Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin GAA Club

12 posts in this topic

Posted

We are in the process of starting a Berlin GAA club with a view to having both Gaelic football and hurling teams in place to play in the 2013 European GAA tournaments. We are currently in the early organisational stages, and are co-ordinating with the European GAA Board and relevant bodies (including Berlin authorities), to ensure first of all we have the correct structures and facilities (including training facilities, web sites etc.) in place.

So it was my intention to wait until we were a bit further in the planning stages to announce this here, however we have had a request from another German GAA club to help in providing players for a tournament to be held in Copenhagen on September 15 2012. This event is one of the last tournaments in the 2012 season, and is a gaelic football tournament, not hurling.

So if you are interested in potentially heading to Copenhagen and playing some cometetive football, or if you are interested in assisting in the club start up program, please PM me.

Note the following:

1. I need a good German speaker to deal with various Berlin organisations, in relation to formal registration of the club, hiring training facilities etc. If you want to help with this, please contact me.

2. Regarding the Copenhagen tournament, our colleagues have everything organised, but need players. However this is a purely voluntary effort, so you would need to pay your way, so it is just for fun. However please contact me if interested, and I will co-ordinate with relevant people, as I am now in daily contact with various people in the European GAA scene as I kick start this initiative.

3. Soon there will be a web site that will support the club, and allow people to register as interested in joining up, however for now feel free to contact me if you are interested as a player, or in helping with organisation.

All the best for now,

Colin

Posted

Hi Colin,

unfortunately I won't be available for Copenhagen this weekend, but I'd like to join a Gaelic Football Team in Berlin! Anyway of sending you a private message?

Cheers!

Knut

Posted

Hi there,

Sorry for delay in getting back, been in South Africa with a customer for last week, so GAA organisation took a hit. Great to hear you are interested. Just send me a Private Message via the forum (click on the message item and send me your details - email, Skype, phone etc - I'll add you to the mailing list and keep you up to date with progress,

All the best for now,

Colin

Posted

Hi all again,

Progress is now being made. There will be a kick start meeting on Thursday 15 November at 20:30 in Molly Malone's Wilmersddorf /between Bundesplatz and Heidelbergerplatz SBahn stations - see pub web site for details. If you are interested in turning up please let me know. You can register your interest at our web site http://berlingaels.com.

We are planning an ambitious program for 2013, including regular training sessions and practice games, leading to our hosting a tournament on March 16 2013, as part of Berlin's St Patrick's weekend festivities.

Our club is open to all comers, whether Irish, German or whatever your nationality. Also beginners are welcome, and we will provide training and familiarization with the rules etc. Anf people already playing Australian Rules, Soccer,or Hockey are most welcome also.

We would like eventually to be able to field mens and ladies Gaelic football teams, as well as hurling and camogie teams. However we will prioritize the initial efforts based on who signs up.

Looking forward to seeing some of you,

Colin

Posted

Hi Colin,

I'm interesting in playing a bit of Gaelic. I'm in for the 15th.

Dan

Posted

Hey Colin

Ive played competitive football back in the UK and watched a few vids on youtube about Gaelic Football and Im keen to join in :) ill be starting German language school next week though from 1-5 everyday so I will be unavailable then but otherwise Id be glad to help!

Ad

Posted

Hi all,

Just bumping this topic to remind those interested our club start up meeting is Thursday 15 November, at 20:30 - go to http://berlingaels.com and check out Events if you wish to attend. I wil post an agenda there in the next day or two.

Looking forward to getting things kick started.

Colin

Posted

Another bump - we how have a Facebook page also - http://facebook.com/BerlinGaaClub, Next club meeting 29 November in Molly Malone's Pub in Wilmersdorf - details on the web site: http://berlingaels.com

Posted

Meeting tonight reminder: tonight 29 November, 20:30 at Molly Malone's pub - see http://berlingaels.com for details. Rain is no excuse!

Posted

Hi Colin,

Sent you a message through your website.

Looking forward to the first training sessions.

Posted

Hey Colin

Have you got numbers for hurling or is it just football training at the minute?

Posted

Hi there,

I hope once the weather improves to get both hurling and football - at the moment due to my work load things are going a bit slow, but I hope to get things moving once spring hots.

Can you go to the web site http://berlingaels.com and register your details so that I can get your email address onto the email list.

I will be arranging a meeting sometime in the next weeks to re-convene those interested and start some serious planning.

All the best for now,

Colin