Colon Vs Goethe or any other

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Everyone, I need a little bit of advice from you guys about the best possible options, which of the institutes provide the best coaching. I am looking to start the course next month onwards. While Goethe completes the course in about 2 months upto B1 i guess , Colon goes at a slower pace, taking about 2.5 months for one level( This is from their websites). Please suggest in terms of experience which is better to join. Do let me know if there is a better option available, but it has to be an evening course

Thanks & Regards,

BSD

Posted

I'm looking forward to start such course myself, so I can't speak from personal experience,but most of the people advised me Goethe.

Since their price is too high for me, I'm considering Colon- they offer intensive course, and I'm pretty sure that it is up to you how fast you reach the next level in language, the course is only providing skills for that.

Posted

Goethe is overpriced (having gone there myself). They are geared more for corporate clients. Also, it all depends on the teacher and the quality of the students in the class. Besides, the 2 extra weeks probably is very handy. You're cramming a lot of rules and grammar in your brain in a short amount of time.

Posted

Check out Tandem-I like it there. Ich habe viel gelernt ;)

Posted

Try these online courses - good and free of charge.

here:

Posted

You should try Uns Germany, they are good

Posted

Hey all, can someone tell me what the name of the course books Colon uses for their courses? In particular, the A2 course. I emailed them but no answer yet and I'm keen to buy the Themen Aktuell A2 books off a friend if those are the name. Thanks!

Posted

try Inlingua (in front of HBF)..i made their course till B2 (but not in Hamburg)..great quality and very good price, fully recommended

Posted

Honestly?

If you have time and $$$, go for Goethe (but not the evening courses), do the intensive course.

The 1st time I did it, was amazing.

Then they changed the board, and it was really bad!

I heard good references about Colon, myself I would like to have my bildungsurlaub there...but after I made one probieren class, I was "hummmm"...

The point is: German is the kind of language of need to study at home, do homework and etc...it´s quite complicated ;-)

At least for me...I speak 3-4 languages and I simply cannot speak German (because I dont put any effort on it and I work/travel a LOT!)

but if you have the chance, I would say Goethe...

good luck!

Isa

Posted

What would someone recommend as a language school in Hamburg? I would like to do an intensive course (4 hours/day ; 5 days/week) for 3 months. I realize that (good) education costs money, but Goethe is out of my price range, im afraid.

Posted

I have been to the Deutsch Akadamie, they are good. It's 285€ for 4 days per week, 3 hours each day.

Posted

I've had a great experience with Colon for the BAMF integration course (mon-fri 9am-1pm) which costs me 120 euros per month - bargain! For some people it's free. We were very lucky to have two great regular teachers, but it was somewhat hit and miss with supply/substitutes. Some good, some terrible. On the whole, if you got the same teachers as I did, I'd happily recommend Colon.

Posted

I attend Tandem and they are great ... Much better than Colon (and much nicer and really appreciate your individuality). Goethe is naturally the best but extremely expensive. Check out Tandem ... I've really appreciated the past few months I've had there!

Posted

Another vote for Tandem here...I'm currently having my lessons there, 1-1 as I prefer to learn at my own pace rather than that of the group. They very helpfully scheduled me with classes after my work hours, so are flexible with regards to time and date. And you get a discounted rate if you sign up for a block of 20 lessons.

Posted

Goethe is much better option than Colon, but is it very expensive, which at the same ensures that everyone attends and are motivated to learn, ... Colon is also good, but unfortunately the level varies a lot depending of the teacher and the group, but it is the one that I regulary attend...

Posted

Are there not any kind of universities that have summercourses German which one could follow for 1 - 2 months? & perhaps can provide cheap accomodations while the students are away.

Posted

You should look into UNS Germany, they are good. All the students are really young, because they are all applying to go to the <university, but thats why its good, you learn fast.

Posted

You should look into UNS Germany, they are good. All the students are really young, because they are all applying to go to the <university, but thats why its good, you learn fast.

Posted

It depends so much on the teacher you have..!

I did Colon for two months, and wasn't happy at all.

Later I did individual classes in Goethe Institut, which were supposed to be the best - and I wasn't happy with that either. Maybe it was me, maybe it was my teacher - I don't know.

Now I'm doing evening course in Goether Institut, third time, 7 months already - and I think it's great. Our teacher is superb! When you apply, always ask for the best teacher - even if it changes your schedule, or slightly the level you are on. Always go for the best teacher.

Kuba

Posted

Are there not any kind of universities that have summercourses German which one could follow for 1 - 2 months? & perhaps can provide cheap accomodations while the students are away.

Have a look here, perhaps:

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/sommerkurse/en/

Posted

Just like to chip in on this subject. I went to Colon last year for an intensive day course and came out unimpressed. We had a change of teacher mid-way through our German course and things went downhill from there. In general I just couldn't get to grips with the teaching methods used there.

Even though my experience was negative I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with good things to say about Colon.