Science: It's a Girl Thing!

73 posts in this topic

Posted

The European Commission recently released this video to encourage girls to go into science. According to the maker of this video their target audience is girls 13-17.This video has caused a roar of controversy as being sexist and not a serious product to encourage girls to go into science. Some women scientist have posted youtube videos to express their outrage.

My thoughts about this video is it's over the top and the use of fashion and makeup won't entice young girls to go into science. It may also cause men not to take women scientist seriously.

I'm interested in your thoughts about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFvh9zbjYeE

Posted

I'm going to see if I can find some statistics regarding the number of women scientist here in Europe as something prompted them to spend the money making this video.

Posted

Good god. That video was awful. That's the best they could come up with to encourage girls to study science?

Posted

Great failure in the UK. Now 80% of people studying to be Vets are women. The colleges see this as a success but is a huge failure as this should be a 50/50 mix. The education sysyem is now rigged in favour of females who develop earlier. The question should be how can we re-arrange the education system to accommodate both sexes and not favour the female sex.

Posted

Says here because of the backlash the EC recalled the video.

According to this article the EC will need one million extra researchers by 2020.

Because women PhD graduates are also still a minority in engineering and manufacturing, the Commission has launched the three-year campaign with the aim of getting teenage girls interested in studying science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects.

Wonder what's being down at the education system level to promote girls going into science?

Posted

Yes girls, you too can become a software engineer and... oh fuck. No, don't do that. Believe me. It is shite.

Anyway, do I think their heart is in the right place? Yes. Not least as my gent's daughter is 11, loves science (alongside maths and English, it is her best subject) and we'd love to see her keep that love.

Is the execution horrible? Definitely. I don't want some speccy bloke perving at our girl! :D

Posted

I have a degree in science and most of my siblings as well. My interest started when I got my first chemistry set when I was about 8 years old and all those science fairs at elementary school I was forced made to participate in. We also lived near the Museum of Science and Industry in my town and my parents would take us there almost every month.

Free chemistry sets for all the young girls in the EU. :lol:

I couldn't imagine showing up to work in those stilettos in the video at :10. I'd fall and break my neck.

Posted

The European Commission's adverstising director should definitely be sacked!

Posted

The majority of vet students being female is a big problem in NZ too. Most of them don't realise that often animals bigger and stronger than domestic cats also need veterinary care. Still I think they should be encouraging more of everyone to go to university, does it matter what sex a researcher is??

Posted

The European Commission's adverstising director should definitely be sacked!

And why does everyone want to sack everyone else at the slightest mistake! This ad is not the end of the world.

Posted

As a graduate of English, I was quite happy the women didn't all go to science :P

Posted

Well given both that ad and the racist one, more than one "slight" mistake has been made...

Posted

Well given both that ad and the racist one, more than one "slight" mistake has been made...

Posted

(Apologies for the double post, I'm still trying to figure out how to quote someone in a reply!)

Posted

Its advertising, not a church pamphlet

Posted

Its advertising, not a church pamphlet

What do church pamphlets have to do with anything?!

(On a side note: finally figured out how to quote!!) =D