Private Haftpflichtversicherung Classic

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Anyone have experience with Huk Private Haftpflichtversicherung Classic? Any comments, suggestions, THINGS TO BE AWARE.

Thanks

MWB

Posted

MWB, if you have questions regarding insurance of any type...check with John G or Starshollow. They can help you with any questions that you may have.

Posted

The CLASSIC tariff is missing two important features:

Forderungsausfall-Deckung

Verlust fremder Schlüssel

You can add those with a PLUS coverage, it seems - and if you are set to go with HUK COBURG then I would definitly recommend adding this. However, please bear in mind that HUK COBURG is an insurance company that can only offer their own tariffs and that they also are not cooperating with independent brokers. If you want to know what the best offer from the market is in comparison of price AND coverage, get an independent broker to assist you.

Cheerio

Posted

Well, good for you that you´re researching this absolutely essential insurance in Germany, MWB. There are some who have posted here on Toytown who wish they´d had it, didn´t and have paid the penalty for it. Sometimes with really catastrophic financial consequences.

How good is your German? Have you been online looking at the HUK quote?

Starshollow is absolutely correct re what is missing and may I add a couple of points? I´ve looked at the terms and conditions online and noticed a couple of other things: you need to pay extra for anything which could lead to a claim against you OUTSIDE Germany in another European country - do you go to other European countries on holiday/business? Do you ever rent a holiday home? This would be an extra! It happened to me once. I slipped in the shower and basically broke the shower door...it cost over 300 euros to replace and my then liability insurance t ( going back many years ) didn´t pay...this clause wasn´t in there then.

If you ever needed to submit a claim against you, could you do it on your own? As Starshollow points out, HUK doesn´t cooperate with insurance brokers...would you prefer the help of a broker who could help you with the language on your behalf?

Disclaimer: if you think this is a mind-blowing, God-this-makes-me-rich post - you´re wrong. This kind of contract is virtually worthless for us brokers financially BUT it IS one of the most important insurances for you/everyone to sort out for peace of mind.

Posted

Hello,

I know this might be a dumb question, but one never knows.. do you know if there's a liability insurance that could cover you for something happened before getting it?

Thanks in advance

Posted

No. In fact, many policies have an initial 3-month claim lockout period for liability insurance (as with many other types of insurance) to prevent people from cheating.

And yes, it's a dumb question (since you asked).

Posted

Actually, El Jeffo, liability insurance doesn´t have waiting times..that´s true of legal insurance ( in some aspects ) and mostly for supplementary dental insurance.

But your main point is totally correct: if shit has happened re liability/household insurance/ life insurance/accident insurance issues et al, it´s too late - and that´s a very important point. Good you pointed it out.

Posted

Hi John,

do the people still think that you will get millions out of one liability insurance?

Posted

Hi,

I have been in Germany for almost 1 year, without privathaftpflichtversicherung.

A colleague suddenly mentioned this type of insurance the other day, which I had never heard of.. anyway, the point is, is this type of insurance necessary and worth it?

You wouldn't have liability insurance in the UK unless you were a business - public liability. What is different here?

Best,

DN35

Posted

You wouldn't have liability insurance in the UK unless you were a business - public liability. What is different here?

Most UK property, contents or personal possessions insurance includes private liability cover, so you don't usually need a separate product.

Posted

Ok thanks, well I will get me some then..

Now I understand why my colleague said he has a spreadsheet with all his insurances on!... :unsure:

Posted

Hi John,

do the people still think that you will get millions out of one liability insurance?

Well, a liability insurer would put up a fight - as would be expected if it´s a question of millions! A contract is a contract and if all criteria are met - they should pay- even if millions.

I usually recommend people also have legal insurance, which can be used to challenge an insurance company and I ALWAYS recommend having this legal insurance with a different company to their other insurances..otherwise, potential conflict of insurer interests!

Posted

No one tells you you need this when you move to Germany. My employer, for example, gave me a huge amount of help settling in, getting bank accounts, and so on...but they just don't realize that separate HP-Versicherung is an alien concept to those of us from many other countries and that they need to emphasize that we should have it.

Posted

I agree with you, Eupathic Impulse!

What I have increasingly found out, interestingly enough, is people applying for the Canadian Youth Visa are required to take it out and show the relevant German Embassy/Consulate in Canada!

On a more prosaic level, a lady contacted me the other day - her landlord here insisted on her taking out Haftpflicht before she would be allowed to install a washing machine!

Posted

No one tells you you need this when you move to Germany.

Which is precisely why you should visit a friendly independent insurance advisor when you first arrive, in order to understand the local insurance nuances and necessities...

Posted

Most UK property, contents or personal possessions insurance includes private liability cover, so you don't usually need a separate product.

..and I didn´t get around to saying what a good point this is. When I lived in the UK until just over 20 years ago, I didn´t have any insurances apart from NHS. I started training here with insurance and learnt about Haftpflicht. I couldn´t say why expats didn´t know about this. In those days I used to go to the Hauptbahnhof on Sundays to pick up the Sunday paper ( for the football etc!..no internet...)

One day, on the S-Bahn, I had the Sunday Times and came across an ad for household contents insurance in the UK and it mentioned it together with liability! Ah, so that´s how it is there, I remember thinking!

Good point, YL6

Posted

Which is precisely why you should visit a friendly independent insurance advisor when you first arrive, in order to understand the local insurance nuances and necessities...

...which is also advice that they don't give you. Because, you know, not all of us had EVER dealt with any insurance whatsoever before coming to Germany, aside from car insurance which most people buy on the web these days. My job in the USA made me choose a health insurer---I could never afford the open market. And in Canada, health insurance is done using a sane and wonderful single-payer system. So the idea that I'd need an advisor was very new to me. I have a lot of international colleagues who have been here years and never dealt with any of these issues, because it has just never come up, and they didn't do a lot of research before moving to Germany.

Posted

It's probably a false perception or assumption, but it is a perception nonetheless... that the need to have all these insurances has been influenced by past experiences, which would suggest (perhaps) that there is a 'where there's blame, there's a claim' culture? Which, true or not, doesn't give me a good feeling at all.

Perhaps that is just my inexperience with insurances as a Brit, or perhaps there is something to it.

Is it generally sound advice to assume that someone is going to strip you for all your are worth in any situation they can in Germany?

Like I said a few posts before, I am going to 'Insurance up', however I am interested to hear your opinions.

Posted

Am I going to strip/rip you when I want money from you after you wrecked my health with your bike or do I ask for compensation only?

Assuming that you don't have hundreds of thousands of Euros on hand I'd be lucky you have at least an liability insurance contract, otherwise I'll be not only disabled but also poor as a church mouse for the rest of my life. Because of YOUR fault, not mine.