City registration not done in 14 Days

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I have moved to Berlin 2 months ago from Stuttgart and my housing contract in Berlin dates even 3 months ago.

but i haven,t done the city registration as i didn't know that i had to do something like that as i am in Berlin for a 6 month Internship only.

And now i know that there is a penalty for not making the city registration with in 14 days but some people told me that this rule is not very strict and i will most likely not be penalised with fines.

But i would like to know about similar experiences from you and what can i do to avoid the penalty or so..

Please reply soon

i have my appointment fixed in few days

Posted

It'll depend on the mood of the guy registering you, how sweet you smile, and how dumb you look. Berlin does require you to register within 14 days (other cities are 7!), but if you've not de-registered in Stuttgart yet you can maybe tell them you've been commuting in the meantime and are now in Berlin for good.

Theoretically they can fine you up to 500€ but in practise you'll get a slap on the wrists and maybe a small fine of 20-50€

Posted

Lie and say you moved in the past 2 weeks. :)

Posted

Thanks for your replies guys ...and i haven,t de-register in Stuttgart yet, but my housing contract in Stuttgart has expired by end of March.

And what exactly the 14 days rule is?

I mean they count the 14 days from the day of my Housing contract in Berlin or from the day i say them, that i am living in Berlin?

And seriously can lying could be a possibility? i mean if they check my bank statement or so...it will be very much evident that i was living in Berlin..

Posted

Stop panicking, the fine is around 10€ per month that you're too late.

In your case, for 1.5 months, that would be 15€, if the clerk is having a bad day. Normally they believe foreigners their ignorance of this law and just let it go...

Posted

They aren't going to ask about your housing contract in Stuttgart. Simply de-register in Stuttgart and re-register in Berlin within s few days. If you need your housing contract for Berlin (as often seems the case), tell them you got a good deal on the apartment 3 months ago which you didn't want to let go, but are only actually only moving now. Most important is that registration in one city closely follows de-registration in another.

Posted

Well, actually, you no longer de-register when moving within Germany, the de-registration from the old city is performed automatically internally, as soon as you register in the new city. For details please see here.

The only cases when you have to de-register explicitly are:

• if you're leaving Germany, or
  • if you're moving from your secondary home to your principal home (if both are in Germany)

Posted

Yeah, lying is fine. I don't think you need your housing contract either, just the name of your landlord.

I moved out of my old WG in October 2011 (and they deregistered me when someone new moved in) but didn't re-register until I got somewhere to live (as opposed to my friend's couch), in January. They just said "you moved out ages ago" and I said "yes". They didn't care :)

Posted

Question folks;

I have a room in a WG in a new city and I need to register with the Stadtverwaltung. Will they take my word for it or do I need some kind of contract or piece of paper with my new address on it?

thanks in advance

m

Posted

I see; Nürnberg is the city, but I can't guess who I might come across ...

Posted

I mentioned this to my partner, who is German, and she basically said not to sweat it and just BS them with "got the contract x weeks ago but just moved here two weeks ago"...

Posted

In Munich, you don't need to take your lease or any other proof that you actually live there.

Might be the same in Nuremburg, as it's also Bavaria.

Posted

The fine is 10 euro or something, not a big deal.

The problem is that it is not required to register if you only plan to stay 2 months (or three, I don't remember). But once on the 59-th day of your stay you realize that you want to stay for longer, it appears that you have just broken the law, as you should have registered within a week upon arrival. This is a common problem, the law requires you to know in advance whether you want to stay temporarily or long term.

So, take your passport, go to Meldeamt tomorrow, and answer their questions, that's it. In Bayreuth they don't ask for anything but passport, but it is in Oberfranken, Nürnberg is in Mittelfranken, could be different.

Posted

Thanks for the comments. I did not need anything apart from my ID and passport. It's the Finanzamt guys you have to worry about.

Posted

Just went to register myself in Hessen as i have an apt here, they told me this didn't matter as long as i leave they country every 3 mts i.e there is no need to register. So if your in the business where u leave every 3 mts (British passport)you never need to do it, in Hessen anyway, don't know about Berlin etc

Posted

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever as the Bezirksamt/Anwohnermeldeamt has no idea if and when you leave the country regardless of it being every 2 weeks or 2 years.

Posted

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever as the Bezirksamt/Anwohnermeldeamt has no idea if and when you leave the country regardless of it being every 2 weeks or 2 years.

Your absoulutly, right and i found it strange also, but in another thread on here they go on about having to resister within 2 weeks, so i tired that they told me to go away, you really dont know what or whom to believe on here sometimes :rolleyes: them going on about being fined if you don't, oh well have a nice Easter n hope it gets warmer.