BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

98 posts in this topic

Posted

The largest 3 airlines (70% passenger market share) are enhancing the number of flights at Berlin Brandenburg Airport Willy Brandt (BER) in June 2012 !

Air Berlin raises the number of starts from 662 to 721 (plus 59) (+9%)

Lufthansa from 362 to 543 (plus 181) (+50%)

Easyjet from 256 to 267 (plus 11) (+4%)

The total increase of aircrafts movements is expected to be 10-12%

The summer schedule at BER, starting in June 2012 includes 75 airlines serving 173 destinations in 50 countries.

Posted

Looking forward to Berlin getting an airport a bit more befitting of the national capital, Schönefeld is grand and all but just doesn't really look the part, Tegel is probably going to be a loss for a lot of folks over that side of town, who now face a much longer journey to BER. I hope BER drives investment in Berlin as well. Interestingky enough (or not), we fly out of TXL on our summer hols and land back in BER as TXL will have closed in the meantime. Was a bit strange buying return tickets to a different airport!

Posted

Not overly happy with the Closure of Tegel TBH. I can be at Tegel from 130km North of Berlin in 90 minutes more or less - BER will take a lot longer. Guess it will have to be overnight hotel from june with my "regular" flights out

Posted

Being on Tegel's flightpath, looking forward to missing my 6am Rolls Royce-powered alarm call on a Saturday morning.

Posted

Living in Rudow, I can't wait for this convenient service to come to me!

Posted

Remember the days of Buzz Airlines, the tiny car park and the prostitutes patrolling the nearby streets? (They always looked frozen, poor things!)

Posted

And all this just because Prince Klaus decided that Berlin only needed one airport. How many airports does London have again? Or Paris? Or Madrid?

Yep, all by himself:

Im Frühjahr 1996 beschlossen die Bundesrepublik Deutschland sowie die Länder Berlin und Brandenburg den Ausbau des Flughafens zum Großflughafen Berlin Brandenburg.

Source

Closing Tempelhof and Tegel was decided under Diepgen.

And yeah it's a major pain in the ass for anyone living in the western or northern part of the city to get there. As is getting to Tegel from Rudow.

Posted

How wonderfull, I need to book 4 flights now for July and August - and the airline website still seems to think it´s Tegel - expensive Queue number here i come...

Posted

The state government under Diepgen elected to build the big airport, but it was Wowereit who insisted on the "Single Airport" solution as the answer to all of Berlin's problems.

Now he can deal with the weekly marches against the flight noise taking place around Müggelsee.

Posted

5. Schließung innerstädtischer Flughäfen. Keiner der gegenwärtigen und künftigen Gesellschafter der BBF beabsichtigt, einen der vorhandenen Standorte Tempelhof oder Tegel als Flughafen weiter zu betreiben. Dieses wird eine der Vorgaben bei der Privatisierung sein. Die Gesellschafter gehen davon aus, daß die bestehenden innerstädtischen Verkehrsflughäfen wie folgt geschlossen werden:

− Schließung von Tempelhof. Nach Vorliegen der gerichtlich überprüften und rechtskräftigen Planfeststellung für den Single-Standort Schönefeld wird der Verkehrsflughafen Tempelhof geschlossen.

− Schließung von Tegel. Der Verkehrsflughafen Tegel wird spätestens mit Inbetriebnahme der neuen Start- und Landebahn am Standort Schönefeld geschlossen.

Rough translation: 5. Closing of innercity airports. None of the current and future share holders of the BBF intend to continue running Tempelhof or Tegel as airports. This will be one of the guidelines for the privatization. The share holders expect that the inner city airports will be shut down as follows:

- Closing Tempelhof. [blabla]

- Closing Tegel. The airport Tegel will be shut down once the runways at Schönefeld begin operation.

That's what the senate under Diepgen decided in 1996. The SPD was involved in this, but not Wowi.

Anyone whining about this now is an idiot or illiterate.

Posted

Brilliant - only direct flight arrives at 22:05 on a saturday night which leaves me at least a 2.5 hr drive after that as no train I can make. It´s either that or a 3 hour stopover in copenhagen and an onward flight on a smaller city hopper - thanks a bunch for an international airport Berlin.

Yours sincerely

The illiterate idiot

Posted

Trudat Jeffo. With us, it's about 20 to 25 mins door to door (U9 -> 109/X9), whereas to BER it'll an hour or so. Barstages :angry:

Posted

Brilliant - only direct flight arrives at 22:05 on a saturday night which leaves me at least a 2.5 hr drive after that as no train I can make. It´s either that or a 3 hour stopover in copenhagen and an onward flight on a smaller city hopper - thanks a bunch for an international airport Berlin.

Yours sincerely

The illiterate idiot

Whoa, that's not what I meant. I meant the crowds holding hands around Müggelsee or whining in Kleinmachnow because planes fly over them at 1000 meters and crying that their kids would get a gazillion diseases because of this or that their property that they bought in 2005 could lose value. Schönefeld isn't exactly a surprise airport that suddenly appeared out of nowhere ;)

Whining about connections to the airport (hell even to Hauptbahnhof) and flight schedule are fine by me because they do suck.

Posted

No worries, just having a general whine...

Posted

Sorry, but I'm not. I live right on the 109 bus line, so I could be at the airport in around 12 minutes for EUR 2.30. The new journey will cost EUR 3.00

In the end, half of Berlin will be annoyed that a short trip to Tegel will now become a longer one to BER, and those of us who live closer to BER will be happy we don't have to travel to Tegel.

I think everyone would agree that it is a pain in the arse it is to get the Zone C. I have forgotten to buy one every time (every when going to and from there with my brother for Christmas) but our fav ticket men didn't seem to mind too much. Its going to be the logistical problems bookings flights and times thats going to be the real pain. I'm just hoping it resolves before my mum gets her e-ticket for her visit in a few months!