Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on Schwalbach & surrounding areas

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

It is very likely I will be relocating with my current employer to Schwalbach within the next couple of months so I am trying to do some research up front.

I am single, 33 year old English guy and will be moving over on my own so am trying to find out where is the best place in terms of cost / commuting distance to Schwalbach.

I have learnt of some the expensive area's on this site and will be wanting to avoid those as coming over on my own from renting in UK I have limited funds to bring with me so am looking for an area where I can survive on single salary.

Ideally no more than 30 mins from Schwalbach & least some English people.

Not fused about being too close to Frankfurt as I don't think I will head there very often.

Thanks

Posted

If you're working in StalinbachSchwalbach am Taunus that's as good a place as any to live on one salary. There are some English there but not a vast community - the foreigners are mostly the usual Turks plus some Koreans (Samsung has a HQ nearby). Living elsewhere and commuting is unlikely to save you much money, or put you nearer large concentrations of English people (there aren't any real concentrations anywhere around here - all the English I know in and around Frankfurt are spread out rather than clustered).

Stalinbach is a reference to the architecture - much of the town is like a big mistake in the DDR, circa 1964. But that's hardly unique to Stalinbach.

Posted

Thanks for the advice, I would like to stay nearish to work until I am used to living in German and have learnt the language and culture so this should be a good start point.

Any perspective on what kind of salary should be comfortable for a singleton to rent / eat / drive?

I have been looking at some websites and working out potential take home pay and rent but I have no idea how much it is likely to cost to run a car for a Brit.

Posted

Depends how you cost running a car, also what car? I reckon on €0.5 per kilometre, but that's running a high-maintenance low-mileage, expensive-to-insure car and including stuff like depreciation and garage rental.

If you have no-claims in the UK get this documented and I can put you in touch with a financial adviser who deals specifically with expats and can get that recognised by some of the insurance companies here. That doesn't necessarily mean you get a better deal and you can't transfer "credit" for overseas no-claims to another insurer, unless they specifically accept it.

As a single person, Steuerklasse I is never going to be kind to your take-home pay. What you can live on really depends on your lifestyle expectations. Rental wise Schwalbach is not the most expensive of areas on the Frankfurt outskirts, but not the cheapest either, and as I said there is a lot of tedious high-rise. This is at least not generally associated with the kind of social problems it causes in the UK. I wouldn't live there, but I know people who do and claim to be happy with it.

Posted

Hallo,

Schwalbach is not as bad as scoffer makes it out to be ;-). Yes, there are a few high-rise flats but there are also very beautiful areas in the old part. I live in a nearby town and am often in Schwalbach.

If you are moving to Schwalbach without a car, it may be worth looking at places to live from which you can get to work using public transport. Schwalbach has a S-Bahn station S3. A new station on the Kronberger Hang has just been opened for people working at Samsung etc.

You can reach Schwalbach by bus from Bad Soden, Niederhöchstadt and Eschborn. S3 S-Bahn also goes from Bad Soden and Eschborn to Schwalbach.

It might be worth checking the travel zones as commuting is quite expensive if you have to go to a different zone.

The whole area is known as the Vordertaunus and, as far as I am aware, there are British people dotted around but there are no large groups.

Look at the town's homepage: schwalbach.de and use immobilienscout.de to see what rented accommodation is available.

There are many supermarkets in the town or within walking distance: REWE, Aldi, Lidl, Penny. There is a huge shopping centre (Main-Tanus-Zentrum) about 5 km away with all sorts of department stores ranging from Galeria Kaufhof, Karstadt, P&C etc. to Hollisters and an Apple store.

There is a large market on Fridays and a smaller one on Tuesday.

Hope I could help.

BeeGee17

Posted

Thanks very much for the helpful replies and info, much appreciated :)

Posted

If you're still,looking, I have thevperfect pad for a single guy very easy for Schwalbach in the idyllic Taunus. Let me know...

Posted

About 4km further out toward Wiesbaden is Hofheim/Kriftel where we live. More expensive than Schwalbach but good mix of expats here. Hattersheim is a bit cheaper and just the other side of the A66.

Posted

Hey,

I have a 1 bed apartment furnished 385 per month warm to rent from 1st jan.

Its in Georgenborn schlangenbad,

If intrested email me: amy.chalkley90@hotmail.co.uk

Posted

Hi Shaunydub,

did you eventually get a place in Schwalbach or somewhere else?

I am considering options to buy an apartment in Schwalbach & would like to know about the place in general.

Others are welcome to comment also.

I have heard that there are lot of crimes happening in Schwalbach - not sure though if they are specific to some areas or overall. Any inputs would be appreciated on this concern.

I understand that safe or unsafe is perceived differently by different people but if any of you have had any personal bad experiences I would like to make myself aware about it before I make any decisions.

Thank you.