Turkey sizes and German ovens

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm about to order a 25 lb. (11 kilo) fresh turkey from a local farmer for Thanksgiving.

But I'm a bit worried that it'll be so big that it won't fit in a German oven. The woman said that she could cut it in half for me! And I said, no way, don't do that! It needs to be whole!

Anyone have experience about how big of a turkey will fit in a standard German size oven?

Melissa

Posted

I cooked a 7 kilo turkey once and it fit in the oven... just barely though. It was a really small oven though.

Posted

Why don't you measure the inside dimensions of your oven and compare them to a search for "dimensions of 25lb turkey"?

Posted

sorry but this is a very daft question. as showem said use your brain and measure your oven.

Posted

Well, it may sound daft, but I still don't have an answer.

As far as I can tell, there is no easily found website that has the dimensions of a 25 pound turkey.

But this is actually quite a common question. There are actually two help lines to call in the U.S. about making turkey for Thanksgiving I found on the Internet. One is from the USDA and the other is from Butterball (a turkey producing company). I might just have to give them a call with my oven dimensions tonight. ;-)

Posted

Since it's like two cents a minute to call, go ahead and make the call. :P

Though, if anyone else has this question, posting the numbers or links would be beneficial to them in the future.

No chance I'll ever cook... but someone a year from now might.

Posted

It does sound daft. I typed "dimension of 25lb turkey" into google and got a load of webpages giving the dimensions of ovens that could easily accomodate the turkey.

Posted

There are actually two help lines to call in the U.S. about making turkey for Thanksgiving I found on the Internet.

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Does the weight of a turkey guarantee that the dimensions will be standard? I mean you could buy a 25lb turkey and find that it's a load of cock.

Posted

keydeck you may not be aware but the T-Day Turkey is the test of adulthood in the US. Especially for wives having their mothers-in-law over to their place for the first time. Very intimidating. I haven't had my mother-in-law over for the big day yet myself, but someday I'll have to screw up my courage and do it... I've only been practicing for 5 years!

Tja, the US just has customer service, you know? God I miss those toll-free numbers...

Posted

Embarrasingly enough, there is also always a turkey hotline in England too. I've never really understood why. Most problems in England are from not defrosting the turkey, which is stupid, and cooking them is pretty much just lobbing in the oven for a period of time that is probably defined on the packaging anyway. Lame.

Posted

What size of turkey fits in German oven?

Damn, I thought this was going to be like a trivia question or something. :P

Posted

my German oven looks about the same size as my American one- but a 25 lb Turkey is big by any standard. Since it will be tight no matter what- plan on longer cooking time for the heat to circulate; especially if you are stuffing it...of course those pies etc will have to be done well ahead of time :)

Good luck- just wondering how she/he would have cut it in half anyway?!!! which half/ vertical or horizontal? think of a horizontal turkey dinner- very strange!!!

Posted

Just picture a 12 lb. half Hendl and you get the idea... Enough for you and 20 of your crew.

An idea for next Oktoberfest maybe?

Posted

a 25lber! turkey sandwiches for a month. or are you entertaining an extended family?

(hmm, must go and check google as showem suggested)

Posted

jeeez. Thata a big old turkey.

Cutting it in half is clearly an utterly shit idea if done lengthways, but its not a million miles away from what I'd do.

I'd actually remove the legs and wings, leaving just the breast crown. The breast cooks quicker than the legs anyway, so its not a bad idea to cook them separately.

The breast crown you can roast as normal, and the legs you can either roast separately, or do what I'd do, and bone them out, stuff and roll them. Maybe your butcher can do the boning bit, but then its a simple case of stuffing them, and rolling them up in tin foil like a sausage to keep their shape.

The legs are then just simple to slice, and obviously will look great if you have stuffed them. You could cook one, and freeze one. Lovely

Posted

Amimeli's question is a pretty simple one compared to the other questions the turkey hotlines get. Snopes has a collection of some the interesting turkey questions the hotlines get asked. Tee hee. :D

Posted

I had a 12KG turkey last year, and it barely fit in (about and inch on the top and 1 1/2 inches left on the sides). At first glance, I though that I was going to have to put vaseline on the sides. My oven doesn't have the heating elements exposed. But if it did, it wouldn't have fit. I put the turkey in the biggest pan that would fit on the very bottom of the oven (no grill).

The best thing to do is to ask the person who you are ordering the turkey from. If it is directly from a farmer, they usually know. Also make sure to tell them to take the guts out and put them in a bag. This "service" is not automatic.

Posted

The topic reminds me of an anecdote.

A young woman always cut off the end of the turkey before she baked it. When asked why, she responded that that was the way her mother had taught her. A subsequent interview with her mother revealed that she had also learned it from her mother who had always done it that way.

Then, when they asked the grandmother why she always cut off the end of the turkey, the answer was that her oven was too small to accommodate a full-sized turkey.

Posted

I know people think this is a ridiculous question, but would love to hear feedback from those that have successfully cooked a whole turkey here in a "standard" sized oven. I think we have the 60 cm oven, but the interior dimensions are much smaller, so i am quite nervous. But, I really want to cook a whole turkey this year!

So, any success stories, and please indicate the size of your bird, if you don't mind.

PS -- I am guessing the frozen one's from the Hit would work, but I am trying to order mine from Viktualienmarkt and am not sure how to discuss this before hand as I'm guessing the size may vary? I was thinking a 7 - 9 kg bird. Thanks!

Posted

Measure the inside of your oven and the roaster you want to use. Does it fit? Now take your tape measure to a store and measure a frozen Turkey in the size you are looking for. Will it fit your pan and oven? That is about the only way I can think of to guesstimate.

Posted

I just did a quick search:

with a normal sized AEG oven the limit is 8 kg, if you crush the ribcage 10 kg might work. Or you cook it like this

post-111177-13529798708167.jpg