How get sim card without German bank account?

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I visit Berlin one month per year. I need a sim card. But every online company I've found requires either a German bank account, or else a credit card registered at a German address. These restrictions are recent, to combat terrorism, either when you try to buy the card or afterwards when you try to activate it.

Does anyone know how I can obtain a prepaid German SIM (other than asking a German friend to do it in their name)?

Thanks.

Posted

Last time I was in Berlin I had forgotten my (data) SIM card. A nearby Vodafone shop sold me a new one and the nice shop lady filled out the form using my hotel address and a fictitious passport number.

Edeka (my favourite prepaid provider in Germany) will sell you a card over the counter which you can enable online using pretty much any address. They will also accept top-up from non-German credit cards. I know they do an identity check using Schufa, but not everyone is on Schufa so this can't be definitive, and in my case the check was made a week after the card was enabled and being used.

Posted

I have bought a number of sim cards from those dodgy looking Turkish phone shops. I've only had to give them the cash for the card and that's it - no passport, no address.

Posted

Go to any grocery store. For example, I use Ja Mobile and it's from Rewe. So, go to Rewe and ask the cashier for a Ja Mobile starter pack. I think it costs 15 euros. You get a 10 euro credit on the sim card. Anytime you need a refill, go to Rewe and buy a refill card. The cashier gives you a receipt with a special number on it. You dial it on your phone and it's refilled. Ja Mobile is T-Mobile, so the network is good.

Posted

You missed a bit. After you bought the Ja! mobile card you need to activate it.

You can also top up these cards (in English) using PayPal or credit card at Cabox

Posted

i am just visiting germany short term for business, and i looked for a sim card as well, considering it is cheaper to use a german prepaid sim. I bought one from a company called congstar which is a subcompany from t mobile, so it will have good coverage.

Just go to a drugstore called "Rossman", the sim was 9,95 euro i think with 10 euro credit. To activate the card just go to the congstar web page and enter any address. I don't know if they even verify if the address even exists.

If u need to reload the sim, just get one of those refill cards in the Rossman store. It's just a little paper thingy with a barcode on it, hanging on a wall, they will give u the actual code on a receipt at the check out.

They have three data plans, 10 euro for 500 mb, 13 euro for 1 gb and 20 euro for 3 gb. To subscribe to a data plan, just log in on the congstar site and then select the plan.

Posted

Go to any grocery store. For example, I use Ja Mobile and it's from Rewe. So, go to Rewe and ask the cashier for a Ja Mobile starter pack. I think it costs 15 euros. You get a 10 euro credit on the sim card. Anytime you need a refill, go to Rewe and buy a refill card. The cashier gives you a receipt with a special number on it. You dial it on your phone and it's refilled. Ja Mobile is T-Mobile, so the network is good.

I did this and now I'm wondering where I can buy credit for my phone. Is it only at Rewe? Since it's on the Congstar/T-mobile network could I buy Congstar credit to top it up? I've been to a few Spaetkaufs and none of them seem to sell Ja Mobil! credit.

Posted

You can buy credit at any Rewe, toom or toom Baumarkt

Posted

I agree with PandaMunich. I've had a Tschibo card for almost two years, bought it over the counter at a Tschibo outlet, and am very happy with it. I've used it on a smartphone for email and net surfing but now just use it on a cheap Nokia. I top up when I need to and it seems my credit lasts for ages.

Posted

I'm wondering where I can buy credit for my phone.

Although it's not an official way to load credit, you can load a Ja! mobile account by buying any T-Mobile "Xtra" voucher, for example as a reload card at many supermarkets, filling stations or post office. This gives you a recharge code which you simply enter into your phone: "*101*recharge-code#<call>" or call 9577 (for free) and follow the instructions.

You can also recharge at many ATMs or through online banking by selecting the T-mobile network and entering your phone number.

Posted

Although it's not an official way to load credit, you can load a Ja! mobile account by buying any T-Mobile "Xtra" voucher, for example as a reload card at many supermarkets, filling stations or post office. This gives you a recharge code which you simply enter into your phone: "*101*recharge-code#<call>" or call 9577 (for free) and follow the instructions.

You can also recharge at many ATMs or through online banking by selecting the T-mobile network and entering your phone number.

So I can just ask the guys if they have T-Mobile "Xtra" and that should do the trick? Is this different from the regular T-Mobile credit?

Thanks so much, this is what I was looking for.

Posted

The prepaid product from T-mobile is called "Xtra"

Posted

There are also Lebara and Lyca mobile, available from most call shops, and even my local newsagent's. Mainly used for cheap calls abroad, but I think local calls are 9 cents or so.

Posted

Hi there,

Does anyone know if 'Ja Mobil' sim cards from ReWe stores are still available to use for those without a German bank account? Im in this situation myself now and was wondering if anyne could tell me before #i buy one and find that I'm unable to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted

Yes, don't worry.

You can also buy credit for it by forking over cash in any Rewe supermarket.

Posted

You can also get prepaid SIMs from every other carrier without a bank account as well..

Posted

You also don't need a bank account with Aldi-Talk SIMs. You just buy credit at any Aldi store.

Posted

You also don't need a bank account with Aldi-Talk SIMs. You just buy credit at any Aldi store.

Do try to keep up / read before posting..

Yes, don't worry.

You can also buy credit for it by forking over cash in any Rewe supermarket.

You can also get prepaid SIMs from every other carrier without a bank account as well..

Posted

There are also Lebara and Lyca mobile, available from most call shops, and even my local newsagent's. Mainly used for cheap calls abroad, but I think local calls are 9 cents or so.

We've been using Lebara for a while for our private phones, we use them mainly for DATA because they are on the Telekom network (good quality) and for calling abroad because it is extremely cheap (I can call land lines back home for 1 cent per minute). The catch is they have "connection charges", this means every call gets charged with an additional fee, IIRC correctly it is 9 cents for national calls and 15 cents for internationals. So if you are the kind of person who makes a lot of short calls this is probably not a good offer for you because you will end up paying double.

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get a Lyca sim card.