Best way to import from USA to Germany

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I need some advice here!

I'm currently importing goods from the USA to Germany but now my orders are steadily increasing in size and value.

My next order will be around $2500. The problem I have is that USPS will not insure for over $500 because Germany (I think DHL) doesn't accept anything valued over $500 from USPS.

The obvious thoughts are to go through other services, i.e. UPS-FEDEX etc but the fee's are so much more it would really hit my profit.

Is there a way to get round this or do I have to pay the premium?

Is it an option (not trying to do anything illegal) to mark the package as $500 and then go to the Zoll with the invoice to pay the remainder?

I'm guessing the $500 limit is in place because DHL do not want to have the risk of losing packages valued so high etc?

Comments welcome!

Cheers

neldog

Posted

You can declare whatever value you want on the package -if the customs office think it's undervalued, then they'll decide their own value for determination of tax and duty. The more important issue is if you are prepared to accept only $500 in the case of an insurance claim for goods worth $2500

Alternatively consider a consolidator such as bonvu - these companies collect shipments together and send them with the big carriers, but pass on the bulk discounts they can command to the end customer.

Posted

I am in the process of thinking to import US goods from the US instead of the UK due to costs. What are the import taxes on the goods? I know I could probably look on a German site but my reading is not that good. At present UK is easier as there is no import issues any fees are includes as already paid by the UK distributor. I know for some smaller packages under 50 euro value is exempt but I am looking around $1000.

Posted

Alternatively consider a consolidator such as bonvu - these companies collect shipments together and send them with the big carriers, but pass on the bulk discounts they can command to the end customer.

Even for coke?

Posted

I am in the process of thinking to import US goods from the US instead of the UK due to costs. What are the import taxes on the goods? I know I could probably look on a German site but my reading is not that good. At present UK is easier as there is no import issues any fees are includes as already paid by the UK distributor. I know for some smaller packages under 50 euro value is exempt but I am looking around $1000.

Depends on the goods - expect 19% VAT and 0-20% (or more) import duty, plus a fee to process the paperwork. See New customs charges from December 1, 2008 for (possibly out of date) details. Note that the valuation for consideration of duty and tax includes shipping costs.

Posted

So long as it is in cans.

No way dude. Bottles all the way.

Posted

If your order is enough try a company like Traffic Tech. It's a frieght forwarding company and they can give you an idea and help (for a fee) with the other costs you will pay. I use two different companies but mostly Traffic Tech to ship our Food Carts into the UK and EU. I found it easier to deal with a shipping company at the source rather than the destination.

Posted

how bout splitting those $2500 cargo into five different packages so each packages could be covered be insurance

Posted

Guys, thanks for all the input on how to get my cocaine into Germany you have really helped!

Special thanks to YorkshireLad for mentioning Bonvu - now going down that route!

Thanks

neldog

Posted

Guys, thanks for all the input on how to get my cocaine into Germany you have really helped!

The 'Ndrangheta (calabrese Mafia) are buddies of the Zetas (or was it Cartel del Golfo?) in Mexico. They offer free cocaine shipping.

And italy - Germany, open borders! Great service. Just do not expect customer support, they don't like criticism.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I want to buy V-moda M-80 Headphones but here in German they only sell them on Amazon.de for 188 euros and on Amazon USA they cost 170 $ (129 euros) the price is difference is quite big, i know i have to pay like 12 dollars for shipping (that's what i paid when i bought some protectors for my phone's screen) but maybe i have to pay more for electronics, is the shipping more expensive? do i have to pay taxes to the customs?

P1260276-580x418.jpg

Posted

You'll have to pay shipping, 10% customs duties on the value of the goods and shipping, and 19% import VAT on the total of shipping, goods, and customs duties. You'll also have to take around half a day to head out to the customs office at Innsbrücker Platz to pick them up.

In the end, you're probably better off ordering them for EUR 188 on Amazon.de.

Posted

But how do i pay the customs? do they'll call me or something? and to whom i should pay this vat? all foreign packets arrive at Innsbrucker Platz?

Posted

chad, please do a search for "customs" to find the relevant topics that deal with packages held back by the custom authorities. Yes, you get a notification; yes, you are told how much and whom to pay; yes, you are told where to pick up your package/how to get it delivered to your address.

Posted

It depends on the carrier and the complexity of the import. Some carriers will simply deliver the goods and charge you for the customs duties and taxes arising (usually smaller, low value items), others will send you notification of fees due, invite you to pay and then deliver, others will simply deliver to the nearest customs office and invite you to visit them to complete the paperwork, pay the dues and collect your goods. Most carriers add an administration fee to any formal duties and taxes charged.

Given the delays, hassles and additional risks, on top of the additional costs, unless it's an item rare in Europe, it's usually not worth it.

Posted

There is already some incorrect info up in the responses. Customs duties vary depending on the type of goods, and for some goods, there are no duties. Importing can seem complex at first, but once you're used to it, it isn't bad. Goods valued under €1000 or so are pretty easy to deal with. I've done it using UPS, and they acted as customs broker, clearing the goods and paying the import VAT for me. They just billed me later for the VAT and I think a small service charge too. No big deal. Shipments of greater value need to be logged in a central system before they are shipped, and you will need some numbers for that.

In general, commercial importers to the EU need something called an EORI number, which doesn't cost anything to get. Take a look at the following links. Everything you need is there, or should be. The most important stuff is also available in English, though a lot of more detailed info is available in German. The current processes are pretty standard across Europe, but there are small differences from country to country, and plenty of loopholes (such as varying VAT and import duty rates) that you can exploit. Generally speaking, any freight forwarder or customs broker can take care of this mess as a matter of routine, but you will need the EORI number regardless for all commercial imports.

http://www.zoll.de/DE/Unternehmen/Warenverkehr/warenverkehr_node.html;jsessionid=7180242022528950D7DF42928F0B5204

http://www1.zoll.de/english_version/h0_ics/index.html

http://www1.zoll.de/english_version/c0_registration_numbers/index.html

http://www.zoll.de/DE/Unternehmen/Warenverkehr/Einfuhr-aus-einem-Nicht-EU-Staat/Zoll-und-Steuern/EORI-Nummer/eori-nummer_node.html

Posted

We're not talking about a commercial importer, antrodemus. The guy wants to order headphones for his own personal use from Amazon US, because he thinks he can get them cheaper than from Amazon.de.

The V-Moda M-80 cost EUR 172 from Legalo, postage included. That's cheaper than you can get from ordering from the U.S., after you add shipping, customs duties, import VAT, and the currency conversion charge from the credit card company.

Posted

You'll have to pay shipping, 10% customs duties on the value of the goods and shipping, and 19% import VAT on the total of shipping, goods, and customs duties. You'll also have to take around half a day to head out to the customs office at Innsbrücker Platz to pick them up.

In the end, you're probably better off ordering them for EUR 188 on Amazon.de.

Absolutely correct.

By the time all is added up, it is not worth the time and hassle to save about 15 - 18 EUR. Just use Amazon.de...or Ebay.de, if available there.

Posted

Dont use the Columbians. Those dudes are useless.