Meet 'n' Eat - Homage to Friuli-Venezia Giulia

408 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Chefs!

For those of you with a flare for cooking, this is the test run at having a meet and eat night where a location is set, then a theme, and then you get your chef's hat on and prepare your favourite dish (or attempt a new recipe!), and bring it along to the evening to share, swap recipes and ideas and generally get to know people with a passion for cooking.

Will probably keep numbers to a minimum initially so it doesn't break the bank to cook something that every can try.. perhaps 6 max.. but lets see how it goes, cross that bridge if we get any takers :)

I thought a beer garden was a good place to begin this, but location can be changed if weather is shite or its too far out the way. We just need a place that will serve us beer! Not too hard to find in Munich!

Hope to see you there

Jen

Posted

Dear Jen,

This post is an excellent idea.

Do you already have 6 people for this coming Wednesday? May I joint you?

If yes, I will be there with my Spanish dish.

How can I recogniced the group? Will you book a table? What about weather forecast? Can we meet at Beergarden in case of rain? I have never been at Hirschgarten.

Javier

Posted

well I am up for it as well...but cant make it this time as the timing will not work for me (have German classes going in the evening these days). Dont you think a weekend would be a better option for this kind of an event?

Posted

Well yes - a weekend would have been preferable I agree - but I just couldn't find a free weekend until October! sorry the days don't work our for you - do the german classes last all evening? Good on you.. I need to be doing that too...

There is always another time though - and perhaps you could also arrange one of these to see if there would be any more interest at the weekends? See how they work out?

Jakski - to be honest - I was surprised to hear from you guys - I didn't think anyone was coming - but I am still willing! Problem is it doesn't look like the weather will hold... what do you think? Should we brave it? Or change venue?

Posted

Well I bought food yesterday. So I am cooking anyway today.

Weather forecast is not bad for tomorrow in the evening:

http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/wettervorhersage/3_tagesvorhersage/?id=DE0006515

Jen, if you feel brave, fix a meeting point and a time. I will drive, trusting my navigator, and trying to be punctual. I will check the post over by tomorrow at around 5 pm.

If you cancel or postpone, it does not matter and I will eat Escalivada, which is a summer plate to be served cold, the whole week.

Posted

Oh no! Javier! I am gutted the weather is rubbish today!!! And Escalivada sounds amazing! Why dont we try to rearrange something for next week? I know that does not help the fact you have cooked for a week but the weather is supposed to improve. How about monday? The weather looks great then, 7pm Hirsch Garten.. I was planning on bringing pimientos rellenos de atun y tortilla espanola! (I couldn't decide...)

I am going to change the date for monday - perhaps you can freeze some escalivada?

J

Posted

OK for Monday. I will freeze some escalivada.

Can you please fix a meeting point? I have never been at Hirsch Garten.

Jen, Wow! My first two culinary thoughts were either tortilla or piminetos rellenos, but I went for the cold summer dish, escalivada. I would suggest you can prepare tortilla. Escalivada contains pepper and I am also planning to serve it with tuna fish or salted anchovies.

Posted

I'm interested in this too, is guacamole Spanish enough?

Posted

Close enough Uncle Nick! And I love guacamole! :)

Javier - yum. its a deal.. I will also bring bread as it would be a crime not to have that.

So - NEW DATE - 24th September 2012 - Hirschgarten - 6.30 - 7pm onwards

Location - Hirschgarten is pretty big so if it is the glorious weather we are promised then I won't be able to pinpoint an exact table - but - when you get there - go to the side that is behind the beer stalls - next to the garden with the deers in it and search for a spanish flag. I will try to post where I am when I am there if you can pick up on your mobile. If you can't find it - wait by the thingy you wash glasses in and I will come find you every now and then.

By the way I can't seem to change the date on the original topic - as I am not a seasoned member of TT - if anyone else can let me know!

Posted

Jen, thanks for the info.

What about cutlery? I have some plastic knives, forks and plates. Shall I bring them with me?

Good to know you will bring bread. It is needed for escalivada, as well.

Do not forget the Spanish flag, I can not check internet on my mobile phone.

Javier

Posted

yep bring the cutlery if you have it.. I know they have cutlery st beer gardens but i did plan to bring the essentials...

thanks!

Posted

If you make paella, I'll come :) Sorry I'd like to join but I can't make any Spanish dish :(

Posted

Ah well don't let that stop you! There is an easy solution if you want to come - buy some jamon serrano, or some manchego cheese and olives? Then perhaps if you come again, the theme will be something that you can cook!

Perhaps someone else will make paella... :)

Posted

I changed the date on the title for you so may I join you now? :) I'll try and make tapas since tapas is basically finger food, right? I'll let you know again if I can really make it on 24th. Hasta luego

Posted

No problem! Just let me know!

So - those who would like to come - please add your name and start cooking! :)

1. Jenniferfaye

2. Jatski

Posted

Dear all :)

im new, but i would love to join you on Monday!!!

If thats ok, please add me to your list.

If thats ok i will make some tapas or a potato tortilla (thats the only things i can think of right now)

Kate

Posted

Lovely! See you then! :)

1. Jenniferfaye

2. Jatski

3. KatjaL

Posted

1. Jenniferfaye

2. Jatski

3. KatjaL

4. Uncle Nick

Posted

i just semi-sucessfully flipped over my tortilla :=) lets just hope that it tastes better than it looks!

See everyone soon!

K

Posted

he he cool! I am staying positive that this rain will sod off... i can't believe it! I thought it was going to be hot! they do forcast a little sun later but i am bring my mac! :-)