Moms with babies/young children in Heidelberg

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm intersted to know if there are moms out there with babies/toddlers who would like to meet say 1-2 a month (I have a 4month old myself) and I think it would do us both some good to meet up with other moms/babies.

Coffee, walks whatever just getting out of the house with baby. Let me know if there is an interest or not?!

We live in Leimen so Heidelberg/Mannheim area is no problem for us!!

Drop a word if ur a mom with a baby/toddler and would like to meet up!

Dani(and Ben)

Posted

Hello Dani,

I have an 8 month old daughter and I am also looking for moms with babies. We live in Heidelberg. If you wish we could meet at the Neckarwiese or any other place.

Cheers

Shruti

Posted

Yeah that sounds great! We are in Heidelberg every friday, maybe next week if the weather is nice?!

Lets keep in touch :)

Posted

Hello! Sounds great, my name is Maria and I have a 1,5 year old boy, me and my husband moved here 2 months ago and we don't know anybody...Cheers

Posted

There's a playgroup/meet up for moms/mums with babies/young children in Schwetzingen. Browse the forum for them.

Posted

I am 26 years old and live in HD/Leimen with my British boyfriend and 2 year old daughter. I am german but speak fluent english as I used to live in England. Now that I am back in HD I would like to get to know some other english speaking mums with babies/toddlers because my daughter only speaks english at the moment since that's the language we use at home.

Posted

Hi all,

It's great to know of this forum. I've lived in Pfaffengrund, Heidelberg since 2011 with my husband. I have 1 year old daughter and I'm intersted to know if there are moms in Heidelberg with babies/toddles who would like to meet every week. We can make up a permanent play group for our kids.

Minh

Posted

Hi all,

I am English with two children aged 3 1/2 and 1 and would luv to meet up with you guys!!! If no one has any plans may I suggest next week at the Necker Visa playground?

Hope to meet you soon!

Claire

Posted

Hello,

we are moving to Heidelberg this summer and I would love to meet other mums and their kids. We don't know anybody there yet... I have a 14 month old boy.

Lenka

Posted

Hi,

I will be moving with my family in Heidelberg in February next year, and at that time i will have a 2 months babay plus my 2 years old one!

I will definitly join you at that point, but for now can you please help to discover which school can i look from my 2 years old? I see all kindergarden starts from 3 year (she is going to be 3 end of August, but i need her to go to school since February)

WOuld be useful if you have some link to send me!

Thanks a lot mums!

Vale

Posted

There's a Toddler Group starting at the DAI in Heidelberg on Monday 1st Oct. 10-11am. See link: http://dai-library.blogspot.de/p/childrens-corner.html They also have a storytime for 3-5year olds.

Posted

ValeDF, all the preschools (Kindergartens) start at age 3, so the best you're likely to do is to find a daycare place for just those 6 months or so between when you move to HD and when your child can start Kindergarten. BTW, make sure to sign her up on any/all Kindergarten waiting lists as possible - as soon as possible -- so that she'll have a chance to get a place. They can be very hard to come by.

For daycare options, see here for a listing of all places, private and city-managed, which accept children under age 3. You would then need to call each one to inquire about availability (there's another thread on here where it was noted that the central listing of free places is never up-to-date and thus cannot be trusted).

As soon as possible you should also try to reserve a place for your child in a Kindergarten as of September 2013. Those are on this list (you have to sift through to identify the ones that go from age 3 to "Schuleintritt" (beginning of primary school attendance). When you have them on the phone you can ask to have your child put on the waiting list. The waiting lists are generally not binding, so that if in the event you end up not needing a place in a particular Kindergarten, you can just drop it (and/or turn them down if they ever do actually offer your child a spot).

The only other options you are likely to have are playgroups. Those are more or less informal meetings of parents with their babies/toddlers, where parents are expected to stay the whole time and attend to their own child. This is I think what is described above for toddlers at the DAI - if it's just an hour, even if the parent is allowed to leave, s/he can't go far before having to come right back to pick the child up again.

GL and HTH!

Posted

Hi everybody,

I am an aupair in Germany currently looking for a new host family in Heidelberg. I was wondering if any of you are looking for 'child care' options. I hope you might be aware of 'au pair' idea. If anyone is interested, please contact me asap. My email id is janani.jah@gmail.com. We could also meet up this weekend in heidelberg. I have the necessary valid 'au pair' visa and all other necessary legal documents. Hoping to hear from someone. Greetings:)

Posted

We are planning on moving to HD/MA area in March 2013 and we cant wait to meet other parents/kids who are english speaking or bilingual.

Do you have your kids in a bilingual kindergarten? I saw that there is one in Heidelberg and was wondering if you have any advise?

Currently our 4 year old goes to Montessori here in the US and we LOVE it, but I emailed the Montessori so many times in Heidelberg and never get a reply.

Posted

Don't rely on email -- you want to call them on the phone (however inconvenient this is for you time-zone wise, and regardless of how good/poor your German skills are), and make sure you get on the waiting lists for any/all kindergartens that come into question for you (geographically, linguistically, otherwise). So, for Heidelberg, call the DAI Kindergarten(s), and Baden International School in addition to the Montessori. Get on the lists and you can always decline if/when they offer you a space and you don't want it. It is highly likely that your 4-year-old has to wait until September 2013 to get a place in any Kindergarten as the waiting lists are long and any places that become free during the school year are often filled directly from those lists.

Posted

Hi

I am new in Heidelberg and there is such a half year delay till my PhD project starts. I would like to do babysitting in this time and also as a part time job when the project starts. I am 30 years old and I speak english, persian, kurdish, and a little bit deutsch. so if you where intrested in , you can email me on: skaallaa@gmail.com / regards

Posted

Hello & HELP,

Moving to Heidelberg in Jan with partners work, will be 4 months pregnant then. Not sure how I change over to maternity care in Germany of if it's free. Does anyone have any experience or advice they can offer?

Thanks

Posted

Hello,

I will be moving to Heidelberg with my husband in January. We are a Indian couple with a 2.6 yr old boy who would luv some company. Meetings in the park or something like that. PM me please. Thanks. Regards.

Posted

Hey Everyone,

My name is Teresa Kieseier and I am a student at the University of Konstanz majoring in English Linguistics. I am in the process of writing my Masters Thesis and am conducting a study with German-English Bilingual Preschoolers.

As I spend some time in Heidelberg every few weeks, I came across this forum and wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in participating? I am comparing the production of Sp- and St- sound clusters in German and German English Preschoolers (aged 3.7 to 6). If you are interested you can just send me a message or email me (teresa.kieseier@uni-konstanz.de). The test would take about 20 minutes per language (both tested on the same day consecutively) and I would come to your home and play some games with your child (e.g. memory). Each child receives a small gift at the end.

As it is quite difficult to find bilingual particpiants for my study, I would be really thankful if you could help.

If you have any further questions, please let me know! I can send you a more detailed description of the study as well.

Best regards,

Teresa Kieseier

Posted

New to Heidelberg area with almost four year old. Would love to create a play/coffee chat time for moms and children on Monday mornings. Could host or meet at a local park. Let me know if there is an interest. We speak English but welcome anyone. Blessings,

Kristynpooh@gmail.com

Posted

This may sound strange but is there any room for Dads in this thing? I need to start taking my son to some English speaking playgroups nearby. :)

Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm intersted to know if there are some english speaking mothers with babies in Heidelberg area that would like to meet up once and while for a coffee, walk or whatever. Im at home with my 4month old son and would love to meet some other mothers and get out from the house and have some adult company :) Send me a message if there are any interested!

Hanna and Hugo

Posted

Hi,

I'm a Brit rediscovering Heidelberg through the eyes of a new mum (my little boy is now almost 5 months old). Anyone in a similar situation and want to meet up?

Posted

Hello all,

My daughter and I are moving to Heidelberg next week. Where are you guys all meeting up? Cheers

Posted

This may sound strange but is there any room for Dads in this thing? I need to start taking my son to some English speaking playgroups nearby.

I am new here, but I'd say, why not? :)