Taking bike on ICE

55 posts in this topic

Posted

So a couple of days ago, I booked a return ticket to Dortmund from Berlin, i've now decided I want to take my bike with me, but i'm unable to figure out how to make an amendment to the ticket via the DB website.

Posted

Bikes are not allowed on ICE trains at all. They even got upset when I took a bike that was in a box from the airport into the city centre on an ICE.

You would need to take an IC train, and buy a ticket for your bike.

Posted

You might want to call DB directly.. Last I heard Bike's are not allowed on ICE's..

Posted

Well that's a shitter, guess i'll have to look at renting a bike there.

Posted

Yep, just called DB, they confirmed that it is not possible to put a bike on an ICE.

Posted

Out of curiosity, would this also be true for a Klappfahrrad/folding bike in a bag? I mean, I guess if you had to then you could hide the fact that it's a bike since it's the same size as a suitcase...

Posted

I think a folding bike can be taken, their main issue is that you can't really "park" it anywhere on the train...but if you have it in a bag and can put it in the suitcase section of the train , then no one will really care ... I think

Posted

Does it have to be in a bag? Really? I just bought a bike for this exact purpose, but not a bag! Yet!

Posted

DB logic: If it's not in a bag, it's a bike and it's prohibited. If it's in a bag, it's luggage and allowed.

Solution: Buy a canvas case with a zipper for the bike.

Posted

Good news, that's changed!

Falträder können in allen Zügen, auch im ICE, im zusammengeklappten Zustand kostenlos als Handgepäck mitgenommen werden, sofern diese "unter bzw. über dem Sitz sicher verstaut werden können". Falträder müssen seit Sommer 2007 nicht mehr verpackt sein!

http://www.fa-oeffentlicher-verkehr.adfc.de/Service.html

And

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/broschueren/MDB105478-bahn_bike_folder_2012.pdf

Für verpackte/unverpackte/demontierte handelsübliche Fahrräder ist eine Fahrradkarte zu erwerben. Zusammengeklappte Fahrräder (letztere auch unverpackt) können mitgenommen werden, sofern diese wie Handgepäck unter bzw. über dem Sitz sicher verstaut werden können.

My bold.

From the same PDF: seems they'd suggest you use Kuriergepäck for your regular bike.

Die Kuriergepäck-Preise Inland

Fahrrad (je Stück) 25,80 Euro

Fahrradverpackung 5,90 Euro

(bei gleicher Abhol- und Zustelladresse)

Nordseeinseln und Hiddensee, Aufpreis 7,00 Euro

Spätservice (17 bis 21 Uhr), Aufpreis 6,30 Euro

Posted

Great! That price list does not include folding bikes because they're free, right?

Posted

DB logic: If it's not in a bag, it's a bike and it's prohibited. If it's in a bag, it's luggage and allowed.

Solution: Buy a canvas case with a zipper for the bike.

You usually need to fold it up first; that means loosening the headset and turning the forks around, as well as removing the pedals. At least this is the requirement when putting one on a plane, so just covering a bike as it is with a big bag is not going to cut it.

Posted

If youve ever been on an ICE with anything bigger than a cabin-certified trolley bag youll leave your bike, folding or otherwise, at home. At times you can be lucky to get on an ICE yourself.

Posted

I think it makes perfect sense. Bikes are generally dirty with bits sticking out of them that people can catch their clothes on. Put it into a bag and it's not going to do any harm. In case you think I'm anti-bike, I travel on normal trains with my bike a lot, in the specially designated bike spots. ICE trains don't have these, as passengers are more profitable, so it's only fair that a bike be packed up out of the way.

Posted

Bikes are not allowed on ICE trains at all.

Well that's a shitter, guess i'll have to look at renting a bike there.

I believe this to be the marketing ploy behind "call-a-bike".

Posted

If you don't need the bike the whole trip, you can take part in one of the bike rental systems here. We use Metropolradruhr pretty often: metropolradruhr, there is also Revier-Rad: Revier-rad. Metropolrad is only €8 a day max so it is cheap than DB Call-a-bike. There are several stations in Dortmund, including 4 bike pick up places at the station and you can check online if the place you want a bike has a bike there or not.

Posted

If you booked your ticket online (and it isn't a special) you can cancel it online (Stornieren) up to the day before, get a full refund and re-book an IC ticket. You won't get your €4 seat reservation back, though - which in my view is a little scandal because they will sell it to someone else. Taking a bike on the IC costs about €6 if you have a Bahncard, and you can hang it up in the bike carriage which is either at the front or the back of the train.

You can take a Klapprad on an ICE but as there isn't much room in 2nd class it is a pain in the arse for everyone else if the train is full - as are the massive suitcases some people try to drag down the aisles when the trains are packed on long weekends...

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I heard that folding bikes are allowed on ICE trains as long as it is able to be fit in the storage areas overhead, between seats, under seats, and the little baggage box.

Has anyone tried this?

I have a Dahon Speed TR folding bike which comes with both front and rear racks, which makes it still quite wide when folded. Is there enough space on the ICE to fit my bike? It's been a long time since I've been on a ICE so I can't remember it well. It's been difficult to get exact measurements, or photos and videos showing clearly the size of the storage spaces. I was hoping the space between the opposite facing seats would have enough space, but it doesn't look like it. Maybe the little storage box would fit?

I am not currently near a big station, so I can't go in one to look around, and I'm hesitant to purchase my next ticket because ICE vs non-ICE is either 5 hours or 7 hours.

I also travel with 4 panniers and a backpack, which means I have to take 2-3 trips in and out of the train to get my stuff loaded/unloaded. Total weight of my junk is 17kg for the bike, and 25-30kg for the bags.

I've taken RE and IC trains, and have been able to leave my bike in the bike cars without being charged, but my bike does not fit under or over the seats. It's too wide.

Thanks

Posted

I don't have direct personal experience on travelling with a folded bike. However, you write that your bike doesn't fit under or over the seats in the RE/IC trains. Storage space in the ICE is at a much greater premium than in the RE/IC trains, i.e. there is even less of it and therefore IMO you won't be able to get your folded bike on. There is one very small double-tiered storage box per coach (IIRC capacity about 3 normal-sized suitcases per tier), which fills up immediately - don't count on being able to stow it there. Not to mention stowing your panniers and backpack, which probably also won't go over the seats and will need to go in the same storage box. Not going to happen, not to mention the problems you're going to have getting everything on/off in the very short time calculated for stops - sometimes you're lucky just to get on yourself!

Go for the IC, it's much cheaper and often not all that much slower than the ICE, plus you have a designated space for your bike.