China to build world's tallest building in 90 days

66 posts in this topic

Posted

A Chinese company plans to break ground on Sky City in November 2012. The tower will be completed in January 2013.

At 838 meters it'll be 10 meters taller than Burj Khalifa, the world's current tallest building.

Details: Sky City: China plans world's tallest building

post-16-13407075014743.jpg

The Chinese previously built a 30-storey building in 15 days, complete with resistance to magnitude 9 earthquakes.

Skip to 1'12" to see the timelapse of the construction:

Posted

The company behind Sky City says that skyscrapers will help with many of the world's problems including pollution, congestion, and even disease by completely purifying the tower's air.

The 838-meter-tall Sky City will hold schools, a hospital, 17 helipads and ~30,000 people. It will, indeed, be a city in the sky.

They also have plans for a 2 km high building. No start date for construction of that one yet though.

This is the way the world's going. Most people are moving to cities, but those cities are not sprawling outwards, they'll grow upwards. Population density will go up, thus reducing traffic and increasing productivity.

Meanwhile high-speed transport networks (maglev, vactube, suborbital) will connect the cities together.

Posted

The company behind Sky City says that skyscrapers will help with many of the world's problems including pollution, congestion, and even disease by completely purifying the tower's air.

And if you believe hype like that, especially when it originates from the propaganda bureau of number 2 in the world's most oppressive stalinist dictatorships, you'll believe quite literally, anything.

This is the way the world's going. Most people are moving to cities, but those cities are not sprawling outwards, they'll grow upwards. Population density will go up, thus reducing low-value traffic and increasing productivity.

Except if you look at existing skyscrapers around the world, your theory that they will provide housing for the huddled masses isn't really supported. Look at the Shard in London, Europe's tallest (for now) tower, the average price for a private apartment in that building is around 30 million quid - the Petronas Towers in Malaysia are another example.

Also if you look at attempts to provide affordable housing in high-rise constructions, all you need do is look closer to home: the UK in the 1960s and 70s, tower blocks that ended up being nothing more than crime ridden rat runs with lifts that were always breaking down, those same tower blocks were the inspiration for the Mega Cities in 2000AD, and are now being ritually demolished.

I'm all for looking to the future for inspiration, but I don't share your optimism about this.

Posted

Skyscrapers are build for the prestige they give. First in the US, now the Chinese "announce" their coming leading role in the world.

In the sense of saving space etc they are actually nonsense. The higher the building the smaller the surface for use and the bigger the surface for elevators, steel skeleton, supply lines. Another side effect with serious consequences is a change of the microclima of the city. They often, like in Bangkok, block the air exchange which makes the living around them even worse than before.

Posted

Skyscrapers are build for the prestige they give. First in the US, now the Chinese "announce" their coming leading role in the world.

Exactly, the only reason governments around the world support the building of structures like these is because they are now the only really noticeable landmarks in cities these days, they do attract foreign investment, but that money rarely makes any difference in today's free market economies, so forget building the next Saint Paul's Cathedral, or Grand Central Station, just build higher and higher, regardless of how little that building will serve the needs of the proletariat.

Posted

Sheer, maybe you and I should find a place together, because you won't find me in such buildings either.

Posted

Just need to look at their coal mining industry to see how much this is of concern to them.

Posted

Sure! As long as we stay in Europe. No high rise.

I have enough of taking elevator up to the 38th floor for work (not in China, mind). The ears popping every time. Think about when there is an emergency evacuation but maybe I should have taken that chance to do my (exercise) workout every day :) And the wonderful view.

Like my mother says, too many people in China (or India). What is another life (death)? :ph34r: I'm sure that's what in the Chinese city council's mind...

Posted

I've been up the Burj Khalifa. I think if I had to take the stairs it would have taken me more than 90days to reach the top. Really can't see how they can build this in 90 days...nuts.

Posted

How many construction workers will die during this insanity? China is not exactly known for it's safety regulations. Instead of having a proper installation for the window cleaners, they come up with this type of adventure:

post-147368-13409670347628.jpg

Posted

The race for having the tallest building is stupid and very nouveau riche. Not impressed by it at all, not impressed by burj khalifa, not going to be impressed by the chinese version. Go ahead, build the tallest stick, break speed record, kill construction workers, but nothing is going to change. The landmark of a developed society is rather in the mindset and not worldly goods.

Posted

The rich have for centuries built the highest towers to show their financial wealth. Not likely to change any time soon either.

Depends what you mean by 'developed'. If it's mindset , given the wars that still go on, we're barely past the ape stage.

We can , however , send humans to the moon, communicate with people the other side of the planet in real time and feed a world population unimaginable 200 years ago.

Posted

Being a fan of civil engineering, interesting to note that China currently has 15 of the 20 highest bridges in the world...

List of 500 Highest International Bridges

The rest of the website is well worth a look, too. Ideal for a slow Friday afternoon...

Posted

With the negativity some people show it's a wonder that humankind ever evolved out of the primeval slime.

What's negative about pointing out the obvious flaws in architectural pissing contests that have nothing to do with benefiting mankind, and everything to do with 'growth', a misnomer if ever there was one.

Posted

Have to agree here,they are merely building the highest building.

Now if they were building a building that reached out of the atmosphere or somesuch that I would see as an advance but it just seems they are building it to be bigger and that's about it.