Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Know anything about European School in Karlsruhe

11 posts in this topic

Posted

We're a bilingual family (American-German) trying to raise our kids bilingually, and we happen to live a little closer to Karlsruhe than Stuttgart. OUr current options for international schools are SIS in Fellbach, IBS in Stuttgart, and the European school in Karlsruhe. I have researched their web sites, and cannot make out whether we would be Category II or III. We are just regular citizens with no ties to anything officially European or NATO. I am looking for info. about fees, likes and dislikes, etc.. I have read through their web site and feel a little informed but would like more info. How hard is it for regular joes like us to get admission?

Posted

We went to the open house at the Karlruhe school and thought it looked good. There was a lot of learning going on and the facilities were very nice. The teachers we met seemed nice and quite engaged and the children seemed nice also. It's just a very superficial look though. However, they have three language tracks and the kids are taught primarily in one language, so in that sense you'd have to choose mostly German or mostly English I think. Good luck!!

Posted

If you're regular Joes then you're CAT III...Don't know about Karlsruhe but there is currently no chance in Munich (for non-siblings) to get a place in the English or German sections.

I am confused about the fee structure of Cat II and III. It seems the CAT III people pay less than the CAT II parents? Or maybe someone can just write the current fees for CAT III on this board? :P

Our child is 2.5 and I was thinking of enrolling her around the age of 4.5 or 5. This would be ideal because she would be guaranteed a spot in primary school. Is that assumption correct? We had not planned on sending our kid to international private schools till they were in secondary school (because of the costs) but if getting a spot is so difficult, I'd rather start early. We're looking into the English section.

Posted

The bilingual thing will depend on how old your kids are. The older they get, the more subjects they will take in their second language, such as history and geography; sport, art and music (compulsory for, I think, the first two years) would most likely be in German.

I went to the European school in Munich and received an excellent education (though no one liked school much there), and most kids went on to do very well for themselves. They may study in any uni in Europe.

Having said that, it really depends on how the teachers are. There are a really rotten bunch in the secondary school currently - but academic standarda are high, despite lousy teachers , but excellent and for the most part very caring in the primary school.

Posted

I should amend that to there are lousy, rotten teachers in the German section. And this was about 3 years ago. Apart from that I'd be lying through my teeth if I said anything good about them. I'm hoping they will all have gone by the time my younger kid's old enough.

Posted

Is this the Munich one or the Karlsruhe one?

Posted

Hi

I am planning to move to Ettlingen early next year. Was trying to find out good International schools in the area. Looks like European School Karlsruhe is the closest. I wasnt able to gather any info on the annual school fees though. Could anyone help me out with the same? My son will be going to grade 1.

Thanks in advance

Posted

Sorry, but I couldn't find it on their page. You might want to contact them directly:

http://www.eskar.org/contact.html?L=1

Posted

If I've understood correctly what other people have told me, Cat III people (no special privileges) in KA pay around €15k a year. I have never been able to understand why the school would cost 3x what the one in Munich does.

I'm still looking for someone to set me straight on this - anybody?

Posted

My kids go to Eskar (European school Karlsruhe). We are category III, but it was a process to get admitted. Once you get one child in, the next goes for half that price and the rest for half of that half. When my kids started in 2007, more category III spots were available, but now it's more difficult.

The school itself is great. All teachers are natives of the language in which they teach, so there is no pronounciation problem. The curriculum is sound, features art, music and European hours which encourage friendships between the different language sections. There are many ways to get involved as a parent and participate in the children's education and have a bit of social life yourself in your own language.

As far as getting in as category III...well, I know they admit very few, if any, these days. Our oldest only got in because he is a native English speaker and would benefit the class at the time. There were few others who spoke the language as well, and the class was very small. Kindergarten is another story, and many believe that if you start them in kindy that they will be accepted as category III to the first grade.

This is one area where the school lacks a bit of credibility because the fee situation is very hush hush. Naturally, no one who pays category II prices (13,000eur per year) wants to know that the rest of the class pays category III prices (varies, but around 3,500 per year). Many who pay category II prices are paid by their company.

If you have any specific questions, I am happy to try to answer.

Posted

Thanks for your very helpful response, nashville.