yes, I have one) has started to talk about Lurup, Schenefeld, Pinneberg...

I don't like Lurup very much, however I understand that it is not so easy to catch to perfect

apartment! I will take you informed, just for some specific help!

bye (for now)

Posted

So, I am in Hamburg by three days (and it is raining now)...

I will send you my future consideration about my homesearch...

Posted

What do you think of the places near pinneberg?

Posted

As I said in a reply to a similar thread below: We have gone for Wedel, in a similar situation. Particularly for a family, it has a lot to offer.

You may want to look at Wedel.

It takes 25 minutes by car or a just bit longer by S-bahn+bus to Bahrenfeld.

Officially it is just outside Hamburg but it has all the local amenities, a lovely promenade by Elbe and plenty of greenery around.

Highly recommended - for a family that is.

Posted

What do you think of the places near pinneberg?

Pinneberg is quite nice especially if you live on the south side of the train lines (which is closer to your work).

It is quite convenient if you have a car, as it is a straight road (L103) about 10Km to go to DESY.

There is definitely an S3+Bus or Bus only combination that would suite a public transport as well.

Check the following areas: Pinneberg, Rellingen, Halstenbek, Waldenau,Appen. Schenefeld is always one of your best options too.

Posted

Yes i have seen a nice flat in schenefeld, near the mall...

Posted

Posted

excuse me for the italian chatting...

however...I have taken the flat.

Now I have to furnish it...and I dont have a car

Do you want I open a new topic for this?

however, my idea was to use ikea (and to pay for they transport and installation.

Then I have to buy a waschmachiner and a dryer. Again I have to pay for the

transport and installation, even because of the weight and I have not elevator.

Do you have any suggestion?

Posted

Ciao maurizio,

Congrats for the flat. How is it? Where? How much are you paying?

I would find hard to believe such a place like ikea does not do delivery. They do deliver, here in uk at least, even though most stuff is taken by people by car..

Ciao,

Posted

100 sqm, 900 kaltmiete, 1100 warmmiete...you will find something good, don't worry...

yes also in Italy Ikea can do the delivery...the problem is that I dont have a car for now...I coukd rent it

if really necessary