Local butcher the only place to get "organic meat"

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I have read several threads on this but most are for recommendations in specific cities. I am in a rural area and usually buy meat at the supermarkets although I am now aware (thanks TT) that the bio labelled meats sold there are just a sham.

So my other option is the local butcher. I asked about organic meat and they rambled off something about certifications etc. I presume that cows, pork etc. are given adequate food, shelter, and light but these farms cannot afford certification. Am I right?

We did order meat from the farm that delivers our milk (which is not labelled bio) but they only deliver beef and that too during the summer months. Where do I get pork and chicken?

Posted

buy meat at the supermarkets although I am now aware (thanks TT) that the bio labelled meats sold there are just a sham.

Didn't know that. Any links?

Some products I do buy from the Super market, others from local shops.

I don't know in which part of Germany you are, but in many parts there are shops and/or organic farms that deliver almost everything. Some of them are open for visits as well.

Google for : bio lieferservice (and then your area).

For example near Hamburg we have this : http://www.gutwulfsdorf.de/hofladen.html which you can visit and their products so far are a great hit. Plus a few others in the area.

Posted

Where do I get pork and chicken?

From a farmer that rears pigs and chickens. :P You don't have any location in your profile so it's a bit hard for people to give you any recommendations. Have you asked the farmer you buy beef from if they know someone?

Posted

From a farmer that rears pigs and chickens. You don't have any location in your profile so it's a bit hard for people to give you any recommendations. Have you asked the farmer you buy beef from if they know someone?

Well, I live in a rural area about 45 min. away from two major cities. Needless to say, I don't shop for groceries in either city so it would be hard to give recommendations. My question was more general as in is it better to shop at the local butcher for organic meats (maybe not labelled as such) or at supermarkets such as Rewe which label their meats and where we currently shop.

Posted

Have you tried a search the Bio-markt.info? You should be able to type in your region and it will list what is available.

I don't know of the certification process to allow Bio in the stores, but I was really worried about it when I saw bio-fisch. What?

Purchasing from a local farmer who uses natural/organic feed, beliefs, etc., but not certified should also be good.

Posted

I was really worried about it when I saw bio-fisch. What?

Farmed fish that fulfill the bio regulations. What's weird?

P.S., I actually do not believe in bio that much, but I do not understand your surprise.

Posted

Farmed fish.....

Farm raised fish live in cramped nets in conditions that can pollute the water.

The issue comes down to what a fish eats, and whether the fish can be fed an organic diet. There is broad agreement that the organic label is for fish that are primarily vegetarians, (tilipia, catfish), because organic feed is available.

Salmon are carnivores, which cannot now be labeled organic.

And what are the bio regulations? They are still trying to work this out, ie. switching the fish over from a regular diet to an "organic" one, how long before they can sell it as "organic".... OR, because they feed "organic" feed to their fish but their water is not monitored, can be sold as "organic". Then you have to research the soil, the vegetation .... chemical levels ... pesticides...

There are still too many issues with farmed fish, for me to confidently purchase one and cook it for my family. Yep, it is still weird to me.

Posted

I get all my Meat from a Farm. He sells beef, pork , chicken and lamb. He phones me about every three months to ask what I want. Disadvantage, especially with chicken, I have to buy a whole one, not just breast or thighs. Same with lamb (half) I don't actually know if his meat is bio but it's grass fed, they live his farm and have no transport as he does the slaughtering himself. We only eat meat about once a week. Surely you beef farmer would know someone? If not, there are bio supermarkets popping up all over the place. Which area are you in?

Posted

The good news is it doesn't matter if the food is bio or not, it's no less or more healthy than conventional food. If you think it is, or you think it tastes better, it's all in your mind.

And if you're worried about the health of the animal in question, then bio foods don't help you at all. Animals can still be held in awful conditions and be labelled "bio", they just need to be fed the right foods.

Posted

Free range and organic chickens have to have a dooor for "access" to the outside. In reality the food is always INSIDE the barn so guess where they spend all their time?

Posted

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255/NSECTIONGROUP=2

I think that bio foods help you, help the environment and help the farmers, along with their workers!! Can you imagine inhaling those pesticides daily?

And the hormones that are pumped into chickens to make them bigger, quicker to the point the can't even stand... hmmm....

Animals being treated in awful conditions should not be labeled bio... !!!

Posted

That's nice that you're against hormones in meat, because the EU is as well. As such, the meat you buy in Germany - whether bio or not, won't be pumped full of hormones.

Posted

I think that bio foods help you, help the environment and help the farmers, along with their workers!! Can you imagine inhaling those pesticides daily?

So you actually believe bio veggies and fruits are not treated with pesticides? oh boy ...

Posted

So you actually believe bio veggies and fruits are not treated with pesticides? oh boy ...

I do think they are treated with pesticides. Of course they are; organic produce is treated with organic pesticides and not the mass fertilizers that disrupt endocrine systems, etc. In the end, it's a toss up because the food still grows in the soil that had been previously treated with heavy duty pesticides. I am not sure how bio German stuff is but I buy it nevertheless with the hope that it's as organic as my food back home. I eat local or organic.

Posted

I am now aware (thanks TT) that the bio labelled meats sold there are just a sham.

1) don´t believe everything you read on TT!!!

2) ask the locals where they buy their meat - they will be the ones with "inside knowledge" in your particular region!

Posted

2) ask the locals where they buy their meat - they will be the ones with "inside knowledge" in your particular region!

Around here we generally buy at Marktkauf (=Edeka).

When we visit Husum we often call by Stadtschlachter Claußen but we end up leaving a lot of money there & wondering whether its that much worth it.

Posted

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255

Is that not the same as German certified bio?

Posted

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20120109-40001.html

Posted

Okay... so found how the bio is handled in Europe and the stamp that should be accompanied when listed at bio:

http://www.bmelv.de/SharedDocs/Standardartikel/EN/Agriculture/OrganicFarming/OrganicFarmingInGermany.html

Posted

You're not seriously linking to an article from The Local and expecting to use it as a source??? Please note that a goodly number of the people on here would never in many lifetimes click on a link from the Local. What are you trying to say? And why not just combine what you're trying to say in one posting?