Channel4 OD not working using Strongvpn

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello

I have been using strongvpn to link back to the UK. The BBC Iplayer streaming works well but streaming through channel4.com/od now seems to recognise that I am not in the uk - saying "the service is not currently available in your area". I last streamed through channel4.com/od about three weeks ago. Has something changed?

Thanks

Sarah

Posted

yes channel 4od is hard to get now!!

I have tried with several proxey's and other friends with VPN's nothing seems to work

tvcatch.com was always inpossible to get

Maybe the days of picking up tv likes are coming to an end ....

Once the BBC deceide to this way as well.

If anyone knows how to make channel 4 work then please tell

Posted

unblock-us.com works for Channel 4. I just tested again.

(N.B. Sometimes you have to hit the play button twice).

Posted

VPN UK works for me with 4OD. I used it last night. When I first signed up it didn't work so I sent a message to VPN UK asking if there was some secret setting I was missing. I didn't get a reply but the next day it started working again. Maybe send a message to strongvpn?

Posted

The problem with 4oD seems to be limited to specific shows only. I can watch IT Crowd but not Big Bang Theory for which I get the "the service is not currently available in your area" message. If I am not on the VPN (myExpat)I cannot watch anything so it seems there are different levels of area verification applicable to different shows. Probably dependent on the licensing terms. Anyone else has this same experience?

Posted

Hello - thanks for all the tips. It actually is now working once I have changed the time/location setting of my laptop back from "Berlin" to "London" apparently a lot of websites are now also using this as an extra check. I am pleased with strongvpn - they are very helpful for IT dummies like me.

Posted

For anyone that's still bothered, the problem seems to be with 4OD. From their website:

We're aware that some viewers are having issues trying to watch Homeland and other US programmes via our 4oD service on Channel4.com. We are working to rectify this, but in the meantime, here are a couple of tricks which may help in the short-term.

Try viewing via a different browser

If that doesn't help, uninstall and reinstall Flash

Posted

I am offering the service to unlock BBC iPlayer, Youtube (GEMA free), Channel 4, CNBC, etc.. on ANY PC or Apple Mac so you can watch / listen / read any blocked website wherever you are. No proxy / VPN monthly fee. Just set up an off charge of 20 euros. 100% money-back guarantee, done whilst you wait. message me to arrange.

Posted

I use OverPlay (via proxy.ie) , and the only issue I have is with some of the US shows, but the UK and other shows work fine. Overplay has two options, a straight VPN or you can use their SmartDNS service. VPN encrypts end to end AFAIK and the DNS just changes your location, but it's not encrypted. What's good about this is that you can watch BBC & Hulu without changing any settings.

Posted

augment is simply offering to install the "free" ExpatShield proxy software on peoples PCs. This seems to be his only "advert" that hasn't been wiped by the management.

Posted

You are wrong Yorkshire Lad, I am offering to help get people set up with Tor as lots of friends had problem configuring the software, and as I was helping some people, I though I would offer on here, Expatshield doesn't work, Tor does.

Posted

Erm, Expatshield does work, I use it every day.

Posted

So has anyone had any luck in accessing the live streaming services for UK TV such as TVCatchup? i.e. not the 'Watch Again' services on BBC iPlayer or 4OD.

Posted

Doing a search for How to access BBC iPlayer from Germany

in TT will show many posts on how to setup TOR on your computer and it saves you 20 euro!

TVcatchup seems very hard to get going !!!, no matter what you use.

However, you can get live streams direct from the BBC, ITV now, switch on your proxey/vpn/tor and click around abit in the BBC home site, you should be able to the live strams

Posted

Thanks for the tip, i've been a member on here for quite some time, so I am aware of the search function. I use Tor to watch BBC iPlayer, but Tor doesn't work with any other service.

Posted

So has anyone had any luck in accessing the live streaming services for UK TV such as TVCatchup? i.e. not the 'Watch Again' services on BBC iPlayer or 4OD.

TVCatchup have the most aggressive defence against viewing attempts from outside UK - you are unlikely to defeat them, at least not for long term.

Simplest solution for live streaming of the main UK terrestrial channels is Filmon No clever tricks, software or sneaky deals.

Posted

It's odd with 4oD at the moment. I was getting blank video boxes on my iMac, but after refreshing the window it works. I have no problems on my iPad though.

I've with Overplay and use their SmartDNS for 4oD.

Posted

Channel 4 seems to be doing some odd things at the moment.

For those of you who use their iOS app and Airplay to Apple TV like myself, I would recommend to hold back on their new update for the moment.

There are reports out there that the update that arrived yesterday completely blocks airplaying. ??? An extremely odd thing to do considering their competition is moving in the opposite way (iPlayer have had full screen mirroring for a while, and ITV recently included it in their new update)

I haven't updated the 4oD iOS app myself, so if anyone has updated can you check if this is true?