Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dogs fouling the pavements

71 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a rant, my usually daily walk from my apartment to the U-Bahn is now becoming more an obstacle course rather than a walk, trying to hop, skip and jump over dogs' mess.

I know this was really bad around the outskirts of London for a long time where I grew up, but since these laws introduced a few years ago, 400 pounds fine, the owners have now starting picking up their dog's poo. Not perfect yet, but a lot better than I remember it!

Are there any such laws in Germany, which state people should either prevent their dogs fouling the pavements or clean up after them?

We all now how dangerous this can be, kids falling etc.

Posted

Reminds me of the time I was walking to the local market and looked down. You know how sometimes theres about a meter wide green belt between the sidewalk and the road? Well, someone was obviously ticked off at the amount of owners who were curbing their dogs there, as he or she had taken the little flags that kids can get from McDonalds and stuck one in each turd. There must have been 20 flags in the 5 meters of verge.

Posted

if there is, I bet it's small. when they were trying to convince me on my rotation to Munich at work, one of their (minor and desperate) selling points was that I wouldn't have to pick up after my dog...

Posted

There´s not a law, but a by-law.

Like in UK you could get fined, but in Germany it´s a penalty by the local Ordnungsamt.

I think the orgininal idea was to send inspectors who write tickets or something, but apparently it doesn´t work.

<_<

Even more disgusting than let ones dog use the pavement is to let it use the sand box on a playground

:blink:

Posted

The playground thing is more of a custom that everyone adheres to. If you let your dog anywhere near the inside of a fenced in playground you get yelled at by people left and right. They don't want their little Helmut picking up poo and playing with/eating it.

As far as the street goes I suggest a pellet gun and a deer tree stand. Sprinkle some bitch pee on yourself and pick off the dogs and their owners at will. ;)

Posted

It's really bad now that the snow is melting, all the old and frozen turds are resurfacing and thawing.

I'm surprised, being how nitpicky the Germans (especially the Münchener) are about tidiness, that there is so much crap on the sidewalks. BUt I guess it could be worse, we could be in Berlin.

Posted

Wait till the summer. Then wait for the smell ! hmm... nice !!

back when I first came here, I would have agreed, surprised that it's like this, but today, I am just not so sure anymore. It's getting to the stage where generally a lot of Germans just don't care anymore.

I say fine them more ! they will remember more then. The Germans are geizig than any other nation I know !!

Hey, what the new motto ? geizig ist geil ?? (stingy is cool - for you none german speakers !)

Posted

Stingy is horny, if you want to read it that way.

Posted

Yeah, I'm not allowed use the word "Geil" at home 'cause apparently I get it wrong all the time.

Incidentally if you think the stink is bad here, it's nothing compared to Vienna. Equal if not more dogs, also you get the wonderful smell of horse shite in town from all the Fiakers. Apparently they're trying to get the horses to wear nappies now cut down on it and the animal rights people are having a field day.

Posted

I always found horse shite to be a not entirely unpleasant smell... there's something fresh about it.

Posted

Actually that wasnt the dogs...

Posted

Turd Twister

wonder if these could be used for dogs too?

Posted

:lol:

THAT is some funny shit! I think the spaghetti one would be nice...

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

WTF is wrong with Germans NOT picking up after their dog? WTF is wrong with Germans wrapping the dog leash around their own f#cking neck like it's some fashion accessory and letting their dog run freely?

I just don't understand this nasty filthy f#cking behavior? Everywhere you walk there's dog shit on the sidewalks, any green space you may have in Munich is full of dog shit!

I'm starting to get really pissed off not being able to walk my TWO dogs in a clean environment, and having to dodge a mind field of dog shit every time we go walking. To top it off my dog was bitten today by one of those dogs running in front of their owner while the owners walk so proudly with the dog leash around their own effing neck! WTF? Are we not in a civilized cosmopolitan city? Why doesn't the city do something about this? Why is this NOT being enforced?

Uhhhh! Sorry for ranting but my dog was pretty much attacked today by one of those (HE's a FRIENDLY DOG dis is vhy ve vear ze dog collar around our own neck because itz zo kool instead of around ze dogs) What a great start to a beautiful weekend here in Munich!

Please tell me is this pretty much the same problem in every German or European city?

Where in Munich can I live where there are responsible dog owners and there isn't shit everywhere?

Posted

hahah, dog shit here is MINIMAL

Brussels is covered with dog shit, it is even fun to see :)

I find it amazing that people can just let their dogs off leash, like they are supposed to be - free to run around!

Posted

In the Rablstrasse there is a long strip of grass about a metre and a half wide that goes the full length of Mahag VW main dealers. During the summer this small strip of grass is so full with dog crap that the smell some days is almost over powering.

I have lived in Munich for around 15 years and find the the whole attitude to dogs here very strange. I regulary watch in disbelief cyclists riding along with a dog in tow, sometimes they are connected to a lead sometimes not. This has got to be very dangerous but the police seem to turn a blind eye to it all. I do know that in a UK city a dog not on a lead is a regarded as a stray. The maximum fine for dog fouling in the UK is £1000 but in most cases anyone fined will normally have to pay less than that.

Posted

Amusing stuff here. SO alienated from nature. People piss in bushes, on the street after a couple of beers and all the rest of it. And yet, when dogs do it..jeez. First World problems indeed.

Apparently, kangaroos piss and shit , too. And maybe penguins..but I´m not sure.

Human beings are such hypocrits.

Posted

People piss in bushes, on the street after a couple of beers and all the rest of it. And yet, when dogs do it..jeez.

You mean you find such behaviour acceptable?

Posted

I would prefer a public convenience, Kay..available and everywhere. But that´s not the way it is. People need a quick way out and if it isn´t available, they do it. Just like dogs, cats et al.

Posted

Yes, dogs piss and shit - it's nature, most people aren't actually bothered with dogs shitting on the foothpath, what bothers most people is the fact that it's left there and they very often end up with a nasty "surprise" stuck to their shoes…

As for penguins and kangaroos shitting too, how often have you seen a kangaroo or a penguin roaming the city streets of germany and fouling on the paths…?

Posted

You mean 'men' need a quick way out. When's the last time you saw a woman squatting by a tree and letting rip? As for defecation, even you can't say you've seen a human poo on the pavement in this country. Being a dog owner, it does disgust me as to the irresponsibility of the other dog owners in my neighborhood. It is foul (literally) and it is a health hazard. No wonder you get crazy people trying to poison animals with laced sausages or razor blades hidden in the food. Completely messed up on both sides.

Women do it, too, when they have to, hams. Normally, less conspiculously than men and not on the street. Basically, hiding away in the woods etc. It´s not wonderful but if there´s no public convenience around and you´re caught really short..well, what do you do?

I haven´t seen human poo on the streets here - thankfully - but try the woods. In my local park, there is a bunch of vodka-swillers, all times of days, and it happens - alcoholic women, too..close to the car park.

We ( my girlfriend and I ) are dog owners and are as responsible as possible. Dog poo is a health hazard. BUT NO reason to poison animals - that´s not the reason people do it. They are simply psychopaths. If it weren´t a dog, it´d be their mother or whatever.

Last year, a guy grabbed me in the park ( yes, he came up behind me and held me firmly in his grasp with both hands) and when I was with my girlfriend and dog - he said our dog had threatened him and his dog. Not the case, though. He asked " would you like it if I threatened you? ". I answered : " No, but you are and you´re not a dog. Dogs are nicer than that ".

He slank away.

Others have reported having spoken to this moron. Haven´t seen him for a while - thankfully.

A psychopath is a psychopath - regardless of whether the " victim " is a human or an animal.

Posted

I agree with you, Moondancer! It´s all about being a responsible pet owner. And a responsible pe-eer! :)