Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Motorbike Riding School

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Does anyone know of an English speaking motorbike school in or around Essen? I can ride a bike but my licence is a Kuwait one and I need to get a German one to be able to ride (although I am aware that for a limited period I can ride on an international licence)

Cheers

Simon

Posted

Slinq8 are you still looking?I would be checking all the schools around a most have English speaking instuctors.If no one in your area has check surrounding towns cities as I know Bonn has.And have had a similar problem with the licence issue as well and still to a degree.Let me know how you get on as its seems a long term ssue looking at the posting dates cheers

Posted

Yes, am still looking. I found one in Essen who speak English but despite his numerous promised to get back to me" he hasn't yet and I can only assume he is more interested in teaching a group of German speakers rather than one or two English speakers. The annoying thing is I have a licence for a bike from Kuwait so can ride, but the licence cannot be exchanged directly for a German one. I even have a Harley Davidson sitting in the garage which I shipped over with me - all I can do is sit on it and pretend!!

Posted

Funny that I have a Dubai licence,same thing,said had to do written and driving test only though and also a HD 1200 sportstar but was able to ride a little around here before my six months period ended.Now my battery has died for the tenth time and this time I think its terminal.On recharger now and hopefully it will resurrect itself again.The local dealers want a 180.euro for new one.Costs more than a car battery.

Posted

180 Euros? Blimey. In Kuwait I paid 40 dinars, which is around 100 Euros. My bike will need work as it has been sat unstarted for a year now. It is heart breaking as it only has 3000km on the clock. This year I want to do my test, get the bike running again and get it registered. Have you passed your German test now?

Posted

Hey Dragonseer. Have you actually taken the bike test here yet? I finlly found a school in Essen and the owner speaks English well. However the first lesson today was a waste of time as the instructor could not (or maybe would not) speak English, and everything was revision. The school told me I have to do 12 basic theory lessons plus a rake of special theory lessons for the bike. After today's debarcle I queried whether I need to do the basic theory lessons given that I already have a UK car licence and I was told I had to. Have you had the same information? I am going to try calling ADAC or the car licence authority (forgotten the name in German) to see if I am being taken for a ride (pardon the pun). I have a Sportster too but only an 883. Bought it new 5 years ago and shipped it here from Kuwait - only has 3500km on the clock :-)

Posted

@dragonsheer

Normal acid batteries for your XLH cost between €50 and €80

Gel batteries cost up to €200 and Lithium Ionen up to €300

You know there is more then just that HD dealer in Bonn.