Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frankfurt: The Frankfurtinating

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Got into Frankfurt last night. Here until Tuesday afternoon. Mostly for fun, actually. Going to paint the town NERD.

Dinner last night: excellent Eritrean at Africa Queen near the HBF. The Gored-Gored was nice and spicy.

Today I will: go to the transportation museum, and maybe one art museum. I will attempt to get tickets for the Crucible at the English theatre. I think they're sold out though, sadly. If so I'll watch a movie somewhere.

Tomorrow: the science museum, as that is open on Monday, then gawking at bank buildings.

Tuesday: TBD.

Bloggery will be periodic from my phone, as long as it has power. The battery has been "iffy" for some time now, so we'll see.

So now I have "done" Frankfurt. Who will be next????

Posted

Why don't you go to one of the many fests, like the Osthafen Fest, the Applewine Fest on the Ross Markt, the Brunnen fest in Sachsenhausen, or the Antoniter Fest on Töngesgasse?

Other things are open on Monday, like the Palmengarten, the Senckenburg Museum, the Zoo, the Geld Museum, and the Goethe Haus opens at 1400. What about the Klein Markt Halle? Did you know all the banks have open lobbies you can go into? You could also go to the top of the Main Tower or the top of the Kaiserdom. Have you thought about simply going on a tour in Frankfurt and to get the best idea of what the city has to offer? Use Trip Advisor or Google for companies offering tours in Frankfurt.

For museums, the Liebig Haus and the Schirn have a Jeff Koons exhibit. The Judengasse Museum is pretty interesting and the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Wall next to it, that surrounds the medieval Jewish cemetery is a must if you are visiting Frankfurt.

Next weekend though, the Museums Ufer Fest is happening. The best fest ever.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. The Osthafen web site crashes my browser on account of hideous widgetry. I'd have come next week for the museum fest, but it wasn't practical for various reasons. I generally put together my own city experience rather than take tours. Yes, I very much plan to visit the bank building lobbies :)

Posted

OK. ECB logo with scruffy occupiers gawked at. While the monument is not yet fully ironic.

Posted

Honestly, I thought the ECB would be a little more Hieronymous-Boschian up close. Bit of an anticlimax.

Posted

After a (long) false start, I'm on my way to the VGF open house. Transit nerd, you see.

Posted

That was actually pretty good, if short. Did you know that the next model of subway car will come equipped with straps to affix passengers to the ceiling? And that they're considering getting rid of anti-vandalism enforcement?

Posted

I really like the museum of modern art in Frankfurt.

Posted

I like the MOMA too. Also the Kunsthandwerk Museum. Not a huge Bible fan, but I do like the Bible museum, just cause it is interesting and interactive.

Posted

I eventually ended up at the Apfelweinfest. I don't drink wine and don't like apples! And the singing is frighteningly bad. But I got a bottle of some sort of specialty Apfelschorle.

Posted

Well, head on down the river to the Osthafen Fest then. Pass by the Antoniter Fest on your way. It is a tiny one, but the locals like it.

Posted

I had succeeded in scoring a theatre ticket. So I'm about to watch a play instead. I'm not really a festivals person. Very picky niche musical tastes.

Posted

Euphatic.. you could come down to Kelsterbach and slurp a beer or 5 with me! ( at a fantastic Kebap haus style eatery)

Posted

Play ("The Crucible") in English was very enjoyable. There are only one or two performances left.

Then I had dinner + (real) Live Chat with SpiderPig out in the burbs. Excellent Adana Kebap and lavash. And excellent chat. SpiderPig gets the EI medal of awesome :)

Posted

OK, one huge dissatisfaction. I knew that German hotel/pension rooms are not necessarily going to have AC; that's why I went with a big chain. Unfortunately, not there either. Fine. But they don't have enough fans for all the guests either. Newsflash: Germany actually does have a summer. Unfortunately, it's a prepaid reservation. You get what you pay for. But I'm not going to get much sleep in Frankfurt. I was really hoping for AC, next time I'll call and check.

Posted

Looking at whale skeletons at the Senckenberg. Mein Wahl ist ein Wal.

Posted

Looked at some bankly things and took a pic of the Alte Oper, and now about to have Korean food. This Frankfurt trip I am taking at a more leisurely pace than Berlin and Munich, since it is possible to do day trips here in the future from SB, and *certainly* reasonable to do an overnight. Plus the heat is murderous and lethargy-inducing. I used to be able to take this in stride when I was living in the USA, but then everything in the US is a planet-killing Klimaanlage.

Posted

Saw the Städel. Have a bit of time left. Either Koons or the Jewish Museum, but only for an hour maybe.

Posted

The Judengasse is better than the Jewish musem. Koons is in the Schirn and the Liebieg Haus.

Posted

Decided I wanted to leave on an educational note, and went to the Judengasse museum. And now I'm on my way home.

Frankfurt itself was great, though unanticipatedly hot this weekend. Hotel experience left something to be desired. Restaurants (this is important as the selection in SB is terrible) were good, though Berlin was better. Now that I know the city a bit, it's feasible now to do day trips or overnights if I want a big city fix.

Posted

Next time you are coming up here, ask for some hotel recommendations. There are just as many excellent ones as crappy ones. Same with restaurants too of course.

Yeah, the heat is a bother. Big time. Makes being a tourist more of a job than a fun time.

Posted

The hotel (now that I am not staying there, I can name it, Best Western Plaza) was actually very good...except for lack of AC and sufficient working fans. Overpriced breakfast, but paying for a hotel breakfast in a big German city is utterly ludicrous anyway---that's what the hundreds of bakeries in 20m radius of the HBF are for. If I had been there a couple of weeks ago, I'd have been fairly zufrieden with it. But it was just not equipped for heat wave weather, which is silly, because Germany actually does have summer even if this year was colder than usual. The amount of complaining I can do is limited, as it was a steeply discounted booking.com price.

The winner of the restaurant prize goes to Africa Queen, which I went to on the first day. It's Eritrean, not Ethiopian, but the cuisines are very similar, and it blew the other Ethiopian places I've been to in Germany (Munich, Berlin, Bonn) out of the water. They need to serve a little more injera by default. For the last lunch, I went to Ding Ding Sheng just off Münchenerstr and had the chicken with dried chilis---based on good internet reviews. It was good, much better than most of the SB Chinese restaurants that only serve German-Chinese, but not as good as the stupendous Sichuan place I found in Berlin.

Meeting SpiderPig was a treat.

I *will* probably come back, and multiple times. Now that I know the city a little, it's only 3:20 each way using the super-cheap route from SB, which is just barely on this side of day-trippable, and I can now probably find what I want to do relatively quickly.

Actually, the next German city to "do" is nearly already fully decided. Hamburg. But mostly for work. Details still TBD and a couple of months away, I think.

Posted

Frankfurtinating may briefly resume Tuesday morning and pause again Tuesday evening.