Driving licence exchange in Munich

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello fellow drivers,

I need to exchange my EU driving licence for a new one because I got married and my surname changed. I decided to this here and so have a German licence.

I have been informed where to go (the address above) and what I need to bring with me but since my Deutsch sucks I want to ask you guys if anybody went through this process here in Munich and if the application is done in one go and then I wait for the new licence or if it is possible to pick up some forms and fill them at home with a help of a German speaker and then to go there again.

It may sound like a silly question but the German part makes me really uncomfortable and so I am looking for the smoothest way to make this bureaucratic adventure happen.

Thanks in advance.

:rolleyes:

Posted

I know some Dutch people who did the same, but first you have to go to an office of the ADAC and let them officialy translate your Czech/EU driving license. This will cost you approximately €40. Did you already do this?

Posted

It's a long time since I did mine, but I'm certain that you do not need a translation of an EU licence.

Posted

Thanks everyone for your info!

I also heard that I do not need a translation of the current licence so I shall see later.

Thanks.

Posted

It has been some time but I just wanted to let everyone interested know that I made it :-)

But I guess the important message I wanted to share is that I actually did not get the forms to take home with me, I had all the necessary documents ready in hand (bio-metric photos, passport, current driving license) and the worker typed something in the computer and within 5 minutes everything was done.

Now I'll just wait for 4-6 weeks for a new driving license.

Maybe my case was the 'easier'one as I am an EU national and needed a new license purely because I got married and my name changed and my current license was still valid.

And everybody there was very friendly, so it was a bonus. ;)

Thanks.

Posted

Hi,

Could you tell us, which Führerscheinstelle you went to? There are a few in the town, and I'm looking for the most efficient one :)

Thanks!

XaXa

Posted

Hi,

I went to this one

KVR Kraftfahrzeugzulassung und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde

Eichstätter Straße 2, 80686 München

089 23396090

There is a main reception where you need to go and say what you need. They will check if you have all documents ready and give you a waiting number and send you off to a right direction. I was waiting for about 20 minutes and all was pretty straightforward.

:-)

All the best.

Posted

Did you have to complete an eye test there or did you take a certificate from an optika?

Posted

No, I did not have to have either and I guess it was because I still had a valid Czech (EU) licence and needed a new just because my surname has changed.

Sorry I cannot be of much help here Scott.

Posted

No problem.

I need to exchange my Australian licence for car and motorbike to a german one.

If there are any other TTers who have done this in munich with some helpful hints

it would be appreciated

Posted

Love it! The tab on my browser has abbreviated this topic to "Driving lice". Is that lice that drive, or how to drive (herd) lice? :P

Posted

well, you may catch lice when you go to that place. Some individuals there are more questionable than others :ph34r:

Posted

I'm planning on getting a license I acquired one year ago while taking a break from Germany exchanged at the Fuhrerscheinstelle fur Landkreis Munchen, and they've just informed me I need a nachweis uber erstmaligen zuzug in bundesgebiet, in other words, I need proof that this is my first time living in Germany, which it is not. Has anyone else had to provide this kind of documentation for their exchange?

I should note, I had deregistered from Munich with my work and living permissions cancelled, then returned and went through the whole work/living permit application process.

Posted

Not me. What state's the license from? Maybe they're trying to make sure you haven't been here for longer than 10 years, though I had been by the time I exchanged mine, and they told me there wasn't a time limit anymore. Do you have a license you can show them from before the first time you did move to Germany? They don't want you to leave Germany, get a license where it's cheaper, and then come back and exchange it.

Posted

Australian drivers license, and I did not have one when I lived in Germany before. The leaving country, doing it for cheaper, then coming back to exchange it work around is exactly what I'm doing here.

Posted

I'm going to exchange my old German driving licence here in Munich next week, if anyone wants to join me to obtain help with german bureaucracy then feel free to send me a PM

Posted

I'm planning on getting a license I acquired one year ago while taking a break from Germany exchanged at the Fuhrerscheinstelle fur Landkreis Munchen, and they've just informed me I need a nachweis uber erstmaligen zuzug in bundesgebiet, in other words, I need proof that this is my first time living in Germany, which it is not. Has anyone else had to provide this kind of documentation for their exchange?

I should note, I had deregistered from Munich with my work and living permissions cancelled, then returned and went through the whole work/living permit application process.

Yep, they also wanted my first Anmeldung in Germany, not the current one. I hadn't moved out of country in between though, so not quite the same as you. Perhaps just bring it in along with the Abmeldung?

Posted

Australian drivers license, and I did not have one when I lived in Germany before. The leaving country, doing it for cheaper, then coming back to exchange it work around is exactly what I'm doing here.

They are probably wanting to check that you are not a license tourist, i.e. left Germany solely for the reason of getting a cheaper or easier license, although this appears to be what you are suggesting you have done. You must obtain your license in the EU country of your permanent normal residence. If you can show/prove that you left Germany for other reasons than to simply get a licence (e.g. family/job) and for more than sufficient time to simply get the license then you should be ok.

Posted

Mauve, I was told today that if you were gone for a year that should be enough. And you had deregistered too etc., which is also important in proving you weren't just a license-tourist.