Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Richard the Third

28 posts in this topic

Posted

So, a bit of history is back in the news. This royal geezer hasn´t been around for a while and now they´re looking for his grave. I like that! I love historical puzzles. Where do we come from? I like that, anyway! Where is someone now? Ok, also quite good. Where did someone end up and can they be found? Now, that´s up my street on a Friday evening! :D

So, no 70´s stuff, not even the 60´s..this is real history!

And, erm, who would you like to find the last remains of way back in time?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/archaeologists-begin-dig-to-uncover-grave-of-richard-iii-in-leicester-8078470.html

(Apologies to Jeremy if this has already been done!!). :)

Posted

Good lord and to think that had he not lost his nag he wouldn't have had his head chopped off by Edmund the Black Adder, and he wouldn't have ended up buried under some council car park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXKukgk034

Posted

John - I was at Leicester Uni for my MSc. I may actually know the lady named Philippa. I think she was at Uni the same time as me.

Posted

At last my family will be able to piss on his grave <_<

Posted

I really wouldn't advise that.

They'd have none left for Thatcher.

Posted

I wouldn't piss on the evil ones grave even if it was on fire! (For fear of being contaminated)

Posted

If you want to read a good mystery relating to Richard III - but set in the 20th century:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Daughter-Time-Josephine-Tey/dp/009953682X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346230338&sr=8-1

I've not read it but have heard it read out on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Fascinating. Even though it's not a period I'm interested in.

Posted

If you want to read a good mystery relating to Richard III - but set in the 20th century:

http://www.amazon.co...46230338&sr=8-1

I've not read it but have heard it read out on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Fascinating. Even though it's not a period I'm interested in.

The Daughter of Time is enjoyable as a police procedural conducted from a hospital bed. Josephine Tey presents a good case for Richard III's innocence. Whodunnit? You may be surprised.

Posted

It must have been a hard day's night what with all that excavation work:

Posted

Thank you, john g. We'll probably never really know who killed the Princes, but this discovery does confirm Richard's appearance and some of the wounds that folklore has said caused his death.

No sign of the horse? And whether it was shod on all four feet?

Posted

No idea, katheliz...just had a History Channel moment...this is history..people who had power but lost it...this is history and yet it´s the same now..plus ca change...fascinating. Mind you, I hope my successors in this world ( great-great grandchildren etc ) don´t find my mortal remains in a car park- I mean, have some class!!! I mean, bloody ALDI car park..!!!

:D

Jeremy: brilliant!

Posted

Under a car park?? :blink: Didn't they have more 'royal' burials for kings [regardless of popularity], even back then? Was a palace razed for a parking lot? :P

And, erm, who would you like to find the last remains of way back in time?

Jesus?

Posted

Under a car park?? Didn't they have more 'royal' burials for kings [regardless of popularity], even back then?

Depends on who cared!!! The Mercedes drivers were to arrogant to care, mlovett. Nothing changes...

Posted

I expect every knows about this on tonight but just in case you do not http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=147483529

Posted

I didn't know they had car parks for Mercedes drivers in the 15th century :)

BTW- it's pretty remarkable to find a 17th generation descendant!!

Posted

This programm is really interesting,thanks john for the reminder.

Posted

Well i watched it and was fascinated. Philippa has not changed one bit, and her passion for the whole subject was clear to see and enthused me to an era of history which otherwise might have lain dust covered in a book or a Peter Sellers satire. Quite exciting.

However there is only one man who could have announced the DNA test - Jeremy Kyle!

And regarding the ancestry, my kids have the DNA of our present royal family in them somewhere...

Posted

I REALLY REALLY enjoyed this! It was so amazing. I was avoiding looking up the results until watching it and my friend ruined it and told me earlier today that the bones WERE that of Richard the third. Grrr! But AMAZING!

Jade

Posted

Under a car park??

HHmmm, did Jimmy Hoffa ever visit the UK?

Posted

Under a car park?? Didn't they have more 'royal' burials for kings [regardless of popularity], even back then? Was a palace razed for a parking lot?

Well Richard III was deposed in a sort of coda to the War of the Roses by Henry Tudor, so he died in battle as a rival to the new King. In fact, just read that Richard III was the last English king to be killed in battle, and he was buried in an Abbey near Leicester. The fact Tudor historian Thomas Moore, and playright William Shakespere sought to blacken Richard's image shows how fondly deposed Kings were seen in those times.

Henry Tudor's son, Henry VIII started the Church of England because the pope wouldn't allow him to divorce a wife that couldn't bear him a male heir, and later to finance battles with Catholic Europe he ransacked his monastaries for treasures. I'm not quite sure, but maybe the one where Richard was buried was a victim of that. I mean there would have been no love lost bewteen Henry VII and his father's rival. Shakespere wrote Richard III during ther reign of Henry VIII's daughter (and Henry VII's granddaugher) Elizabeth, so even decades after he wasn't seen as some noble rival who was beaten fairly for the crown and deserved respect, but a monster that had to be stopped by the Tudors.

PS, no-one posted this yet?

Posted

I always thought that Richard the Third was cockney rhyming slang, so I never understood what all the fuss was about when some Archaeologist dug up a turd in some car park in Leicester.

Posted

I've no idea why they called it Richard III, but here is what Supergrass had to say in 1997.

Posted

Reconstructed face of Richard III

The model does look a bit like the painting, but seems to have fewer wrinkles. Better looking than the more recent chinless wonders!