Where to live in Augsburg

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I and my family are planning to move to Augsburg in order for me to work in Donauwörth north of the city. However I don't know Augsburg at all.

I would like to have some opinions on what are the good areas to live in Augsburg.

My situation is as follows:

- Moving in during spring 2013

- Family of three: I will work in Donauwörth to the north of Augsburg, my wife is now on maternity leave but will work again afterwards, perhaps in Munich, My daughter will be almost one year old when we move in.

Therefore:

- Access to train connection and/or car connection to Donauwörth is a plus.

- Good childcare for very your children is a plus.

Of course the usual that the place should be safe and not too much traffic, good general communications etc.

The financials are not too limiting.

We are thinking of buying an apartment, but I am also open to buying a house.

Other important thoughts are that it would be nice to be able to get rid of the place without too much trouble, if we decide to move on to another country or city.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Posted

Gersthofen is a nice town just north of Augsburg, not far away from A8 so has a good connection to Munich which is always a plus.

There are plenty of shopping places, kindergartens, schools (including international) etc.

Posted

It's definitely the right side of Augsburg for Donauwörth too. Not sure about train stops though. It takes about 20 minutes between Donauwörth and Gersthofen by car (add another 5 to Augsburg, 10 if you hit some red traffic lights).

Have you not considered living in Donauwörth? It's very nice.

Posted

Bismark Viertel is a nice area of Augsburg and is near the train station which has a good connection to both Munich and Donauworth.

Posted

I just moved to Augsburg in July and live on Maxstrasse (The main avenue). While this definitely is not what you're looking for, the area of Augsburg Haunstetterstrasse seems exactly what you're looking for: very up-and-coming family neighborhood, lots of green space, a delicious family-friendly cafe with play area (cafe Viktor) and some great adults-night-out restaurants, too (Manyo, Haupt). Additionally, Haunstetterstrasse has a train station for the Deutsche Bahn RB with service to Donauwörth. New condos were just built there a few years ago (some for sale, some to rent). Maxstr. and "downtown" is 15 mins. by foot and much shorter with tram service.

Posted

Hi

My family and I will be moving back to Germany sometime in the next year. After living many years in Munich we are considering moving to Gersthofen in Augsburg. Can anyone give any advice about moving to this area? Is it a good area for children? Is it noisy with Augsburg Airport being close by? Is there an English community there due to Eurocopter relocating? Any information no matter how small would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Posted

Hi,

Gerthofen is a nice small town, good for families with kids. It is similar to small towns around Munich.

It has nice areas to live with kindergartens, schools (incl. international school), all the shops you may need etc.

It has a good link to Munich via A8, and if you like skiing or hiking you are also quickly in Ammergau Alps via B17.

Gersthofen is also close to Lech river, along which you can cycle to a few popular lakes south of Augsburg

Augsburg Airport is not operating any commercial flights these days, it is used only by small private machines and the traffic is very low.

In general international community (in sense of expats) in Augsburg and around is much smaller then what you might have been used to in Munich and you will find much fewer English native speakers as well us Germans who speak decent English.

The local German dialect is also a bit difficult to understand, but I find Swabians in general more friendly then Müncheners.

Posted

Also, the A8 is now 3 lanes and unrestricted all the way from Augsburg to/from Munich.

Posted

Thanks everyone for all the replies. We have now decided to build a house in Achsheim, a village north of Augsburg. One thing I noticed while browsing the area is the high noise level around the area. Two motorways and one train line combined with a very flat landscape makes for a high noise floor. Something to think about when looking for a place.