The Business Travel Thread

How often do you travel on business?   61 votes

1. 1. How often on average per month on business

• Once
    • 2-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11- to often
    • I never get to go anywhere using someone elses money

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

114 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone use the app Tripit?

I am very content with the Lufthansa app and I also have the Sixt app to rent cars. I can't decide if Tripit is worth the 39$ in the app store.

Posted

I use tripit :) Like it

Posted

I don't use tripit because I realised that with this people would know when I was away from home and I was not happy with that.

But a couple of websites I use to track my trips (privately) are;

www.passportstamp.com

This allows you to track which countries you have visited and when. Although the site seems to have gone out of favour, and it not as good as it once was I have not found any better alternatives.

www.flightmemory.com

This allows your to track your flights and all the details with them. It then produces statistics for you in total, and per year.

Posted

I use TripIt but Im still undecided as to whether I prefer Tripdeck (which I have had for a while) or the more recent native app (on an iPhone)

Posted

Think I'll pass on tripit for the moment. I can't see any real advantages that the LH app will not provide and would be useful.

Posted

If you use them, I can recommend the BA ipod/iphone app. Allows checking in through the app, flight tracking, timetable info, it's quite good.

Posted

I stopped using BA years ago. I get headaches from the print uniforms. :(

Posted

Wow, I usually check out Lufthansas site to look for take off times when planning and usually give my travel agent the flight number and times so she can book it for me. Today she mailed me back that SAS has the same flight(code share) for a whooping 220€ less?!?!

That is a breath taking difference even if I'm not paying for it. :angry:

Posted

FlyerTalk is good for getting info on how frequent traveler programs and upgrade schemes work and how to navigate them best. Lots of seasoned vets there that can tell you that class Q will get you upgraded for x miles but get a credit card from this program and you can upgrade this way etc etc. I found it quite useful for things like that. SeatGuru is also good for figuring out which seat to choose if your travel app doesn't do that. I think tripadvisor bought them out though.

Posted

booking.com is pretty good for hotels, many where cancellation is available up to last minute.

Posted

i would love an app that identifies the availability of miles and more business lounges. frustrating sometimes when you have to wait for your flight and there is no business lounge available for your frequent flyer card.

Posted

The Lufthansa App. has the Information in it. Its in the airport Information dropdown.

Posted

Wow thanks dude! Had the lufthansa app for ages but never really used it. Talk about being ignorant..

Posted

No prob desdemona.

Its leberkäse with potato salad in the Munich Business Lounge today and cheese covered pretzels served in a Dirndl ;-)

Posted

i'm probably biased but the best lounge has to be the one at changi airport in singapore. they have real food, with rice, pasta, asian noodles, meat, dim sum, dishes in both asian and 'western' (throwing all of you europeans and americans in a big lump here) styles. they also have beds and showers, which not many other lounges have. in comparison, the lounge in düsseldorf is bare minimum to say the least. but the changi lounge is also full of screaming kids and big families, which the european lounges tend not to have.

Posted

We had a rocking takeoff tonight. From the terminal to the runway it was almost a straight line and boy did the pilots enjoy barreling down the taxiway. Plane was rotating by the time we crossed the threshhold. :)

Any speed limits on taxiways actually?

Posted

Am I the only one that wonders why nobody EVER asks for ID on European flights? Am I missing something here? Germany, Austria, Denmark and Norway recently all let me board without even knowing if I was the person on the ticket. Is there some funky facial recognition device somewhere I'm not seeing?

Only in Paris did I have to show ID before going to security.

Anyone got an idea?

signed not paranoid

Posted

They check the ID twice already (when you enter the longue and when you board for the flight). What would the purpose of a third check be?

Posted

That's the point though, they don't.

Step 1: Enter Airport (no need to check luggage)

Step 2:Go to security to get undressed ;-)

Security only checks if you have a valid boarding pass (iphone app boarding ticket)but not if you are the person on the ticket.

Step 3:Get on plane again only a scan of the boarding ticket.

BTW:The lounges are beyond the security checks.

Maybe it's a Schengen regulation :unsure:

edit:

It is a Schengen thing apparently.

Checking the identity of the passenger is the airlines job.

Which they obviously don't do. On International(out of Schengen) flights you have an extra check apparently(can't remember ever noticing one).

Security only does a dangerous materials check(See Munich). So the only thing that could happen is somebody walking around in a secured area with the wrong name on the boarding pass.

shrug

Posted

In schengen, you don't normally get checked. Out of schengen, you will pass immigration police who'll check your passport.

Interesting anecdote, upon getting off a plane from Turkey, two policemen waited right at the end of the jet bridge to check the passengers passports and purpose of visit to Germany. They passed German/EU passport holders and residents and focused specifically on the Turkish passengers.

Posted

That's often done on flights from countries into Germany with a large population already living there (I heard this from a policeman friend of mine). I've been on flights from Turkey, Russia and the Balkans where that had those checks at the door. Could also be they don't fully trust the ground staff in that it seemed that all of the flights I was on were on the apron and we would be taken in by bus. The cops were right there at the door checking before disembarking down the stairs. Perfect opportunity for your Turkish cousin working as a bagage handler to sneak you in under the wire...

Posted

I think it is more likely to be countries that imigration is an issue from and that they don't trust the local groundstaff. I have had this from Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria where they make every one go past them one by one and check every body (although if they see that you are white european looking and have an EU passport then they don't even open the passport, just wave you through). And in such cases even if we dock at a gate, they made us exit from the rear stairs onto a bus. But with flights from Greece then I have seen them be a little more discrete and not force everybody to go past them, but more pick people out.