Things not to do at apartment viewing

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Hallo guys.

I am looking for apartment now and last week I visited one.

During viewing, I wanted to check shower pressure because the room was at 15th floor or something.

So I stepped into bath tub and checked it with my shoes on.

After that, the agent guy asked me to take my shoes off since he assumed they got wet (I knew they were not but whatever) so I took them off.

I continued checking room and that was it. I was with my German colleague so communication was not an issue.

If the guy needed to say something to me he could have said it right away.

A few days later, I asked my colleague to call the guy since I wanted to take the room.

Then, I was declined because he did not like my behavior at viewing (checking shower part).

I was like, what a small ass he is, but I am not so sure if his attitude is normal in Germany.

For information, I am single, non-smoker, no pet, and working full-time as engineer and have Master degree from US,

so aside from my limited German, looking Asian, and being Auslander I think I am an ideal rentee.

What pissed me a bit is the guy also asked me to bring Führungszeugnis, a kind of background check certificate,

if I am going to take the room. It costs me 15 euro to get it in town hall and I was going to get it.

Why the hell did he ask me that shit if he already decided (I am sure at the viewing he already has) not to let me take the room?

I feel that was just him bullshitting me.

Anyway I don't want to misbehave again at viewing in the future,

so I want to know some more things I should be careful about at apartment viewing.

Posted

What you did had nothing to do with it. He didn't want you. And he just came up with some quick excuse. That's all. He does not care about what you think about him.

Posted

I would never step into a tub with my shoes on unless I was doing a renovation, but checking the water pressure with permission is fine.

Generally, just ignore whatever reason is given by an agent or landlord. Simply focus on whether they said "yes" or "no".

Posted

I'm a freelancer (no fixed income)..., and yet I've not had any problems getting the places I've wanted.

Yeah, but women have other assets as well :)

Posted

Usually the decision is made by the landlord so it's quite possible the agent reported back to the landlord who decided against you (for whatever reason) and the agent then gave you a reason which he could justify. If you find yourself turned down for other places and you get the feeling it is due to prejudice you may decide to mention your background at the time you make the appointment to save wasting time on an apartment where the landlord has already decided against foreigners.

Posted

I am in the process of finding a new apartment with my boyfriend :D but I have yet to actually see one in person. Everytime we reply to a immobilienscout24.com ad the apartment is either already taken or will not tolerate my boyfriends smoking (only happened once) but I too was wondering about proper apartment viewing etiquette. I would hate to see the perfect apartment and not get it because I said or did something wrong. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

-J

Posted

The only situation I can imagine where xenophobia is an issue would be a small town where sometimes there are unspoken rules against renting to certain ethnic minorities (Turks, Moroccans, Russians, etc). Generally the landlord wants stable income over a decent period of time with no damage. Always do your best to convince them you plan to stay a while. However, most landlords don't always want someone who plans to stay for life as it's sometimes harder to ram rent increases through. The best strategy is convince them you've got, say, a 3-5 year contract, you love it here, but eventually you'll be returning to your home country. That's pretty much music to their ears.

Posted

I think your chances are limited if you tell the landlord you're only going to be there for only 1-2 years. If you're asked you better say at least three to five years. You can always leave the contract after three months notice even after a year.

Edit: I just saw DanHessen said the same thing.

Posted

Okay, seriously, I know of at least two natural born Germans who had a nightmare of a time trying to find an apartment, and said that they experienced rejection after rejection. Although in my personal opinion, that bizarre act of you getting into a bathtub with your shoes on and turning the water on seriously put the agent off and weighed heavily in his decision to reject you, I wouldn't be so quick to blame him as being discriminatory against foreigners. They are just extremely selective. Remember, the person they choose, they're going to have to deal with for at least a good year (or however long it takes for them to LEGITMATELY evict them when it turns out they chose the wrong tenant.)

Posted

if I was showing a place to a potential tenant and saw a guy standing in the shower fully-clothed with his shoes on, trying to check the water pressure, I'd probably think that person is either completely unfamiliar with indoor plumbing or a bit of a weirdo

or

working full-time as engineer and have Master degree from US.

There I fixed it for you. :D

Posted

We were denied many apartments, we assume because we have kids, but never once were we given a reason. I do not think they usually give one, if 20 people apply, need they really tell each one why they chose one guy over them.

He passed you move on.

Posted

Thank you for tips guys.

I admit I have some working experiences in building and renovating houses and probably that is why I did not feel so weird to step into tub with shoes on. I just did it because the shower head was placed all the way up plus tub itself had also some height. Now I also think that was not so polite. The guy was in his 60s dressed neatly, looking like typical uptight German. He spoke no English, even a word, at all during viewing. Maybe his standard for a rentee to live and behave like Germans is higher than average.

Anyway I went for another viewing today and the owner this time was an ultra nice young lady speaking perfect English.

I guess it is just one of those "Es kommt darauf an" situations.

Posted

I got my flat by coming with letters of recommendation (x3), my contract, my salary sheet, my bank balance, my certificate of free movement, I dressed in my most boring "Engineer Nerd" clothing, holding an umbrella, for the unlikely event of rain, and explaining that I it's the most perfect place ever and I will stay forever, and I can't believe how lucky I am to find this perfect place.

About 90% of the other places didn't even bother to reply to me, even when I phoned three times, and asked my German teacher to call and beg them to call me back for a flat viewing.

I suggest next time bring a cake!