Getting an apartment in St. Leon-Rot

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys!

Me and my husband are moving with our seven month baby to Walldorf in august. We have seen some apartments that we liked in st. Leon rot . My husband will be working with SAP. Is st. Leon rot a good place to stay? (neighborhood for raising a child, public transport, daily shopping etc). I am a stay at home mom and speak very basic german. I also want to know if I would be able to find play groups in the vicinity.

Posted

Are those apartments you like in St. Leon or Rot? Really impacts on the shopping, because the only supermarkets (Rewe and Lidl) are both on the Rot side (east) of the A5. For any shopping beyond groceries you need to travel to Wiesloch or on to Heidelberg.

Public transport is rather shoddy by German standards.

- Bus line 719 (every 60 min, Monday-Friday): to SAP St.Leon and on to S-Bahn station

- Bus line 729 (every 60 min, Monday-Friday): to SAP St.Leon and on to S-Bahn station

- Bus line 720 (every 60 min, Monday-Saturday): to SAP Walldorf and on to Walldorf and Heidelberg

- Bus line 705 (every 60 min, Monday-Friday): to SAP Walldorf and on to Wiesloch

705/720 intermesh to one bus every 30 minutes to SAP Walldorf, 719/729 intermesh to one bus every 30 minutes to SAP St.Leon and the S-Bahn station to get to Heidelberg.

If you're depending on public transport note that there are no bus services on sundays in St.Leon-Rot, and barely any on saturdays (only line 720 runs on saturdays). There's a sparse taxi line service to Walldorf on sundays that you have to call 30 minutes ahead for.

You can reasonably get around by bike on sundays, it's only about 4 km from central St.Leon-Rot to the S-Bahn station.

Posted

thanks for your reply! phew! thats sounds very tiring! we do have a car and planning to get bicycles. but i would definitely like to have good public transport.. being in switzerland for past couple of years, i have totally become dependent on public transport. i guess the apartment is in the rot side..its about 2.5 km from Im schiff (the aldi and REWE) But now it doesnt feel very comforting from this aspect!!

Posted

Will your husband be working at SAP St.Leon or SAP Walldorf?

There's always the other towns of the area to consider (the cluster of towns St.Leon-Rot belongs to consists of 7 towns with 83,000 people). Both Wiesloch and Walldorf have a couple nice areas, and are relatively convenient public-transport-wise - at least compared to St.Leon-Rot.

Posted

well, i finally got a nice apartment in walldorf! thanks a lot for your inputs! my husband would be working in walldorf. looking forward to the move!

Posted

Hi Nannorcha,

Where in St. Leon Rot did you find an apartment? My Scottish co-teacher is looking for an apartment in St. Leon Rot, preferably near a bus stop or the tran station.

Cheers :)

Angela

Posted

There are no apartments near the train station in Rot. As long as we define near as in walkable distance of under 30 minutes.

Posted

Thanks Kato! My colleague walks an hour to the train station. Wish she'd get a bike. I wish they'll live somewhere but it's just not possible with their situation.

Posted

well, i finally got a nice apartment in walldorf! ...

...Where in St. Leon Rot did you find an apartment? ...

Posted

St.Le is pretty much only a suburb of Wiesloch-Walldorf ;)

Posted

Nannorcha: Hey guys!

We have seen some apartments that we liked in st. Leon rot .

I meant where is this apartment/ are these apartments they liked? :)

Kato, her bf works in the golf course and bikes to work. Work sometimes starts at 4am and there are no buses at that time, hence their preference for St. Leon Rot. I tried to lure them to Wiesloch or Walldorf to no avail haha!