List of all public health insurance options

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I've read a lot of really helpful posts on here about the German health insurance system. My husband and I definitely fall into a public health option because his income is under the threshold for private and I haven't found employment in Munich yet.

Is there an all-inclusive list of all the public health insurance options? We've been give some info on these companies so far:

-Barmer GEK (I can't tell from the literature if its public or private)

-TKK (I'm not sure if this if public or private)

-TDK

Please post any other public health insurance options that you know of and if you recommend one over another.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Posted

Here you go.

From what I've read on the board, TK(K) comes highly recommended. My wife's there, too, and has never had any trouble with them.

Posted

I would recommend you check with johng or starshollow - 2 reputable and helpful insurance agents right here on Toytown.

We have Barmer and have had no problems with it.

Posted

I've read a lot of really helpful posts on here about the German health insurance system. My husband and I definitely fall into a public health option because his income is under the threshold for private and I haven't found employment in Munich yet.

Is there an all-inclusive list of all the public health insurance options? We've been give some info on these companies so far:

-Barmer GEK (I can't tell from the literature if its public or private)

-TKK (I'm not sure if this if public or private)

-TDK

Please post any other public health insurance options that you know of and if you recommend one over another.

Thank you in advance for the help!

There are roughly 160-170 different public health insurance providers in Germany - a full list would most likely rather confuse you more than help you. Bit more than 95% of their coverage is the same everywhere as it is regulated by law. The difference is in the little things that are mostly in the category "nice to have" only. There are every now and then comparison in magazines in Germany about these things, but they are only in German and unless your German is really good, they won't help you much and, frankly speaking, no-one is going to bother to translate all this.

One of the largest public insurance providers with usually outstanding recommendations and ratings is the TKK. there are some small ones that offer certain special additional services, as said above. And then there are a few like BIG who offer no-claims-bonus and deductible, thus you can reduce your premium costs each month if you do not really need your insurance much.

Other than that you would be better of checking for private supplementary insurances to beef up your public insurance in those areas where the coverage sucks. Dental add-on insurance is strongly recommended and many (me included) would point out that upgraded coverage when in hospital is worth having. Plus, if you travel outside Germany, you definitly need a travel health insurance with transport back to Germany - German public insurance only covers you within the EU/EEA and even there you might face additional costs - and there is no coverage outside the EU.

Cheerio

Posted

Thank you for the information, I feel like I have enough resources to make an educated decision. Thanks Toytowners!

Posted

Is it normal for insurance companies in Germany to not send the details of your insurance coverage? I'm under public insurance. Not sure if all public insurance providers have the same coverage, maybe I should be asking/looking elsewhere?

A bit surprised and disappointed as I've just found out that Big Direkt does not have any booklet, brochure, or any kind of documentation which states what services they cover. The super helpful lady on the phone "taught" me how to navigate their website, which basically advertises their services. She was a nice lady, but not what I was looking for. She then told me to just go to the doctor and the doctor will tell me if what he/she is about to do to me is covered or not.

Great.

Posted

Did you check these two pages from their website?

Behandlung

Leistungen

Were you wondering about a specific treatment?

Posted

Yeah, I checked those already, but they're general information. I was wondering more on specific things.

Like if I go to a dentist, what will be covered? My previous insurers has always sent booklets on the coverage with things like first 5 fillings per year are covered, or cleaning every 6 months, extraction covered but not root canal, etc. As with doctors - general checkups covered, X-rays covered if doctor recommended, etc. The lady also told me on the phone that if a doctor prescribes medicine, it's covered but I have to pay maximum of 5€. Things like these I want to know beforehand so I know what I'm getting myself into, and I'm not caught offguard by big bills, plus I want to know what exactly I'm paying for.

Posted

Yesterday, there was an interesting item on ZDF about "Kranke Kassen" : http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/1844612/ZDFzoom-Kranke-Kassen#/beitrag/video/1844612/ZDFzoom-Kranke-Kassen

It's about risk assessment on expensive patients/customers by several public health insurance organisations. Especially, the KKH took some beating. The message was that if you're getting too expensive for them, they don't want you as a patient and try to make you go to another public health insurance organisation. This is illegal practise and against the solidarity principle, but apparently very common. Now, politicians get involved. Let's see how this will develop.

Posted

Thank you for posting that, Luke! It just goes to show how expendable human life is for certain bean counters in suits.

I really recommend everyone takes half an hour to watch what Luke linked to.

Posted

There are roughly 160-170 different public health insurance providers in Germany - a full list would most likely rather confuse you more than help you. Bit more than 95% of their coverage is the same everywhere as it is regulated by law. The difference is in the little things that are mostly in the category "nice to have" only. There are every now and then comparison in magazines in Germany about these things, but they are only in German and unless your German is really good, they won't help you much and, frankly speaking, no-one is going to bother to translate all this.

Cheerio

It should also be noted that due to stupid Germany rules proper coverage is available only for EU citizens. I looked in this for my wife and she was able to get great coverage, me well I got great quotes but every year the prices goes up, by the time I'm 65 I won't be able to afford coverage anymore, On the other hand my wife who is EU is more price protected, I don't remember all the details but her it made sense, for me not.

Posted

It doesn´t make sense to me, either, Tim. Are you publicly insured? It has nothing to do with being an EU citizen or not.

Posted

I got great quotes but every year the prices goes up, by the time I'm 65 I won't be able to afford coverage anymore

I think you may have misunderstood those price tables. They usually give the premium if you enter at a specific age. That will not not rise except for "medical inflation". This might be different to where you are coming from. So, if the premium given for age 40 is let's say EUR 300 and at that for age 60 is 600 this wouldn't have to bother you when you signed up at age 40.

I'd have another question though: I'm insured with TK and they told me that they would only cover emergency treatment outside Germany (but within the EU). I'm struggling to believe this. Is that really true or did the callcenter agent tell me nonsense.

Posted

I'd have another question though: I'm insured with TK and they told me that they would only cover emergency treatment outside Germany (but within the EU). I'm struggling to believe this. Is that really true or did the callcenter agent tell me nonsense.

They provide you with EHIC (the back side of your Gesundheitskarte) which covers emergency treatment covered by statutory insurance in EEA countries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EHIC

That means that what exactly is covered depends on the country you're visiting. In some countries emergency dental problems are covered by public insurance, in others not. The defininion of "emergency" is "everything which makes you suffer so much that you cannot wait until you are back home".

EEA countries = EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Faroe islands and even Greenland. Surprisinly, French overseas territories are included, for example French Guiana in South America.

Posted

Sorry, I do not understand your puzzlement. In what way(s) do you find this surprising?

Posted

Sorry, I do not understand your puzzlement. In what way(s) do you find this surprising?

I thought that as a EU-citizen I could have the same standard of healthcare e.g. in France as any French citizen who is insured publicly. Not just emergencies.

Posted

Why would this be nonsense? This is exactly the way the EHIC card works for foreigners from EU countries who are visiting Germany. Seems logical the same system would be in place for Germans visiting other EU countries.

Posted

I thought that as a EU-citizen I could have the same standard of healthcare e.g. in France as any French citizen who is insured publicly. Not just emergencies.

Nope. Otherwise people would be running all over Europe picking and choosing where to get treated.